PDA

View Full Version : Keep breaking anti scalp wheel axle/bolts?

beaver29
09-30-2006, 10:07 PM
I keep breaking my anti scalp wheel axle/bolts PJ. I have broken 3 this year all on the rear of the deck. Can you give me any solutions to solve this problem?

mowerconsultant
10-01-2006, 06:09 PM
What hole do you have them set in? are they to low? hitting things to easily maybe?

Pj

beaver29
10-01-2006, 07:56 PM
I run them in the middle hole. My buddy has a super z and he is running them in the same hole as me. Should I pick them up a hole?

gene gls
10-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Drill the wheel and mounting hole out to 5/8" and change bolts. The deck is too heavy for 1/2" bolts.

Walker Lawn's
10-02-2006, 11:58 PM
I was breaking the front bolts I found out by putting an 1/2" longer bolt and letting the wheel have a little room to move side to side it stop my problem
don't know if it will work on the rear.

mowerconsultant
10-03-2006, 05:44 PM
I run them in the middle hole. My buddy has a super z and he is running them in the same hole as me. Should I pick them up a hole?

I would try them there, see what happens.

Pj

jcltyson
10-04-2006, 05:41 PM
I was breaking these left & right. I changed the original grade 5 bolts to grade 8 bolts and haven't had one break since.

puppypaws
10-04-2006, 05:54 PM
I would try them there, see what happens.

PjPJ, Why does Hustler not use the two sided mounting bracket to enclose the anti scalp wheels like a lot of the other decks have. I know they have a reason but why would they not want the design stronger?

brucec32
10-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Be sure to match the hole you're using to the mowing height you're using. Running along all the time on the anti-scalps probably isn't great for the lawn anyway.

syzer
10-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Hehe, it funny we have broken about 5 bolts, and just broke another last friday.

truevalve
10-09-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm a dealer in nc I've to replace i bet 50 or more this year hustler need to do something bout this problem

puppypaws
10-10-2006, 09:29 AM
I'm a dealer in nc I've to replace i bet 50 or more this year hustler need to do something bout this problemI still haven't seen a reply to the question I asked about why Hustler does not use the two sided mounting bracket for their anti scalp wheels. It appears to me as strong as everything else is built on the Hustler why not make this weak point stronger by using the two sided bracket and enclosing the anti scalp wheels. I wonder why people are just starting to talk about this problem, I personally have put many hours on Hustler's and can only remember breaking 3 scalp wheel bolts but I know the areas I am cutting so that makes a lot of difference.

truevalve
10-10-2006, 02:32 PM
I'v have talk with our rep he hasn't heard anything bout this out toward the west

FIRESCOOBY
10-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Yep, broke my 5th wheel today. Also on my 52" Mini-Z, the left side wheel is pretty close to the edge. The mounting hole is oblong now and the steel is bent out and the wheel actually sticks out at about a 10-20 degree angle. Tried running in middle and bottom holes. Oh well.

At $10 a piece, it gets expensive.

nmez21
10-15-2006, 03:24 PM
I still haven't seen a reply to the question I asked about why Hustler does not use the two sided mounting bracket for their anti scalp wheels.

I think the incorporation of the stripe roller and how that works may be part of the reason why they havent gone to a two sided bracket, maybe?:confused:

MattsMowing3535
10-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Well I think ill wait a few years to get a super-mini z If these bolts keep breaking, doesnt sound like any fun to fix them for 10 dollers each

mowerconsultant
10-16-2006, 11:29 AM
The bolts / wheels don't break by themselves.
Either someone hit something to cause it, or the anti scalp wheels are set to low.
This design has been on every single mower we have made in the Z series and FasTrak series since 1999 and on many other brands of mowers.
I have e-mailed this to our customer service guys and engineer's and make them aware of everyones thoughts.

Pj

TLS
10-16-2006, 11:45 AM
I have broken 2 and now have 3 bent.

Between them loosening up, and bending/breaking, I'll need to order some soon.

I have the striping roller, so I have some spares.

On my previous mower (Lazer 60" Ultra-Cut), they use a shoulder spacer and a 3/8" bolt. Never broke one! Over 5 years and almost 2K hours.

