PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new lawn

bhatcher
10-02-2006, 09:40 PM
My wife and I recently bought a new house and as you know, the contractor's blend of grass seed isn't very good. I am wondering how I should go about reseeding my lawn in an fairly inexpensice manner. Should I roundup the entire yard and start over or just seed over what is there.I am not looking for an emaculate lawn or anything, but right now, it is more of a big patch of weeds. Thanks for any help.

noseha
10-02-2006, 10:49 PM
you have said a key word ''fairly in inexpensice manner'' did you tell your first guy that. and now you unhappy with the job, and he wouldln't come back to do the job right?

bhatcher
10-03-2006, 09:59 AM
I didn't have any say in what happened with the first lawn. It was already seeded and growing when we bought the house. And I know the builder would not do anything more for the lawn.

noseha
10-04-2006, 07:39 AM
I didn't have any say in what happened with the first lawn. It was already seeded and growing when we bought the house. And I know the builder would not do anything more for the lawn.

your builder is he a lawn guy ! its funny. hire the right people!

turf_toes
10-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Noseha,

I think you miss the point of his post. He purchased a new house. In case you've never done this yourself, the process is you buy the house and the builder puts down seed before you actually purchase the home. In my area, it is required by building code that the contractor put in a lawn before completion of the home.

That means the contractor uses the cheapest grass he can find. Normally that is annual rye grass. That also means that your lawn dies after a year and you're left with mostly nothing for a lawn.

I would roundup whatever is left from the contractor's seeding and do the job myself with good seed, assuming you still have time to do it and get the seed established before the first hard freeze.

(make sure the seed you buy contains zero percent weed seed. Even as little as 0.2 percent weed content means you're putting down about 128,000 weed seeds in a thousand square foot area.

The math is about 1.6 million seeds in a pound of Kentucky Bluegrass. At the standard four pound per thousand square feet for KBG, that comes to the figure mentioned above. Which in turn means you are putting 128 weed seeds on every square foot. At 80 percent germination that leaves you with a LOT of weeds.)

There are plenty of places online which will sell you seed with zero weed content. Most of the big box stores carry seed with too much weed content, if you ask me.

bhatcher
10-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Turf Toes, thanks for the tips. After using the round-up, should I till the yard or just let the grass die and seed right on top of it? I really don't know much about this stuff, obviously, but I do know that even a decent yard should not look like this. Thanks again, and any other suggestions are appreciated.

Noseha, Turf toe is absolutely correct in his statements about my home buying experience. It is required that the builder seed the yard, and unless you sign a contract before the house is complete, you are stuck with what the builder seeds the yard with. We didn't get the house that early, so I am S.O.L. and having to do this. There is no need for another response unless you can actually give me some useful advice, but thanks anyway.

turf_toes
10-04-2006, 09:55 PM
bhatcher,

Don't till. I repeat, don't till. All you're going to do is bring dormant weed seed to the service. Just the dead lawn short and then rent a power seeder from Home Depot. (That will cost you about $80 for the day)

That's not cheap. But it's worth it because it will ensure that the seed makes good soil contact. The dead lawn is valuable too. It will help retain moisture and keep your seed moist. Remember to keep the seed bed moist.

You'll probably need to water it two to three times a day for about 10 minutes each initially. (If, like most of us, you have a job and can't be there all day to water your lawn :>) then buy an Orbit four-valve hose adapter with sprinkler timer from home depot. That will run you about $40. But you can let the timer turn the sprinkler on and off while you are at work.