09-27-2006, 11:07 PM
How many accounts do you have?

0-25?
26-50?
51-100?
100+?

jinx 88
02-09-2007, 04:53 PM
I have about 35, but will have to add some this year to pay for the new J.D. Z.

paponte
02-10-2007, 05:55 AM
We will be hovering around 200 this season. Still a little early to give an exact number. :)

ACutAbovesiny
02-10-2007, 11:47 AM
We will be hovering around 200 this season. Still a little early to give an exact number. :)

how many crews do you run? I am running one crew right now and by my estimates could handle about 100 per crew. I guess I will need to get 100 before I will know for sure.

GreenN'Clean
02-10-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm at 75 and would like to get to 100 this year

sildoc
02-10-2007, 12:38 PM
I average around 50 for just myself. this year I will be adding at least one employee to keep from burning out in august. 2 years ago I got rid of all the low profit jobs and all the pIA's. I averge right now at about 35% profit to gross ratio and want to try and stay there. How many we will add this year is unknown but probably around 20 and up aerations from 600 to 1200.

rodfather
02-10-2007, 02:21 PM
225 or so...number of accounts means nothing to mean, acreage does though

StBalor
02-10-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm at 75 and would like to get to 100 this year

Ditto, 74 but am shooting for 100 this year.

paponte
02-10-2007, 04:31 PM
how many crews do you run? I am running one crew right now and by my estimates could handle about 100 per crew. I guess I will need to get 100 before I will know for sure.

That would be one steady cutting crew and a maintenance crew cutting commercials on Mondays, and whenever needed for weather conditions. Your calculations aren't too far off, I normally figure in the 150-175 range for a one truck operation for 1/4 acre or less properties. You should have 2 trucks and equipment available once you get into that range simply for insurance.

As Rod says, it's not about the accounts, but rather acreage. We have roughly the same amount of accounts as he does, but he cuts WAAAAYYYYY more acreage than I do. Of course that adds up to larger machines and more trucks, and labor needed. :)

lawnpro724
02-10-2007, 04:35 PM
I had over a 100 accounts last year and lots of other work, installs, shrubs, retaining walls, water falls and so on. I have one full time and one part time employees and hope to pick up around 65 more lawns from a guy who is getting out of the business and handing them over to me. I hope 2007 is another great year like 2006 was.

ACutAbovesiny
02-10-2007, 08:44 PM
That would be one steady cutting crew and a maintenance crew cutting commercials on Mondays, and whenever needed for weather conditions. Your calculations aren't too far off, I normally figure in the 150-175 range for a one truck operation for 1/4 acre or less properties. You should have 2 trucks and equipment available once you get into that range simply for insurance.

As Rod says, it's not about the accounts, but rather acreage. We have roughly the same amount of accounts as he does, but he cuts WAAAAYYYYY more acreage than I do. Of course that adds up to larger machines and more trucks, and labor needed. :)

I hear you. All of our accounts are postage stamps. There isnt one thats even close to 1/4 acre. All the houses here are on top of each other.

We do have two sets of most the equipment. We rotate our mowers so we can service them during the season and not get held up with no equipment. All 21' push mowers. We have two trailers too. An open one and closed. We set the closed one up for the maintence and the closed one has our winter stuff on it...ATV, snow blower, etc. If we get enough accounts we can always store the winter stuff and use the open trailer for cutting too.

paponte
02-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. Just make sure you buy stock in a goos aspirin company! As always with growth and more accounts, comes more headaches! HaHa.:laugh:

scottish lscape1
02-10-2007, 10:21 PM
83 confirmed for 2007, got ride of 15 cr*p lawns to subs, looking to get to 100 choice lawns this season.

koster_irrigation
02-18-2007, 09:58 AM
300+ Active Customers

Irrigation

Wells
03-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Right around 150 weekly accounts and 2 crews.

dcondon
03-07-2007, 03:24 PM
225 or so...number of accounts means nothing to mean, acreage does though

You took the works out of my mouth Rod.

