PDA

View Full Version : Best "homeowner" grade walkbehind?

Eastcoaster
09-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Need to step up to something to allow me to nicely finish my lawn off in much less time than my 21" Lawnboy Gold Series will allow.

Have a family now and even though I can knock out the yard in an hour or so if I don't have to edge,etc. with the string trimmer, I always find myself in a time bind. {Probably being able to start and finish in many circumstances that I woulnd't even attempt w/my 21" if I had a larger (read: wider) mower}

Looking for something in the 33-36" range for my relatively flat 1/2 acre with the options for mulching and to purchase an Accelerator bagger later.

I was initially looking at the Billy Goat as it is carried by a local dealer but the Quick 36 seems to get great press on this site.

Also, I've ruled out the Troy Built (timing belt between the blades) and the Simplicity (way too long in size). The "compactness" of the Billy Goat/Quick 36 is appealing.

Quick 36 best all around? Or, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

LarryF
09-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Need to step up to something to allow me to nicely finish my lawn off in much less time than my 21" Lawnboy Gold Series will allow.

Have a family now and even though I can knock out the yard in an hour or so if I don't have to edge,etc. with the string trimmer, I always find myself in a time bind. {Probably being able to start and finish in many circumstances that I woulnd't even attempt w/my 21" if I had a larger (read: wider) mower}

Looking for something in the 33-36" range for my relatively flat 1/2 acre with the options for mulching and to purchase an Accelerator bagger later.

I was initially looking at the Billy Goat as it is carried by a local dealer but the Quick 36 seems to get great press on this site.

Also, I've ruled out the Troy Built (timing belt between the blades) and the Simplicity (way too long in size). The "compactness" of the Billy Goat/Quick 36 is appealing.

Quick 36 best all around? Or, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Based on what your just wrote, I'm pretty sure you'll end up with a Quick 36. I would if I were in your shoes. The next decision for you is which one.

BUCKEYE MOWING
09-28-2006, 10:38 AM
I am sure that the Quick 36 is a good mower built by a great company...I use mine in alot of diffrent areas and it always performs .....Great price and great customer service. It would be a great choice ..but it will come down to personel choice and budget.

Eastcoaster
09-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the time of each of your replies.

Most everything that is a "serious", yet not 42+" prof. grade, seems to come in around the $2000.00 mark.

I love the way that my Lawnboy cuts the yard (And, actually, I DO like cutting the grass.) but I just have SO many instances that where I should cut, but we have to go here or there in an hour. Or, we get home and there's only an hour or so of daylight left...well, you get the picture.

It's just that I work a retail job. Two 12 hour days on, then two off. 9A-9P. So, if it rains on one or both of my days off and I go back to work. Or, as my wife usually works on one of my days off, (I watch my 2yr and 4 mo. old children on the day my wife works.) I can be really scr@wed after 4-5 days of not mowing. THEN, it takes me forever to double cut, or to bag using the Lawnboy.

Where, with something like the Quick 36, I could almost mow more often and in less time. (45 minutes before we leave? OK honey! I'm going to go mow the yard and then I'll jump in the shower!)

Probably a little too much info. for most of you but that's my story and as to why I'm doing some serious homework before dropping the dough on a walkbehind.

Thanks for listening.

And, if you read this far.... Are the Gator Blades worth the $$$$ ?
I'd like to mostly mulch.

BUCKEYE MOWING
09-28-2006, 11:11 AM
The Quick 36 stripes like a champ.....blows a 21" lawnboy away.....you do not need to spend tha $$$ on gator blades

Daner
09-28-2006, 11:18 AM
I have tryed the Quick 36... and It should work real fine for your needs...the price Is right too.

Eastcoaster
09-28-2006, 11:22 AM
I actually live just down the road from the factory here in town.

(New Holland, PA)

stryper
09-28-2006, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the Simplicity (http://www.simplicitymfg.com/pacer.php), if for no other reason than the name. Not to knock the other brands, but Simplicity has been around for a long time and has always had a good reputation. And, really, nothing in the homeowner category cuts/stripes like a Simplicity. :cool2:

Also, while you say you're interested in a "homeowner" grade w/b, I didn't see anywhere how much you want to spend. You might just be within arm's reach of a small "commericial" mower that will give you a super clean cut (due to higher tip speeds) and last you forever. :weightlifter:

Finally, there's almost always a good financing deal to be had, which may open you options a little bit. But whatever you decide, just remember: dealer support first.

freedm2
09-28-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm in the exact same situation; looking for a residential grade or above mower to cut my mowing time of my 21" Lawn Boy.

