PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Info needed! NJ NJ NJ

Pietro
10-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Okay, long story short. A buddy of mine started doing lawns this summer...we had my dads S-10, ramps, a Home Cheapo echo blower and weedwacker, crapsman edger and an exmark metro (36). We did 15 lawns a week. Obviously we did not have insurance, it would murder any profit.

Well, now weve got a 99 F250 Powerstroke Diesel with meyers plow, 16 Ft trailer, Zmaster 60, Scag 48 Hydro W/B, the Exmark, and lots of Redmax, STIHL and echo commercial equip. We do 65 Lawns a week, and have not gotten insured yet. Next year we are 110% getting fully insured.....BUT, how expensive is it? What do I REALLY need? Half a million $ policy? 3/4? I live in Freehold NJ.......anyone got ideas on a ballpark figure? What do you guys pay? Im not worried about broken windows, but godforbid a rock gets kicked up and hits a kid or something tragic like that........I appreciate any advice.

-Pete

Surf'n'Turf
10-04-2006, 10:06 PM
All depends on what your needs are. I'd go for a minimum of a mil. Can check out Farm Family, the cover a lot of agricultural businesses and they understand lawn/ spray/ landscape needs....look up Dan Purdey his office is in Pt. Pleasant, Brick area. PM and I'll give you a phone #.

TJLANDS
10-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Okay, long story short. A buddy of mine started doing lawns this summer...we had my dads S-10, ramps, a Home Cheapo echo blower and weedwacker, crapsman edger and an exmark metro (36). We did 15 lawns a week. Obviously we did not have insurance, it would murder any profit.

Well, now weve got a 99 F250 Powerstroke Diesel with meyers plow, 16 Ft trailer, Zmaster 60, Scag 48 Hydro W/B, the Exmark, and lots of Redmax, STIHL and echo commercial equip. We do 65 Lawns a week, and have not gotten insured yet. Next year we are 110% getting fully insured.....BUT, how expensive is it? What do I REALLY need? Half a million $ policy? 3/4? I live in Freehold NJ.......anyone got ideas on a ballpark figure? What do you guys pay? Im not worried about broken windows, but godforbid a rock gets kicked up and hits a kid or something tragic like that........I appreciate any advice.

-Pete
Where you located Pete?

Pietro
10-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Freehold. I actually do some work in Jackson, not too much thou. Im looking to get out of that area....its very very VERY dusty.

mrusk
10-05-2006, 09:23 PM
I have no clue why people don't get insurance when they start a business. Insurance is cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have 1 million per occurance and 3 million aggergate and i pay 1250 a year.

Insurance is based on payroll and gross sales most of the time.
Matt

lawns Etc
10-05-2006, 09:54 PM
I pay 590 year 1 million from my Liberty Mutual company $500 ded and $1 mil

Turf Terror
10-05-2006, 10:12 PM
$720 per year for $1million/$2million aggregate.
Includes up to $5000 in equipment loss with a $500 deductible.

TPLawnPro
10-11-2006, 06:04 PM
...how your policies are structured? Do your policies of 1 million, or 2 million dollars coverage actually cover general liability?

I am looking into getting insurance also, but I am not getting similar quotes and/or premiums that even resemble what you all are declaring. It's one thing to say that you have a million dollars coverage, but what does your policy really cover?

Do you have general liability insurance? How is it structured to protect you? If you have general liability, does it cover a million dollars in damages, property, and/or injury to bystanders?

Also, does your policy include moveable property insurance? Example: to cover your trailer(s), as well as the equipment in the trailers from theft?

So, what many of you are telling us; for anywhere from $500 to $1,200 per year, you have a policy that, at the least, covers you for $1,000,000 in general liability?

If so, that is amazing! Cause around here, such a policy that I am describing would run you more than $2,500.00 annually. I must be missing something here, or must be doing something wrong in my pursuit of a new policy. :confused:

TJLANDS
10-11-2006, 06:25 PM
...how your policies are structured? Do your policies of 1 million, or 2 million dollars coverage actually cover general liability?

I am looking into getting insurance also, but I am not getting similar quotes and/or premiums that even resemble what you all are declaring. It's one thing to say that you have a million dollars coverage, but what does your policy really cover?

