PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

PrimeGreen Lawn
06-10-2001, 10:59 AM
I'm been thinking about getting into the irrigation side of the business. Can any of you offer any help getting started? What are some of the main things I need to know? Special permits, ect..
Any books availible? Websites?

Thanks a lot!

Scott

gusbuster
06-11-2001, 09:41 PM
Well for starters, I'm sure you would need a contractor's license from your local state. Also, check your local irrigation supply houses. At least the ones around me have been a wealth of information.

Every city and counties\parishes has different permitting requirements.
So check your local governments. Make friends with a local irrigation contractor. You won't be able to do the big jobs, so you won't be a threat to His\her Company.

I didn't go to school, but grew up in this industry. Most of what I know is from experience and getting help from my local supplier, sometimes having to pay for this help.

The best advice that I can give is stay with brand products. (Rainbird, hunter, Toro, irritrol, hardie, k-rain and many more)
You may want to check out brand name web sites also.

I will send you a personal message with a link to a web site that should be helpful for you. I don't want type it now, as I may be violating this web sites posting rules.

John

EarthWorks
06-12-2001, 06:55 AM
Read every book and article that you can get a hold of. Try to put in irrigation in your yard 1st. That way if you mess up no one will be mad, except mybe the wife. I paid a guy that knew the basics to help me with the first few I did, then read to gain more knowledge. going on 6 years and still always learning something.