PDA

View Full Version : Mulching

scottmd
10-04-2006, 05:36 PM
I have a 42" Mini Z comercial. I just purchased the mulching kit for my mower.
It does seem to mulch fine but the mower blows so much grass and dust out of the front of the mower I can't stand it. I just recently removed the mulch kit and went back to side discharge. I sent out a previous E-mail with this same concern and this is what Hustler replied.

HUSTLER Reply:You need to run the mulching blades for the best performance.
The mulching blade part # is 794214, and you need 2 of them.
A tip when mulching, slow down a bit and don't take more than 1/3 of the grass off in a single pass.
Hope this helps.

This is fine if this is the fix for keeping me clean and grass out of my teeth but if changing the type of blade doesn't correct this I just wasted my money. Can you explain to me how changing the blade will keep grass from blowing out of the front of the mower. And I mean alote of grass blowing out.I just don't want to spend unnecessary money on blades if this isn't the fix. By the way I just bought the mower it has about 4hrs on it so for and I love it but I do want to mulch.

:cool2:

brucec32
10-05-2006, 11:53 PM
I have a 42" Mini Z comercial. I just purchased the mulching kit for my mower.
It does seem to mulch fine but the mower blows so much grass and dust out of the front of the mower I can't stand it. I just recently removed the mulch kit and went back to side discharge. I sent out a previous E-mail with this same concern and this is what Hustler replied.

HUSTLER Reply:You need to run the mulching blades for the best performance.
The mulching blade part # is 794214, and you need 2 of them.
A tip when mulching, slow down a bit and don't take more than 1/3 of the grass off in a single pass.
Hope this helps.

This is fine if this is the fix for keeping me clean and grass out of my teeth but if changing the type of blade doesn't correct this I just wasted my money. Can you explain to me how changing the blade will keep grass from blowing out of the front of the mower. And I mean alote of grass blowing out.I just don't want to spend unnecessary money on blades if this isn't the fix. By the way I just bought the mower it has about 4hrs on it so for and I love it but I do want to mulch.

:cool2:

How much mulching experience do you have? I'm not familiar with that mower but my mulchers do experience some blowout also. In dusty conditions you can eat a little grit.

The mulching blades have different airflow characteristics and may not have as much air blowing inside the deck, which when you baffle and block the exits, has to go somewhere. I have never seen a mower with a real mulch kit mulch well w/o the proper designed-in mulching blades. Maybe on some grasses, but not the stuff here. What goes on inside decks is pretty complex in terms of airflow, so go with what the designers intended in terms of blade.

mowerconsultant
10-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Like I said in the e-mail, you need to run the mulching blades, they change the airflow and clipping dispersal under the deck.

Pj

jeffack1
10-08-2006, 01:30 PM
I have a Mini Z 52/23 and the dealer installed the mulch kit and did not change the blades. I was having the same problem with grass and dirt discharging from the front of the mower.

PJ said to change to the mulching blades. I did and things could not be any better. Problem solved.

I hope yours is the same way.