PDA

View Full Version : retaining wall question!

baddboygeorge
10-03-2006, 09:38 PM
I went to look at a job today an the customer has a concrete block wall that is 30 years old ranging from 3 to 8 foot tall an about 200 foot long. A few weeks ago when it rained hard an long part of her wall took a plunge.I dont have alot of experience but was wondering how to tie in a versa lock type block to this concrete block. Anyone have any ideas.What i was thinking of was in that spot that blew out i was gonna tighten the ends with concrete blocks with motar an square them off. Then i was gonna terrace this blow out section with 2 walls. The first being the wall that would be on the outside of the original wall an go to each squared off side then i was gonna back fill an stack another wall on top that would bring me back up to the proper measurments an would be flush with the original wall! Customer doesnt care what it looks like just wants to make sure its strong and if in the future another section blows out we can add to it! please any inputs would be great!! thanks George

CrewCutEnterprises
10-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Im no hardscaper but most of them are going to tell you an 8 ft wall needs to be engineered, the whole old one torn down and a whole new wall installed. with geogrid etc.

turfquip
10-03-2006, 10:23 PM
I dont have alot of experience ...

Tread carefully taking on a project like this. Find out why the wall section failed. Most of the time wall failure has something to do with water.

It stood for 30 years. Maybe some drainage characteristic has changed above the wall?

baddboygeorge
10-03-2006, 10:30 PM
we got 7 inches of rain in 24 hours an with a very shallow footer the wall couldnt stand all the water.i was thinking about subbing it out to an basement wall company an let them pour me an eight inch thick wall with a 2 foot footer an tie it directly in to the concrete wall.

Fordsuvparts
10-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Maybe we could get together on this wall, We do a lot of work in the louisville, e-town, Fort Knox area, and a lot of the work is retaining walls. We are currently working on the base in fort knox.
Sounds like there was no drainage behind the wall, or not enough drainage. It probably needs to all come down and be redone with a keystone wall. We have an engineer that does our jobs and it really quick.

baddboygeorge
10-04-2006, 12:04 AM
I appreciate the offer but tearing it all down is way out of her budget , she is 83 on a limited income an all she is wanting is a patch job. I would love to build her a brand new wall but that isn't gonna happen!

baddboygeorge
10-04-2006, 12:05 AM
i just finished a job at ft.knox as well!

baddboygeorge
10-04-2006, 11:53 PM
we came to a conclusion today > Its gonna be a solid 8 inch thick wall with footer of 24 inches tied into exsisting concrete block wall an at each end where new wall connects to old wall , there with be a concrete piling installed to tie everything together.concrete wall will be rebared inside an also rebar will be installed into old concrete block to tie it all together as well. this should solve alot of problems in the future as well We will also install drainage as well. Its not gonna be a real pretty finished product but the customer doesnt care about pretty she needs to fix the problem !! see you guys later!

Mike33
10-07-2006, 12:57 AM
If im understanding you, i think the job is going to look like hell if you put up a srw along a standard block wall. Why not tear everything out and start from scratch? If im wrong my apology.
Mike

baddboygeorge
10-07-2006, 11:12 AM
your right but the customer is 83 , on a fixed income ,an really isnt worried about looks !I am gonna install a solid wall with 24 inch footer for her , structurally its the best way for the money! I'll post a few pics as i go along thanks george

Az Gardener
10-10-2006, 05:28 PM
You are in way over your head, this is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I don't have time to think of all the things that can go wrong with this situation that could put you out of business. It is her problem that she is 83 and on a fixed income don't make it yours.

Mike33
10-10-2006, 09:31 PM
your right but the customer is 83 , on a fixed income ,an really isnt worried about looks !I am gonna install a solid wall with 24 inch footer for her , structurally its the best way for the money! I'll post a few pics as i go along thanks george
Some times we get our selves in these jams been there. You know what you have to do good luck. One last thing being in business for a few years watch some of these sr. citizens , and im saying this respectfully some of there fixed incomes are very good fixed incomes my parents are a prime example. The are very well to do for our area and live like min. wage people always a poor mouth looking for a free or super bargain.
Mike

baddboygeorge
10-11-2006, 03:10 PM
building a retaining wall isn't anything that worries me , I built bridges an hung iron 30 stories in the air .I have insurance so i dont worry . I have the Job about half done an this has been actually the easiest job i have done with a big profit margin! i promise ya i will do more . The customer is tickled pink ,, i will post pics soon of the job!! I have ran into everything you can imagine when doing the demolition of job!! there was cable in the wall , electrical, plastic, waterline,etc. its been fun finding all of this!! i will talk to you all later