2menandamower
03-07-2007, 04:42 PM
1st season I had 8 regular customers, year 2 I ended with 33. So far this season I have all 33 returning and have already added 5. So 38 Regular as of now and looking to grow that number before the heavy season starts.

jtoddjr89
03-15-2007, 04:21 AM
I only have 11 acounts but that equalls to about 37 acres. hoping to and more acres soon. bidding on a 63 acre soon.

jtoddjr89
03-15-2007, 04:25 AM
yes I live in a rural area with large lawns many 3 acres or more

JayD
03-15-2007, 11:29 PM
How about the part timers? same question. how many accounts do you have and how long doe's it it take you to do them. How many helping you if any?

1cooltreeguy
03-15-2007, 11:39 PM
220 Reg.+ (Because of real estate brokers and companies)

NC Greenscaper
03-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Hey 1 cool where are you located on the outer banks. I'm in Newport, Morehead city

Chilehead
03-16-2007, 12:26 AM
53 regulars for 2007. Looking to hire my first full-timer right now. Once acquired, hope to have 84 regulars by end of May.

JayD
03-16-2007, 09:19 AM
53 regulars for 2007. Looking to hire my first full-timer right now. Once acquired, hope to have 84 regulars by end of May.

Wow, thats good. How long have you been part time?
I am just starting this season, taking over about 10 accounts from a guy who just wants to do applications now. One is a small commercial and the rest are resd.cuts. I have got a few new ones lined up but am looking for about 10 or 12 more. But I have full time job as an electrician and would like this to part time for now.:walking:

haybaler
03-16-2007, 09:31 AM
I average around 50 for just myself. this year I will be adding at least one employee to keep from burning out in august. 2 years ago I got rid of all the low profit jobs and all the pIA's. I averge right now at about 35% profit to gross ratio and want to try and stay there. How many we will add this year is unknown but probably around 20 and up aerations from 600 to 1200.

you aerate 600 lawns a year? I think I misunderstood something. ya I remember being toast by the end of august. employees are nice, but your profit margin will go down.

sildoc
03-16-2007, 11:10 AM
you aerate 600 lawns a year? I think I misunderstood something. ya I remember being toast by the end of august. employees are nice, but your profit margin will go down.

yeah 600 regular clients at this point for aerations. i want 1200 by end of this year. i realize my profit margins will go down some and willing to sacrifice 5% which overall will put me way better off than if I were doing it alone.

So far I have aerated over 200 lawns this year. another 50 next week along with the accounts. most houses are ticky tacky 3000 sqft and i get around 45=50 each aeration they take maybe 20 mins to do.

Chilehead
03-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Wow, thats good. How long have you been part time?
I am just starting this season, taking over about 10 accounts from a guy who just wants to do applications now. One is a small commercial and the rest are resd.cuts. I have got a few new ones lined up but am looking for about 10 or 12 more. But I have full time job as an electrician and would like this to part time for now.:walking:

I've been in business for myself since Oct.2002. I do landscaping/hardscapes/irrigation in between lawns.

Myk
03-21-2007, 02:18 AM
I got 7 accounts=30 lawns takes me by myself 3 days. I got a question to the big accounts I admire your hard work but how do you get so many accounts thats the thing I'm struggling with now is stitting by the phone and no phone calls my rates are the same as the next guy. I would love go full time but not enough accounts. my last two customers came up to me while I was doing a yard and wanted a bid, thats been my best way of getting customers but I average off at the end of the year get two new customers lose two next year due to moving or sale of property. any advise would be great

casco73
03-25-2007, 01:05 AM

you say you cut 50 lawns a week by yourself? In how many days? and what sizes do the lawns range from?

sildoc
03-25-2007, 01:37 AM
you say you cut 50 lawns a week by yourself? In how many days? and what sizes do the lawns range from?

