PDA

View Full Version : Kut Kwick and/or rear discharge walk behinds--any thoughts?

hotrodsnapper
10-04-2006, 01:10 PM
First I want to state that I am not a pro, I have been watching this industry closely (and reading Lawnsite) for a while now, and may try and start a little LCO on the side in a few years. I post here in hopes of catching the eye of someone with some insight.

I may have the opportunity to pick up an old Kut-kwick that I had used and maintained years ago. It has a 60" fixed deck with rear discharge and an all iron 16 horse flathead single. My thinking would be to get it and get it working good over the winter and have the meanest homeowner mower on the planet. This machine was made in the sixties, but about ten years ago I did a functional restoration and it was running like a top, and left a gorgeous cut. It may have run a hundred hours since then.

I should be able to buy this for under $500, I know it is half a century behind the modern commercial mowers, but for homeowner use I figure it would work really well, and for a lot less than all but the worst abused commercial mowers.

So finally getting to my questions:
1) Has anybody (who has been doing this for a long time) ever used a Kut kwick walkbehind? Any strong impressions good or bad?
2) Is the rear discharge a desireable feature? I would love not having to worry about pointing the chute at a window or blowing clippings into a flower bed.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any replies.