Do you have general liability insurance? How is it structured to protect you? If you have general liability, does it cover a million dollars in damages, property, and/or injury to bystanders?

Also, does your policy include moveable property insurance? Example: to cover your trailer(s), as well as the equipment in the trailers from theft?

So, what many of you are telling us; for anywhere from $500 to $1,200 per year, you have a policy that, at the least, covers you for $1,000,000 in general liability?

If so, that is amazing! Cause around here, such a policy that I am describing would run you more than $2,500.00 annually. I must be missing something here, or must be doing something wrong in my pursuit of a new policy. :confused:
You are right most people are not "fully insured" but also it sometimes depends on payroll and gross receipts. I pay over 7500 a year for my G/L and umbrella policy. 2mil/2mil
A local Landscaper acquaintance of mine thought he was Fully insured when he backed his landscaping trailer into traffic and caused a multi car accident.
His insurance company denied coverage on his truck trailer and equipment because he had no commercial plates and no commercial auto policy just personal plates with his company logo on the side,..... but he did have a 1 mil GL policy....no help

TPLawnPro
10-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback. That is exactly what I mean. It's nice to be able to say that you have a million dollars in insurance coverage, but we all better make sure that we have a comprehensive understanding of these policies?

From what I have learned lately, there's no doubt that I need to have general liability insurance, but I also want to make sure that my equipment is covered in case of theft, or from damages to my equipment that could be potentially caused to the equipment while in the trailer, whether the trailer is mobile or immobile.

So far, I recieved a quote from CNA, and the quote is not between $500 and $1,200. The quote is more like $2,976.00 for commercial general liability, and $158.00 annually for commercial property coverage - and that property policy doesn't cover jack-squat.

I am going to contact Progressive, Liberty Mutual, and The Hartford next.

TJLANDS
10-13-2006, 04:04 PM
As if that wasnt bad enough he told me today that he didnt know that he should have collected sales tax on his lawn service for the past three years.
And just recieved a letter from NJ.

VBsnow
10-17-2006, 03:06 PM
You are right most people are not "fully insured" but also it sometimes depends on payroll and gross receipts. I pay over 7500 a year for my G/L and umbrella policy. 2mil/2mil
A local Landscaper acquaintance of mine thought he was Fully insured when he backed his landscaping trailer into traffic and caused a multi car accident.
His insurance company denied coverage on his truck trailer and equipment because he had no commercial plates and no commercial auto policy just personal plates with his company logo on the side,..... but he did have a 1 mil GL policy....no help

This is an excellent example of how not to insure autos. You see, personal auto policies do not cover commercial exposures. Some companies allow a personal endorsement but will not allow signage and/or employee drivers. How many people do you know running around in their personal auto w/ a magnet on the side? What they tell here in my office is that if they have an accident they will pull the sign off. Yeah...ok. The other big gaping hole is the fact that commercial trailers(2000lbs+ here in VA) have to be covered as a SEPERATE UNIT! Whereas the PAP covers it automatically, the commercial does not. The third thing to look out for in some states is the "drive other car" endorsement. You see, when you cover the UNIT, you are not covering the driver. The driver either needs to be named on a PAP somewhere(personal car...you know, your Porche) or have the DOC added to your commercial.

LB1234
10-17-2006, 03:56 PM
If you are in NJ and want to speak with a reputable insurance agent who can explain all this in lamen terms and everything you may or may not need what is covered what isn't than contact the following:

James F. Hurley Insurance Company
316 Main Street
Bedminster, NJ.

www.hurleyinsure.com

About 45-60 minutes from freehold but I'm telling you worth every penny. They will walk you through everything asking you questions so that they can fit you with the coverage that suits your needs the best.

I was recommended this isurance agency through a fellow contractor so its not just someone I cold called through the phone book. And let me tell you they are great. I only have one claim so far, with an accident with my trailer...which was covered since I have seperate coverage on all 4 of our trailers. Had a check within 10 days and they even helped me find a reputable trailer repair place that specified in body work on enclosed trailers.

A little background...