I don't think the mounting brackets need to be double sided, (Lazer never was), instead, an insert needs to be added. This way, the stress isn't taken by the bolt, it is taken by the spacer. The bolt simply holds the spacer tight to the bracket.

IF Hustler does decide to re-design this area, I hope they consider a few more holes of adjustment and not just 3.

The top hole is TOO high for 3.5" cutting heights.

The middle hole is TOO far forward.

And the lower hole is just about right for 3.5", but if you have ONE lawn that needs to be cut at 3", you have to break out your wrenches.

Oh, and to those that broke them off....be careful, they FLY far when you run over them!

Mickhippy
10-16-2006, 08:31 PM
I bent a bolt once and just went to a bolt shop to get a replacement. I did have to pack it with washers though as the bolt is a little longer but it only cost I think $1.50Au to fix it. I replaced both sides so is a relatively easy cheap fix when it happens again. It is a bugger getting the wheel off the bend bolt though. Have to cut through the bolt!

I kind of like the thought of them being able to bend. If you hit something it will absorb some of the impact. Better to bend a cheap bolt than the deck hanger arm! (the thing under the seat that holds the deck?? what ever its called)

mx495
11-03-2006, 12:44 PM
I broke and bent bolts first. Replaced them with grade 8 and the broke the center out of 4 wheels. I do a lot of commercial and it's usually jumping curbs or just running into things going to fast.LOL I bought some Innotech wheels and they are awesome. I haven't broke the middle out of one yet. They have ball bearings in the center so they roll better and are stronger. They are made out of something different and wear A LOT better than stock wheels. I think the Hustler wheels are fine if you are careful, but i'm not always so careful and the Innotech wheels make it longer than the stock wheels, even though they are more expensive.

Here is the link to their site.

http://www.lawnwheels.com/default.aspx

Accu-cut Lawn Care
11-07-2006, 12:59 PM
I, too, have broken many antiscalp wheels on my 2760 xr7 this year. I haven't had any problems out of my 2352. Can the deck lift assist spring be adjusted to make the deck "lighter"?

Daniels
11-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Have broken 2 myself on a 60' SUPER Z went top a grade 8 that was 1/2 longer and has been fine--- bolt was 11$ at dealer at Hware store was 1.50$ (he recomended)

Dave Carney
06-24-2007, 07:53 PM
I still haven't seen a reply to the question I asked about why Hustler does not use the two sided mounting bracket for their anti scalp wheels. It appears to me as strong as everything else is built on the Hustler why not make this weak point stronger by using the two sided bracket and enclosing the anti scalp wheels. I wonder why people are just starting to talk about this problem, I personally have put many hours on Hustler's and can only remember breaking 3 scalp wheel bolts but I know the areas I am cutting so that makes a lot of difference.

I would like to know the answer on this as well. The two sided mounting brackets with a center sleeve through which the bolt passes are virtually bullet proof, I have had them on my Ingersoll for 12 years, never a problem and I have a rough lot to mow.

I'm probably going to buy a Super Z for next season but this particular engineering decsion has me puzzled (and also looking at other mowers). I would feel the need to fix this by welding on the additional hanger for each wheel (just by looking at the current design I'm certain they would not survive even one season) Welding on a new mower though seems silly and will surely cause the Mrs to come running out to the barn in disbelief. Pj, can you check on this with the engineers? :)

mowerconsultant
06-24-2007, 10:33 PM
I can ask if there are any changes coming in this area, but I am pretty sure there isn't.
I will let you know.

Pj

puppypaws
06-24-2007, 10:37 PM
I, too, have broken many antiscalp wheels on my 2760 xr7 this year. I haven't had any problems out of my 2352. Can the deck lift assist spring be adjusted to make the deck "lighter"?

I feel assured it can be, mine has not been changed yet it lifts so easily I have to pay attention when I try to raise it a small amount or it will go into transport lock.

nick858
06-25-2007, 12:12 AM
I think we have broken 6 this year, and all but one have been on our new mower. Last years mower has broken only one, not sure what the difference could be? Two that are on the trim side now are bent too, so Im sure they are not much longer for life. I just thought maybe my dealer got a bad batch of bolts, but apparently the problem is a little more common than that.