I've been looking around and got a price of 2900 for new, leftover 2005 Husq. WH3615E (Kaw. 15HP, IZT Hydro, ETS Controls) but I still like to spend less.

What exactly is the Quick 36? Is this the mower by Better Outdoor Products. I've never heard of them. It's a recommended product?

In addition I was looking at the Sutech Stealth, Swisher 42", Troy-Bilt 33" (Used).

A loaded Quck 36" seems to go for 2600. I'm I better off going /w the $2900 Husq. at that point?

Eastcoaster
09-28-2006, 12:45 PM
The Better Outdoor Products Quick 36 seems to be the way to go. Despite being dealer direct, they seem to stand behind their product, and will send you email addresses of of other customers in your area who will give you a shot at stopping by and trying out the product. The $2600 that you listed must be for one of their upper level mowers. They start at just under $2000.

Do a little searching on the Sutech on here and you won't find much good written about them. (Although the $1300 price tag does get folks to look.)

I've seen some good written about the Billy Goat and it does look to be similar in construction to the Sutech.
If you're in Exton, PA, there's a dealer in the Norristown/Bridgeport area or one up here near me in Ephrata.

(Also, a dealership in Goodville, PA (near Shady Maple on Rt. 23 went out of business recently. They are having an auction on Sept. 30th and I believe they still had a Billy Goat remaining when they closed. Just an FYI)

Personally, I'd stay away from the Troy-Built as (and I'm uneducated in this...) it has a "timer belt" that connects the two blade spindle shafts that, if one blade runs into something while mowing, can throw off the blade timing causing it to skip grass. I was told that it is difficult for the homeowner to get the blades back in sync. (Same for the now discontinued Cub Cadet walk behind that was made by Troy-Built)

Lastly, JB Zimmerman's Hardware in New Holland sells the Simplicity. While it does come with a striping roller bar and despite many in my extended family having great success with Simplicity products over the years, the design is just too long overall for my liking. (To spend over $2000 on it. It is marked down to $1900.00 currently per not selling)

I'm going to trust the opinions of the pro's on this site, as many of them use the Quick 36 to handle their gated and smaller properties and liking that the Quick isn't belt driven.
That, and 33-36" is pretty much getting big enough for me and my yard to look at anything "professional" and bigger like a Scag, etc.

LarryF
09-28-2006, 02:37 PM
I
What exactly is the Quick 36? Is this the mower by Better Outdoor Products. I've never heard of them. It's a recommended product?

What exactly is the Quick 36? A full description plus a video of it in action comes with a click on the lower, right sponsor's icon at the top of this page, or you can click on this instead.

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/

It seems to be highly praised, even by LCOs.

TAZ
09-28-2006, 04:04 PM
I have a Q36. I looked at a billy goat before getting my quick. I was looking at a Ferris hydrocut and the dealer had a Billygoat there. Noo way do they compare to the Quick.

I much allot with my quick allthough with the colder weather and gummy grass up here that is not a feasable as it was in the warmer months. It does as good as a job as any other mulching mower that I have uesed though.

Gators I would stay away from if your mulching mainly grass. the standard high lifts are best just be prepared to sharpen them often if you mulch.

Call gary at better and talk to him they are nice folks. I have been very happy with my mower.

-TAZ

noseha
09-28-2006, 04:14 PM
the best w/b is the one you buy and like!

LarryF
09-28-2006, 05:51 PM
the best w/b is the one you buy and like!

I agree that's generally the case. But it isn't with me, because I don't have a Quick 36. And the reason for that is I have a couple of old 21" self-propelled walk-behind mowers that refuse to die. But if they ever do, I'm positive a Quick 36 is what I would replace both of them with.

LarryF
09-30-2006, 09:17 AM
I agree that's generally the case. But it isn't with me, because I don't have a Quick 36. And the reason for that is I have a couple of old 21" self-propelled walk-behind mowers that refuse to die. But if they ever do, I'm positive a Quick 36 is what I would replace both of them with.

But that situation might be changing. Look at their website again.
http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/
A sale just started today, and it looks like they lopped $200 off the price of the two less expensive ones. Really looks tempting to me, because the 21" ones I have couldn't be worth even a hundred bucks apiece.