We have 4 trailers with seperate coverge three with comp/collision, one with just comp, we have inland marine coverage for about 40-50k in equipment coverage, we have one commercial truck insured through them, we have a snow service rider (slip/fall coverage), we have pesticide applications rider (chemical insurance), we have 1mil per occurance with 3mil aggregate. They placed our auto and G/L through Selective Insurance Company. They set us up with Libery Mutual for our workmans comp. All in all we pay around 10k for our coverage. Does it eat away at our profit yes, between the LLC and my insurance there is a lot better chance of them NOT taking my house away.

If interested PM and I will give you the agent I deal with directly.

VBsnow
10-17-2006, 04:11 PM
I think LB1234 has the ticket. We do not operate in NJ so having someone who has 1st hand experience with the agent is great. Nevermind the distance, most of the work should be able to be done via phone or internet/fax. The companies he mentioned are probably just a fraction of what the agent has available. Markets are fickle and the "best" place to write LCO's changes with the weather. Good luck.

LB1234
10-17-2006, 09:54 PM
I think LB1234 has the ticket. We do not operate in NJ so having someone who has 1st hand experience with the agent is great. Nevermind the distance, most of the work should be able to be done via phone or internet/fax. The companies he mentioned are probably just a fraction of what the agent has available. Markets are fickle and the "best" place to write LCO's changes with the weather. Good luck.

Correct the are about 30 minutes from me. I think I have been in there office in person all of but 3 times. Everything is done over the phone and through faxes. Once numbers, insurance, etc. is agreed upon all that they need is an initial check and some signatures in person.

What I love about this company is the speed at which they process claims and certificates of insurance. To have certificate of insurance sent to customers/potentials I have three options...leave message with agent via voicemail, fax my request, or email the request. They will send the certificate of insurance any way I prefer/customer prefers...mail, fax, and/or even email. 99.99% of requests are processed within a few hours. We get copied on every single certificate for our records via mail.

I've received numerous compliments on how professional the insurance agent is with turnaround times.

Can you tell I'm happy with their service?

this is the same insurance company that informed me to NEVER, EVER place 'fully insured' on any type of business card, advertisement, flyer, etc. In essence, no one is 'fully' insured and it can get you into trouble. Rather, place certificates of insurance available upon request or just simply insured. Made sense to me...my definition of fully and your definition can have two different meanings....

VBsnow
10-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Do you think he's sleeping w/ someone over at Hurley?

TJLANDS
10-28-2006, 11:02 AM
There are many insurance brokers such as James F. Hurley Insurance Company. I put my insurance out for bids about 7 years ago and they were one of the bidders. Did not like the way they handled it. I use BHB ins in Toms River. They all use the same Insurance Companies, just go with a broker that you feel comfortable with.
As far as coverages you need. A broker is going to give you what you ask for so make sure you ask the right questions to make sure you get the right coverage.

VBsnow
10-30-2006, 08:48 AM
The agents do not have all of the same companies. While it is not unusual for them to have some of the same companies, we rarely all have the same. I am one of two here locally that runs the LCO program. Some companies do not want to overrun the market.

osuokcdave
11-13-2006, 11:06 PM
i dunno how much to spend or what to get but, i think the best way to get quotes is to send what kind of insurance you want to a bunch of agents and have them compete.

the link below lets you do it for FREE and the agents call you almost immediately!

check it out:

http://www.2insure4less.com/?s=232495&k=ls&rdto=bsmain

Good luck!

Dave

VBsnow
11-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Dave posted this on several posts I have written on. I believe he is connected to this site. This is not good advice. See below

All Independent Agents are middle men. I don't suggest using the net for this though. You will end up buying something from someone you cannot see. Two major problems:

1) No ass to chew. It is better to go see someone when there is a major problem than to call them.

2) What if you are late on a payment and there is no local office. The majority of Co.s do not take electronic payments.

You have people locally who can provide you the same companies. Type all of your prior INS and payroll info into a standarized form and send it out to local agents.

osuokcdave
11-14-2006, 10:13 AM
All of the agents that contact you are from very popular insurance companies, so you will be able to get an agent in your area. It is free, so you have nothing to lose.

The reason it is better than Progressive and other places that do free online quotes is because you get to talk to these agents on the phone, and you have no commitments to buy anything. They give you their quote, and if it's the best, you can buy it.

Much faster, cheaper, and better than calling all of them yourself

Good luck!