TLS
06-25-2007, 09:56 AM
As I stated above, they don't need double brackets.

All they need to do is incorporate one of these

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/graphics/commercialparts/225205.jpg

This shoulder sleeve is what eXmark uses/used. It takes all stress off the bolt. And as engineers know, a tube is stronger than a solid bolt.

Problem is, we as the end user can't retrofit these sleeves, as the bolt holes in the brackets are 1/2". Maybe a small spacer in these 1/2" holes will allow a 3/8" bolt to pass tightly?

The problems with bending/breaking these stock 1/2" bolts IS something minor, but with the overall stronger built Hustler, makes me wonder why they went backwards with strength in this area.

FIRESCOOBY
06-25-2007, 10:34 AM
I totally agree on the scalp wheel issue.

I have a 52 Mini-Z in which the trim side wheel hangs closer to the edge than a Super. I am only a part time solo operator but I have broke 5 or 6 already this year and at least twice that many last year. Yes, some were my fault, but the design of being close to the edge and only one side mounting has caused the most problems.

Very common design among most manufacturers, but VERY poor IMO!!

PKS
06-26-2007, 12:04 PM
If the broken bolts is a problem for some, why not take the whole mower to a welding shop and have them make the additional braket?

TLS
06-27-2007, 11:08 AM
If the broken bolts is a problem for some, why not take the whole mower to a welding shop and have them make the additional braket?

I personally don't feel that the additional bracket is whats needed. Over 4 seasons, I logged 2K hrs on my Lazer and NEVER broke or bent any of them. And they have just one bracket.

puppypaws
06-27-2007, 11:20 AM
The problems with bending/breaking these stock 1/2" bolts IS something minor, but with the overall stronger built Hustler, makes me wonder why they went backwards with strength in this area.

You have just stated the exact question Hustler should answer and there has to be a reason for every decision.

Dave Carney
06-27-2007, 12:02 PM
The single bracket set up, even with a sleeve, will always be prone to hole elongation. You simply move the problem/stress from the bolt, to the hole. With 2 brackets and a sturdy wheel, you eliminate all the problems.

tralfaz
07-11-2007, 12:24 AM
I agree with TLS. We have broken I don't know how many bolts on the XR7 deck. So many that I might have to buy not just 2-3 at a time but something like 5. While my ExMark has broken one or two over 1900 hours, they have held up much better with the sleeve. The new Triton deck wheel assembly really are strong.

Mowerdad
07-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Although I agree with the Hustler rep that these aren't "breaking by themselves" you certainly have to question why it seems to be happening on Hustlers at a much higher rate than other machines. In other words...Scags, Ferris' Toros, Bobcats, etc are all hitting the same obstructions but don't seem to be breaking bolts/wheels. No manufacturer wants to admit that they may have a problem, but if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and looks like a duck, there's a very good chance that it's A DUCK! I'm planning on buying a Super Z 60" w/30hp Kohler because I believe it's the best built mower I've seen and I won't be too happy about replacing parts on it, a few months after dropping $10k!

Race495
09-30-2011, 09:34 PM
I was searching about anti scalp wheel replacements for my super z and came across this thread and felt it needed resurrecting since it only took almost 4 YEARS for Hustler to get it together as far as the wheels on the VX4 deck!

grassious
02-25-2014, 12:54 PM
I too have used these....They are all over the place. You can get them online or at many different dealers. They come in 3/8" and 1/2".
I broke and bent bolts first. Replaced them with grade 8 and the broke the center out of 4 wheels. I do a lot of commercial and it's usually jumping curbs or just running into things going to fast.LOL I bought some Innotech wheels and they are awesome. I haven't broke the middle out of one yet. They have ball bearings in the center so they roll better and are stronger. They are made out of something different and wear A LOT better than stock wheels. I think the Hustler wheels are fine if you are careful, but i'm not always so careful and the Innotech wheels make it longer than the stock wheels, even though they are more expensive.

Here is the link to their site.

http://www.lawnwheels.com