Good time to follow up. takes 3 days to cut 50 lawns. well not quite. average is about 4-5000 sq ft of turf. I uped so far another 200 aerations. I have a part time helper doing all aerations and have near all the 600+ what we have picked up done. april is almost here where I end up doing tons of bidding so he is going to work full time from april to may and at that point I will see if he will stay on full time. I would like to have 90 accounts and 1200 aerations by July. we will see but it is an obtainable goal I will shoot for. I have spent 2000 in advertising plus my truck lettering so far this year and am sending out another 5000 post cards in may.

casco73
03-25-2007, 01:46 AM
yeah I have 30 lawns right now working by my self takes me one to two days to do depending on weather or unexpected problems. do you get a good return with postcards ? I've been thinking of sending about 500 in a targeted area just not sure if its worth doing right now.

lawnman20
03-25-2007, 01:58 AM
850 acc and growing as of 3/22/2007 hope to have 1000 by apr 1

AbsoluteH&L
03-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Had around 30-35 last year. Goal is 50 for this year. Biggest account might be 2 acres, but it's hilly and a PITA. Good money and customer though.

Loy's Home Services, LLC
04-04-2007, 12:31 AM
5 large comm. 28 res. and still counting.

bigmudder77
04-04-2007, 03:58 PM
how do you get this many i have 2 as of 4-2-07

snowshreadr4ever
04-04-2007, 04:11 PM
850 acc and growing as of 3/22/2007 hope to have 1000 by apr 1

how many crews do you have to take care of 850 lawns?
what part of michigan are you in?

casco73
04-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Had around 30-35 last year. Goal is 50 for this year. Biggest account might be 2 acres, but it's hilly and a PITA. Good money and customer though.

how much do you charge for your biggest lawn???

JayD
04-04-2007, 05:27 PM
8 as of two weeks ago, still would like to have about 4 or 5 more. Only doing part time. Have full time job.

Poncho25
04-04-2007, 09:12 PM
At the end of last season i had 28 accounts. A few of them were home owners selling and the new owners wanted to tackle their lawn care themselfs...at least till summer hits and they see what they in for. A bunch were to much of a PITA so I got rid of them, as of today, 4/4/07 I have 14 yearly accounts, 2 bids as of now to do on friday. This July will start my 2nd year in the business so, I believe I am on target atm. I just got into a very wealthy gated sub-div and plan on grinding the pavement with door hangers this week. I would like to be at around 30+ by the end of this season. I am solo and do this FT, yes I have alot of free time, but that allows me to other things to help my company grow, besides I am not in this for the $$, I do this because I actually enjoy it. As long as they take care of their yards and are willing to invest in it, I will give it my all. In my past job I made enough $$ to do this PT if I choose to, and plan on retiring when I am in my mid 40's anyway :) I will be 34 this June.

casco73
04-04-2007, 09:54 PM
At the end of last season i had 28 accounts. A few of them were home owners selling and the new owners wanted to tackle their lawn care themselfs...at least till summer hits and they see what they in for. A bunch were to much of a PITA so I got rid of them, as of today, 4/4/07 I have 14 yearly accounts, 2 bids as of now to do on friday. This July will start my 2nd year in the business so, I believe I am on target atm. I just got into a very wealthy gated sub-div and plan on grinding the pavement with door hangers this week. I would like to be at around 30+ by the end of this season. I am solo and do this FT, yes I have alot of free time, but that allows me to other things to help my company grow, besides I am not in this for the $$, I do this because I actually enjoy it. As long as they take care of their yards and are willing to invest in it, I will give it my all. In my past job I made enough $$ to do this PT if I choose to, and plan on retiring when I am in my mid 40's anyway :) I will be 34 this June.

what would you say as of last season your gross income for your services??

Jake's Lawn Service
04-11-2007, 07:01 PM
17 accounts for me:) , I am 15 and still waiting till I turn 16 to get my license:)
Jake

mosmgras
04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
40 with one employee. Thats 35 weekly and 5 bi-weekly.

cturfmgmt
01-20-2014, 02:23 AM
Everyone bases a company off of account size. This is all I hear from competitors at gas stations. "How many accounts do you have?" WHO CARES! 200 accounts paying 25 or 2 accounts paying 1M. Profit matters. Not quantity of accounts.

32vld
01-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Everyone bases a company off of account size. This is all I hear from competitors at gas stations. "How many accounts do you have?" WHO CARES! 200 accounts paying 25 or 2 accounts paying 1M. Profit matters. Not quantity of accounts.

