PDA

View Full Version : Rotating Grapple for Excavator

RockSet N' Grade
09-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Does anyone have any experience using a rotating grapple on a mini to medium size excavator? Bobcat makes model 30 and model 40. I have been hard pressed to find other manufactures who offer this type of attachment for mini's.
My purpose: I currently set rock with a bucket/thumb combo with an 18,000 lb. machine and have seen some 200-300 series machines with this unit and it seems to be a whole lot faster in production.

Dirty Water
09-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Are you talking about something like a Log Loader, or something like a
rotating clamshell bucket?

RockSet N' Grade
09-29-2006, 12:39 PM
DirtyWater,
Was kinda hoping for some of your input....
What I have seen/been looking at is a fixed unit, 360 degree rotation, clam-style or claw style unit.
I have talked with a manufacturer in Canada and they make these things for larger machines, but have not tapped the mini market. Just browsing, I saw Bobcat offers a rotating grapple.....I've left a week worth of messages to cust. service reps at BobCat with no return calls....so, I'm huntin' for real life experiences or leads..

Gravel Rat
09-29-2006, 03:03 PM
I never seen a mini with a grapple of any kind on it. I assume you want something like a short wood grapple.

There are more manufacturers just can't remember them.

www.weldco-beales.com

www.t-mar.com/grapples.htm

www.youngcorp.com

Scag48
09-29-2006, 03:27 PM
http://www.psmcorp.com/product_grapples_articclam.cfm

These guys make excellent grapples, I know a couple guys who set rock walls with PSM grapples exclusively and the longetivity of these units is great. They are built here in WA, about 25 minutes from my apartment, and the guy that owns the company I mowed his vacation home lawn back in my home town of Chelan my senior year in high school. Small world.

Oh yeah, the lightest model they make weighs 820 pounds, not much more than a bucket, if not less. That should work on an 18,000 pound machine, even the 1200 pound model should work well.

RockSet N' Grade
09-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks GR.....have looked at those sites and talked with them on phone. I have not seen one on mini/med. ex either, but have seen them in production for setting rock on the bigger units and they are sweet. Guess they should be for $30,000 plus!
I'm exploring possibilities and looking for an edge....Talked with BobCat rep today, and even though they market them, he can't think of any that are in use in our state.....I just gotta find out if it works, is too heavy a unit, yada-yada-yada....I told the rep if he finds one installed on a mini/med. hoe I would drive/fly to demo it to see if it really works......

RockSet N' Grade
09-29-2006, 03:36 PM
On another note.....Bought a final drive last week (which is on a ship, truck or carrier pidgeon somewherre other than here).....Have become somewhat of an expert on diagnosing and experiencing the wonders of a final drive when it decides to fade and then quit......$3,600 for the new drive unit....

RockSet N' Grade
09-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks Scag,
Just got off the fone with PSM and they are sending me info on a unit for my machine....Kinda wish they would give these things away.....$18,100 for a unit that fits......gotta set alot of rock to justify that check!

janb
10-01-2006, 02:19 AM
Thanks Scag,
Just got off the fone with PSM and they are sending me info on a unit for my machine....Kinda wish they would give these things away.....$18,100 for a unit that fits......gotta set alot of rock to justify that check!

winter shop project = $1500, (+ quite a few hours) but if you have the work to pay for it, don't waste your time building

Scag48
10-01-2006, 03:47 AM
Thanks Scag,

No problem man, glad I could be of service. You won't be dissapointed, their attachments are great, PSM buckets and thumbs are everywhere out here. Actually, the thumb on our 312 was built by PSM and branded Cat, the PSM badged thumbs look identical and the buckets look close to the same as well. High quality stuff.

RockSet N' Grade
10-01-2006, 07:03 PM
I've spent quite a bit of time looking on the web for rotating grapples. Just a quick FYI for skid steer owners: skidsteersolutions now makes a rotating grapple for a skid.
I am still in the hunt for a rotating grapple for my excavator and any more input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

nac
10-02-2006, 09:29 PM
I never seen a mini with a grapple of any kind on it. I assume you want something like a short wood grapple.

There are more manufacturers just can't remember them.

www.weldco-beales.com

www.t-mar.com/grapples.htm

www.youngcorp.com

Here is a LaBounty 2 over 3 HD box tine demo grapple on a pc-45
There is a couple companys that make a rotating grapple I will post a link as soon a I remember.

nac
10-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Here are some links:
http://www.gatergrapples.com/
http://www.grapples.us/

tylermckee
10-04-2006, 11:54 PM
I know a guy that builds some of the BEST looking rock walls i have ever seen and all he uses is an old bobcat skid. He has a rotating grapple for it but he hasnt touched it in years, one of those things that seemed like a great idea but never really worked out. Something to think about.

I'll try to get a few pics of some of the rock walls this guy does. They are always perfectly straight, perfectly vertical, perfectly flat across the top, all the rocks fit together like a puzzle and all he uses is a bobcat, im trying to remember but i dont even think it has a 4in1 bucket.

RockSet N' Grade
10-05-2006, 12:39 AM
TylerMcKee,
I set with a 24" bucket and thumb on my track hoe and really find it satisfactory.....I have a knack for setting rock......the first two always seem to be the hardest and then "the zone" seems to take over and its just flow. I really like it, and my system is working.....why fix it? And that's the conclusion I have come to also, but my curious mind is always wanting to learn more and maybe there is something else out there that could help to sharpen my edge. It is becoming more and more competative, it is starting to slow down here ( more than just the usual winter slow down) and I am continually trying to sharpen the saw. There is one guy around here who does pretty nice short wall stuff and all he uses is a skid with forks.....thanks for the reality check, I love toys and attachments and sometimes wander away from the bottom line.......

minimax
10-05-2006, 01:31 PM
TylerMcKee, I know who you are talking about. he uses a bobcat 331x mini x and a 743 bobcat skid and the walls look great.The name is basalt rockery's

tylermckee
10-06-2006, 03:59 AM
TylerMcKee, I know who you are talking about. he uses a bobcat 331x mini x and a 743 bobcat skid and the walls look great.The name is basalt rockery's

Guy im talking about is mike harris i dont know what bobcat he uses but he also has an old hitachi thats painted up all funky, looks like a real piece of work, he uses it for bigger rocks, and for places he cant get the bobcat.