PDA

View Full Version : Border for a gravel driveway

Electra_Glide
10-02-2006, 01:30 PM
I have a prospective customer who wants to replace his existing gravel (limestone) driveway. The current driveway is too thin with lots of dirt and weeds. Pretty straightforward, but he wants some kind of "border" along the edges (that's as much as he knows). Most of the driveways around here like that have no borders, and I'm having a heck of a time coming up with something.

Anybody got any good ideas?

I'll be stopping by there this evening to get some pictures.

Joe

sheshovel
10-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Any good faced wall block will do, or bullet edgers or R/R ties(yuk) or even paver blocks. Go look around your local rock yard or Hardscape supply place.

MarcSmith
10-02-2006, 02:40 PM
another option woudl be steel edgeing....its uslly around 4" tall.

Preassure treated 6x6 timbers...

General Landscaping
10-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Concrete curbing is a versatile choice.
Just add some small rock aggregate in the areas prone to being driven over.

Adam@SUNYCobleskill
10-02-2006, 04:59 PM
this summer i did my internship in the hamptons (long island) and about everybody and their brother had pea gravel driveways bordered with cobblestones that were mortered into the ground. It is pretty expensive and labor intensive, but it looks really clean. I also saw a lot of upright brick boarders that also looked really nice. Just my 2 cents...

GearHead_1
10-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Concrete curbing is a versatile choice.
Just add some small rock aggregate in the areas prone to being driven over.

This direction would get my vote. It not only looks good but is durable. If he can afford to put a nice piece of concrete down and you can put it down in the ground a bit 8" or so you also stop the grass from growing on the side where it shouldn't be. It's easy to trim against, holds the pea gravel where you want it and he won't be making the decision again next year. I really like concrete and can tell you everything there is to know about it. It comes down to three simple facts and this is all you will ever need to know about it:

1 - Concrete will crack
2 - Concrete won't burn
3 - Your neighbors won't steel it.

Electra_Glide
10-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Here's the pictures.

The drainage ditch in the 2nd picture was just put in by the town last week. The middle of the trench is the property line.

Haven't come to any conclusions yet, but I know I don't want to use wood.

Joe

GroundScapesIncorporated
10-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Its a small driveway. Try and sale him a paver install.

General Landscaping
10-03-2006, 12:34 AM
Can't get the pic to work

General Landscaping
10-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Here's a shot from the side yard.

WOW..... 2 things learned....
camera phone has filthy lens.
I need to be shopping for a boat trailer.

Dreams To Designs
10-03-2006, 08:16 AM
Granite cobblestones or paver curb or edge stones make a great border, and they don't have to be placed in concrete. My own driveway is 3/8" stone with granite edging laid in a trench. If someone drives over the edge, usually a delivery truck, I go out with a dead blow hammer and reset the stone or stones pushed over. Placing the edging in concrete at 90 a degree angle or what has become very popular here, a 45 degree angle and mortared between does add permanence to the install, but will definitely increase the budget substantially. The 45 degree angle gives a really nice look and makes for easier cleaning of leaves or debris in the drive.

Kirk

MarcSmith
10-03-2006, 10:22 AM
Here's a shot from the side yard.

WOW..... 2 things learned....
camera phone has filthy lens.
I need to be shopping for a boat trailer.
Heck In VA, they woudl have failed that trailer at inspection...

Nice edge BTW....