PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Hustler

lawnstriper23
09-28-2006, 10:31 AM
PJ,
Question, why does it seem as though Hustler nickel and dimes their customers? Examples would be:
·
Why can’t Hustler just add an hour meter to the machines instead of making the customer buy one? This is a basic item that is needed to keep maintenance up to date and probably costs Hustler $5.
· When advertising a mulching “kit”, why doesn’t the kit come with the mulching blades since the blades make up a big portion of the mulching process?
· Why can’t the blowout kit be standard on these machines (MFT)? It seems as though many of us owners have the same issue with clippings coming out the front of our machines.
· When buying the bagger (MFT) you must purchase the bagging blade separately?

I’m sure there are more items to add to this list, but these are concerns that I am having with my machine. I am not trying to be a jerk or crybaby, but I just forked out 4K for a machine that I will need to keep forking out money till I get the exact setup that I am looking for. I am inclined to sell this machine to look for something else. Please let me know your thoughts on these issues……………..Striper

46mack
09-30-2006, 06:00 PM
let us not forget the armrests. i have added all of the other equipment you mentioned also

mowerconsultant
10-01-2006, 04:59 PM
We could add every option you have listed here in this thread, but at what cost? not everyone needs them, not everyone wants them.
If we added them from the factory the mower would cost more for you to buy.
We made the decision to offer these items as accessories so each individual owner can make the decision if they want them.
Mulch kit's..... we offer 1 kit for different size decks in many cases, this is why we do not offer the blades with the kits, some of our kits do include blades.
Mini FasTrak anti blow out kits are different for both decks (36 and 42), if we included them in the mulch kit we would have 2 different mulch kit's, also, not everyone needs this kit.
As to the bagging blade for the catcher, I will ask that question to our product manager, I honestly don't know why we don't put it in there.

Pj

gps_jetskier
10-02-2006, 07:59 AM
I don't buy it. I can't think of a person in their right mind that passed up a Hustler becuase he couldn't afford the $5 hour meter, or absolutely didn't want it on his machine. It's just being cheap. Period.

I would think from a warranty stand point Hustler would even want to know how many hours are on a machine.

gpshemi

lawnstriper23
10-02-2006, 07:46 PM
I think that Hustler should refund all of us owners for the $31 they charge for an hour meter. This is like buying a car without the odometer in it. It is a simple item that should be included with every machine sold. Who in their right mind wouldn't want this item? Easier to keep track of hours for routine maintenance.
Now the mulch kits and bagger are different stories. I know there are different size decks, so why not make different size kits. Instead we have to purchase a block off plate (or referred to as a "mulch kit") and blades separately. Just doesn't make sense to me. The blowout kit is yet another story. There are many owners out there that are having issues with the clippings blowing out the front of their machines, but a separate blowout kit needs to be purchased to remedy this issue? I just got done dropping 6 yards of fresh mulch in my flowerbeds and every time I cut I have tons of clippings in my fresh mulch. What a joke...........Again, not trying to be a jerk or a crybaby about this, but I just talked my wife into letting me drop 4K into this machine and now I will need to go back to her asking for more cash to help get the machine to an acceptable operation level. Probably won't happen so I can imagine my MFT might be up for sale very soon.........................

cranesrule
10-02-2006, 09:13 PM
I certainly don't think anyone in their right mind could call Hustler cheap. The excellent warrantees they put on their machines certainly cost them $$$, as do the regional representatives and service managers that are so involved and readily available to respond to their customers when needed. I would much rather have Hustler spending their money on this kind of service and support than get a free hour meter on my machine.

Mark

Scraper
10-03-2006, 06:57 AM
My Super Z came with an hour meter....if it didn't, I wouldn't cry about having to buy one.

lawnstriper23
10-03-2006, 01:14 PM
My Super Z came with an hour meter....if it didn't, I wouldn't cry about having to buy one.
Nobody is crying here so quit wasting your time taking pot shots. I am simply trying to make sense of why an hour meter is so hard for Hustler to include when purchasing a new machine. Open up your fricking maintenance guide and take a look at what measurement they use as a general rule for maintenance, HOURS........This would also be good to have for warranty claims should any arise. I am just stating that Hustler should add this simple little device to help out the customers who fork over the cash for the machine and warranty. Now do you understand what I am getting at or shall I continue....................

Scraper
10-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Nobody is crying here so quit wasting your time taking pot shots. I am simply trying to make sense of why an hour meter is so hard for Hustler to include when purchasing a new machine. Open up your fricking maintenance guide and take a look at what measurement they use as a general rule for maintenance, HOURS........This would also be good to have for warranty claims should any arise. I am just stating that Hustler should add this simple little device to help out the customers who fork over the cash for the machine and warranty. Now do you understand what I am getting at or shall I continue....................

Maybe you should continue on to your local dealer and buy one. You guys crack me up with all the whining. Don't you have a watch? LOL

Mickhippy
10-04-2006, 03:25 AM
I would have to agree. An hour meter should be standard on ALL riders, whether commercial or not! That goes for all manufactures, not just Hustler!

wingnutdave
10-04-2006, 07:03 AM
Too much coffee??? Maybe not enough coffee? Hey, were all on the same side of the fence here, not against each other.....

