PDA

View Full Version : Water Standing in Footer Trench

turfquip
09-28-2006, 09:39 AM
OK long story short....a guy called me to do a small, 3 foot high allen block wall adjacent to his driveway which has inadequate drainage at the bottom.

Previously, he hired some jackass who used anchor windsor (the small ones) and that wall promptly toppled. That guy is out of business now and those stones have been removed but what remains is a trench filled with mud and sediment, no base gravel to be found.

Normally I would'nt consider a job like this but my truck mechanic (a damn good one) is buddies with him and really wants me to take care of this guy who is his neighbor.

This potential customer acknowledges that water will again fill the lower portion of his driveway well and possibly affect the finished wall, should I decide to proceed. He also agrees that I as the contractor, because of these unusual conditions will not be held responsible in case of failure.

Now, here's the question: :rolleyes:

Is it possible to build a good base in this environment? I would like to excavate to dry, undisturbed soil, ram the heck out of it, use geo-tex, compact the gravel properly in 2" lifts, etc., etc. I know how to build a wall properly...I guess I don't have complete confidence in my ability to create a stable base given this set of circumstances.

Sure, the customer said he won't hold me accountable, but I know I am accountable anyway, since my truck will be at the site with company name, etc.

Any suggestions?

wurkn with amish
09-28-2006, 11:59 AM
is there no way to pipe the water out of there?

turfquip
09-28-2006, 07:27 PM
The concrete contractor/builder did him dirty and the grade runs the wrong way. He's had a quote for removal of the lowest concrete segments (near the garage door) installation of a strip drain which would allow water to exit on the other side...but, he doesn't want to spend the $3,500 right now when the wall is a priority.

The left side of the driveway near the garage door is 'on grade'. The right side is where he needs the wall. The water ends up on the right side. In a torrential rain the garage door leaks as you might expect. This is a bi-level.

The excess runs off to the left...but until it does, the right side where the trench is gets saturated.

YardPro
09-28-2006, 08:25 PM
put a catch basin in the area just off the drive and pipe the water out through the wall

Mike33
09-29-2006, 08:28 PM
put a catch basin in the area just off the drive and pipe the water out through the wall
not a bad idea!
mike

Mike33
09-29-2006, 08:30 PM
OK long story short....a guy called me to do a small, 3 foot high allen block wall adjacent to his driveway which has inadequate drainage at the bottom.

Previously, he hired some jackass who used anchor windsor (the small ones) and that wall promptly toppled. That guy is out of business now and those stones have been removed but what remains is a trench filled with mud and sediment, no base gravel to be found.

Normally I would'nt consider a job like this but my truck mechanic (a damn good one) is buddies with him and really wants me to take care of this guy who is his neighbor.

This potential customer acknowledges that water will again fill the lower portion of his driveway well and possibly affect the finished wall, should I decide to proceed. He also agrees that I as the contractor, because of these unusual conditions will not be held responsible in case of failure.

Now, here's the question: :rolleyes:

Is it possible to build a good base in this environment? I would like to excavate to dry, undisturbed soil, ram the heck out of it, use geo-tex, compact the gravel properly in 2" lifts, etc., etc. I know how to build a wall properly...I guess I don't have complete confidence in my ability to create a stable base given this set of circumstances.

Sure, the customer said he won't hold me accountable, but I know I am accountable anyway, since my truck will be at the site with company name, etc.

Any suggestions?
Do you have a pic? If i can see it i would give my 2 cents worth. This is critical.
Mike

DVS Hardscaper
10-01-2006, 10:04 AM
www.lun-drain.com

thatsalluneed

Dirty Water
10-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Seems to me that drainage issue of the poorly graded driveway needs to be addressed before spends money on a cosmetic issue.

turfquip
10-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. After much deliberation I decided to call the customer and politely decline the job.

Yes, I could have built him his wall but at what cost...even if it didn't fail I would at least be constantly worried that it might.

Just aint worth it.