PDA

View Full Version : Help with striping

dannyray
10-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Striper starts out without overspray but as time goes by starts to overspray.
Have cleaned filter, and made sure connections are tight. I have a airlessco 3500. Any help would be helpful for my customers. Using 217 Graco spray tip with latex waterbased paint.

Thanks
Daniel

linepainter
10-04-2006, 10:45 PM
More than likely your paint is way to thin. Make sure its mix very well and strain it. Also you tip maybe bad. Just because its new doesnt mean the tips not bad

Jim

dannyray
10-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the imput. The only thing I have not tried is straing the paint. Hope this helps I have made sure to mix the paint. As far as to thin I hope not because I am not thining it down. Am using right out of the bucket.
Thanks Daniel.

Baywatch
01-05-2007, 03:58 PM
What type of paint are you shooting? We run 3 trucks a day and use line lazer equipment which all has graco pumps. Have you checked your screens and filters? If you are shooting waterborn paint you need to screen it regardless of how well it is shook. If you are shooting an acetone based paint you could just have it thinned out to much. Another issue is your 217 tip. We usually use a 317 or 319 tip. The only time I use a 217 is if I am shooting a basketball court or stuff on a school yard like 4 square. Another thing is to just clean your machine out really well to make sure you don't have gunk in your hoses.

We only clean our stuff out when it starts acting up, but we do a lot of striping and the machines are running most of the time. We also keep our machines specific to one color and type of paint. We usually have a yellow and white acetone, and then a white latex and a blue latex on each trailer. This technique works pretty good.

Lastly, it could be the paint. Our MAB rep wanted us to try some of his paint because we get most of our from Sherwin. What ever this crap was it stunk and oversprayed like no other.

Good luck

dannyray
01-06-2007, 06:18 AM
I think it might be the paint, we use waterbase and do not thin it down. Do you know of any suppliers?
Thanks any help would be helpful.

Gatsby174
01-06-2007, 09:54 PM
I have used Sherwin Williams Hotline and Franklin paints with success. I hate the sealmaster paints though...
JC

Baywatch
01-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Depending on which state you are in dictates what type of paint you can shoot. We usually shoot acetone based Voc paint from Sherwin williams on Restripes and new construction (dries super fast). On sealer you can get away with shooting yellow Acetone and it doesn't burn in most instances but White acetone will burn on sealer and turn a greenish brown color so you have to shoot water born, or double coat with white acetone. As far as waterborn goes Sherwins hotline is what we usually use it has ammonia in it and dries much faster than other waterborn paints. You can also use Sherwins setfast waterborn. We also use waterborn in road applications because the acetone dries to fast and the glass beads don't have time to get into the paint before there is already a skin on it.