The hour meter thing seems silly, its (considering the cost) a fairly necessary item. the maintance is based on hours (as previously mentioned), and while not a must, its a convience.
The armreasts are a comfort thing, Not at all necessary, its your choice, nothing in the operation of the machine or cutting is harmed by its being optional. PJ's point on that is correct.

The Blow out baffle is (in my opinion) being downright cheep. Its a known, and proven fact, the machine needs one. Not a comfort thing, but a grass cutting problem, and could affect your purchase decision. And based on its cost (a single cheep piece of steel) there is no excuse in the world why they should not put it on at the factory. And charging for this makes you feel gyped. (if you left off one blade, it would still cut grass, but for the optional cost of adding a blade, it will cut better? poor compairson, but it is similar.)
IMHO this "must" should be sent cost free to every MFT owner.
The mulch "kit" is a poor management decision. Saves Hustler a couple of pennies by limiting the number of "kits" they have to offer. Also can cause grief, as my mower came with the "mulch" kit, installed,,,,, only the block off plate, regular blades. So its probably not doing the best job it could,and all for a savings of pennies.

Sorry for the long ramble, but the bottom line is the machine IS the best, the decisions for some of the "accessories" is a bit off, and can hurt the brand name.

gps_jetskier
10-04-2006, 08:00 AM
My Z came with an hour meter too, but I certainly see his point. I'm not crying. Maybe cheap was harsh. I agree. How bout overly frugal?

I just think he's right and some things should just come on a machine.

Not that I think these things should be standard on all models (Hustler does seem to have economy models, and loaded models), but I was pondering this.

Why not make the suspension seat a standard? No one prefers a standard seat do they? Why not offer the flex forks as standard equipment on machines if they're the next best thing? Fusion blades? I mean we are trying to sell the greatest mowing machine on the planet right?

Assuming Hustler's buyers are doing their job, work out a price reduction for a larger quantities, and if these parts were done on the entire line, wouldn't the slight increase the price be offset by the increased volume?

Did anyone mention passing the labor on the the consumer to put these extras on?

gpshemi

lawnstriper23
10-04-2006, 10:20 AM
*trucewhiteflag*

I just wanted to say that I am done complaining about this subject. Guess it was just my time of the month and I apologize if I came off harsh to others. I just need to realize more cash will need to be invested in my machine to get it how I want it. I love my MFT and you can probably tell because it is hard for me not to cut my grass every day when I get home from work. So with that being said, I surrender and call a truce :)

puppypaws
10-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Is it certain models that do not come with hour meters, the last 4 Super Z's I've owned had hour meters on them when they were delivered.

fiveoboy01
10-04-2006, 08:43 PM
I don't own a Hustler, but my Turf Tracer did not come with an hourmeter.

I didn't make a huge fuss. I just bought one and installed it.

But, in my opinion, EVERY mower made by ANY manufacturer should come with an hourmeter(I guess you could exclude push mowers).

-You'd think the mfr. would WANT one on every machine for warranty claims.
-It's easier to sell or buy a used mower when you know how many hours are on it.

HenryB
10-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Most buyers are cheap and purchase based on price. These extras raise the price and buyers would be lost.

Mickhippy
10-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Suspension seat etc I would agree, they are a luxury but an hour meter is a necessity and Hustler could probably pick them up for just a few dollars I'd imagine, with bulk purchase.
The whole maintenance schedule is determined by them after all.

mowerconsultant
10-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Is it certain models that do not come with hour meters, the last 4 Super Z's I've owned had hour meters on them when they were delivered.

The only mowers we don't put hour meters on from the factory is the Fastrak and Mini FasTrak series of residential units.

puppypaws
10-05-2006, 11:21 PM
The only mowers we don't put hour meters on from the factory is the Fastrak and Mini FasTrak series of residential units.Does this mean the dealers install them on all the Hustler's they sell, or should I say certain dealers do. I actually thought any machine that needed to be serviced at time intervals would have a hour meter installed at the factory, that would be like buying a new car and the manufacture offering the speed odometer as an accessory, it just doesn't make sense.

fishinpa
10-08-2006, 11:19 AM
I concur the hour meters should be on every mower sold by all manufacturers, including the push versions. Like someone else mentioned, they are like odometers. I think I made a point about this in another post a few months back.

I also think think mulching kits should be a complete kit: Cut off plate, blow out plate and blades. as a set, designed for specific machines to adress the problems/options the name indicates.

My dealer was floored when he got my "mulching kit" shipped in and it was just the 1 piece. He said he was placing a call to the distributor about it and basically came back to me saying "That is what hustler calls a kit and I don't agree with it, but that's just the way it is". I did my research after being COVERED in grass while using this "mulching kit" and called asking him to order the blow-out "kit" (supplying him with a pn at the same time) and he asked "what the hell is that"? I had to explain it and then he said he's never heard of it and he check it out & get it ordered.

The dealer I have straight-up guy and that's why I like and will continue to use him. I'm in no way putting down the dealer for this. I too think Hustler should sell both pieces together and then say uumm... Mr. Customer... what kind of blades would to like to purchase with that kit because they are not included in what you just payed for.

I love Hustler's overall support history & that is why I purchased one, but I think the way they handle and market the "kits" should be a bit more honest... I mean re-though internally.

mls64
10-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Just picked up an hour meter at my local dealer (~$35+tax) and I had in installed in less than 5 minutes. Silly that these aren't a stock part of the machine, as OEM cost + install would be such a trivial amount relative to the total cost. Oh, well.