Dave

VBsnow
11-14-2006, 10:16 AM
I have to warn you all of something. These services that are posting on here telling folks to use online agents will not work. Many insurance companies offer insurance online for you personal insurance and this is fine. Commercial insurance is too complicated to explain via the "short form". Regardles of how "short" the form is, the company is still going to require you to have an application on file. Alot of business do not understand these forms and just sign them. These forms are a contract between you and the carrier. The worst policies I have looked at for LCO's were done via mail and fax w/ out of town agents. Agents within your reach are better for you, period. You need an adviser you can trust, not a phone number. One of my clients is lying in a hospital bed today and his check has been lsot in the mail or by the INS Co., were not sure which. Guess who is going to the hospital to straighten this out after checking my e-mails and posting responses? It ain't my website

osuokcdave
11-14-2006, 10:22 AM
The link I posted is for quotes only.

If Allied has the best rate, then you can call a local agent exactly like you would if you didn't use the site.

The site is actually helpful.

You get agents to COMPETE FOR YOUR BUSINESS.

This is good.

I do not recommend committing to a policy over the phone, BUT learning who has the best quote I do recommend.

Plus it's free :)

Dave

VBsnow
11-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Dave,

If I thought your site worked for business owners, I would promote it. This method is self serving on your part. If most business owners were savvy enough to answer their own questions, it would not matter. I would not need to post answers on this site.

Oh yeah, comparing your service to Progressive is crap. They only provide auto insurance. You are misleading people. In fact, I don't think you are supposed to be making direct solicitations on this website w/o permission.

osuokcdave
11-14-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm sorry I offended you.

I am truly not trying to take advantage of people.

I have used the site myself and appreciated the response I got from agents. They called only a few minutes afterwards with quote in hand, and all I had to say was "Too high.", or "Can you do this amount?".

I believe people should be informed. So, if you know what kind of insurance you need, and want to see who has the lowest rate, try this:

http://www.2insure4less.com/?s=232495&k=ls&rdto=bsmain

It's free!

Dave

VBsnow
11-14-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm not offended. I am simply poking holes in your pail.

I am bored w/ this actually. Please note that Dave ONLY mentions PRICE. Everything is Cheap, FREE, and EASY.

These words scare me in a solicitation. I have done what I can do.

FiveOJoe
03-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Not sure where you guys are getting Insurance, but I am a start-up business and have been shopping for a month. I want 1mil GL and a mil on my 2004 Chevy truck, plus 25 grand in equipment. Cheapest so far is $3200, highest of 4 quotes in $5300. I am a one man show, no employees and looking to make 20 to 30 Grand this year (If I'm lucky). These quotes do NOT include Pesticide, which I have decided I am not going to get ( I'll refer them to someone else.) In NJ it's easier and cheaper to become a brain surgeon than get a Pesticide License.

Gman2310
03-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Farm Family is the cheapest i found and the best quote. They quoted me apples to apples and they were almost $5000.00 cheaper than any other company i found

chrisludwig
03-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Im in NJ and use Selective Insurance. About $650 for 1 million coverage.
Well worth it.
Although I have only had one person actually want to see an insurance certificate prior to me beginning to service their lawn.
It's much better to have it than not.
Keep in mind that if something happens and you you dont have insurance and you are not an LLC or other corp structure...they can go after your house, truck, mowers....
seems like a big headache to worry about

FiveOJoe
03-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Im in NJ and use Selective Insurance. About $650 for 1 million coverage.
Well worth it.
Although I have only had one person actually want to see an insurance certificate prior to me beginning to service their lawn.
It's much better to have it than not.
Keep in mind that if something happens and you you dont have insurance and you are not an LLC or other corp structure...they can go after your house, truck, mowers....
seems like a big headache to worry about

The one agent I got a quote from said Selective was $1000 for just the million of General Liability. What am I not getting here???? These prices are all over the place.

TJLANDS
03-28-2007, 10:25 PM
The one agent I got a quote from said Selective was $1000 for just the million of General Liability. What am I not getting here???? These prices are all over the place.

Everyones situation is different. Prices will vary from one lawn company to the next. Your needs will be different, your company setup might be different. I never understood the need to see what other people pay.
I use Selective for my G/L, commercial auto, snow plowing, pesticides and an umbrella policy. They have represented me well, most of the time. The most important thing is to be covered, for anything.