Talk about bringing the dead to life. When talking extremes the numbers are not important because not many people have the 200 or 2 accounts paying big bucks.

For the most part then number of accounts is a easy fast way to judge a business. That with the average property size of the area where one operates.

Everyone has the right to feel proud of the route they have.

whiffyspark
01-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Talk about bringing the dead to life. When talking extremes the numbers are not important because not many people have the 200 or 2 accounts paying big bucks.

For the most part then number of accounts is a easy fast way to judge a business. That with the average property size of the area where one operates.

Everyone has the right to feel proud of the route they have.

We had 38 accounts at a place I worked at.

What size of company is that?
Posted via Mobile Device

cturfmgmt
01-20-2014, 10:20 AM
I realize the thread is old but people read these long after the thread is cold. You should be proud of any success you have-routes, referrals, etc. Account number still is a very poor measurement of success. Five accounts with little service penetration is not the same as two full-service lawns. Anyone wasting time sizing up the next guy is time you could have been productively growing your business. With many years experience, Id never give competitors figures.
Posted via Mobile Device

whiffyspark
01-20-2014, 10:30 AM
I realize the thread is old but people read these long after the thread is cold. You should be proud of any success you have-routes, referrals, etc. Account number still is a very poor measurement of success. Five accounts with little service penetration is not the same as two full-service lawns. Anyone wasting time sizing up the next guy is time you could have been productively growing your business. With many years experience, Id never give competitors figures.
Posted via Mobile Device

Why?

We don't have competitors. We are all friends. Theres enough work to go around for everyone that needs it.

Say you service 100 lawns in a town of 40,000. Thats not even 1% of the population.
Posted via Mobile Device

hemiman
01-20-2014, 10:52 AM
How about this question.. How many of these company's are still in business today that replied to this thread years ago???

cturfmgmt
01-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Nice sentiment and all, but I've had yards stolen by other "friends" from the same church congregation -a MUCH more established businesses.I was 19. He was mid-late 50s and had children my age. Very large company. My equipment dealer is VERY successful at his sales and service business but also has a mowing route on the side. He wants his customers to succeed, so he'll give out some info on his own properties. This season, he had one stolen from him by a customer over a few bucks. This happened only after a friendly convoy at the counter. While "we're all friends" is a great mindset. Not everyone plays by the same rules. I wouldn't steal from anyone, but I've seen it and experienced it first hand.
Posted via Mobile Device

whiffyspark
01-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Nice sentiment and all, but I've had yards stolen by other "friends" from the same church congregation -a MUCH more established businesses.I was 19. He was mid-late 50s and had children my age. Very large company. My equipment dealer is VERY successful at his sales and service business but also has a mowing route on the side. He wants his customers to succeed, so he'll give out some info on his own properties. This season, he had one stolen from him by a customer over a few bucks. This happened only after a friendly convoy at the counter. While "we're all friends" is a great mindset. Not everyone plays by the same rules. I wouldn't steal from anyone, but I've seen it and experienced it first hand.
Posted via Mobile Device

Possibly the customer was looking for a change? Can't always blame it on the person.

Coincidences happen. Yeah its shady to take someone's accounts. But I advertise so much I wouldn't know if it is someone's or not
Posted via Mobile Device

sildoc
01-20-2014, 11:32 AM
How about this question.. How many of these company's are still in business today that replied to this thread years ago???

Were still around! Will be for quite some time!!!

zwhit81
01-28-2014, 09:44 AM
33 accounts last year looking to grow to 40 this season. I am a part time guy.

KODAKMOWING99
01-30-2014, 08:58 PM
I was up to 70+ accounts last year, doubled from the year before.

georgialawn88
01-30-2014, 10:50 PM
I have 105. should be at 300 by july 1 2014

georgialawn88
01-30-2014, 10:53 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

you may need some therapy youre very angry:cry:

Cedar Lawn Care
02-02-2014, 08:54 PM
20 in a city of 30k after 1 season. I hope to be at 35+ by the end of the 2014 season.