PDA

View Full Version : Drive chain broke on bobcat 185

Mike33
10-04-2006, 10:59 PM
My bobcat 185 with about 1700 hours broke a drive chain today. Has any one ever had this happened before? My employee was operating today and was moving some clay for a sub base, was going along side of pile whrn it seemed he had some clay packed in the steel track. This happens at times and he just rocked back and forth then took off. he didnt go far and couldnt back up, when he would try it would move around 4' than stop like the brake was on. had it towed in to shop mechanic took off plate cover and chain was off. They said its only about the fourth one ever broke and come from stress. There are 3 chains in the case.
Mike

rockytopp
10-05-2006, 01:37 AM
This seems to happen quite often after hard stressful hours of use. A friend of mine has bob cat, an older model and can count on a broken chain when ever he gets in tough slam bam digging. My friend down the road brakes one in his case about once a year. I guess any thing man made will break some time or other. I have helped put several on, not to bad of a job with the right attitude. Good luck. Paul

Scag48
10-05-2006, 02:45 AM
It's a combination of high hours and working with steel tracks in clay. Don't feel bad, it was bound to happen at some point.

mak landscape
10-05-2006, 11:00 PM
mike
i have a buddy with a cat 262 that has broken two drive chains both with tracks on. tracks put a lot of tork on chians. his machine has 1600 hrs on it. he had to replace the sprokets two. he ha snow replaced all of the drive chians and sprokets for preventitive reasons. on another note i amd demoing a turf maker 550 next week ill let you know what i think

Mike33
10-05-2006, 11:57 PM
It's a combination of high hours and working with steel tracks in clay. Don't feel bad, it was bound to happen at some point.
Thanks man i know you have been around a lot of equiptment and seen a lot.
Mike

Mike33
10-06-2006, 12:01 AM
mike
i have a buddy with a cat 262 that has broken two drive chains both with tracks on. tracks put a lot of tork on chians. his machine has 1600 hrs on it. he had to replace the sprokets two. he ha snow replaced all of the drive chians and sprokets for preventitive reasons. on another note i amd demoing a turf maker 550 next week ill let you know what i think
Would you mind mentioning my name to Myron, or Ruthie at turf maker. I have demoed my machine 3 times and they give me some perks. Bobcat landscaping Service / Mike Thanks,
Mike

Scag48
10-06-2006, 02:08 AM
Thanks man i know you have been around a lot of equiptment and seen a lot.
Mike

Hahaha, thanks! At least someone thinks at my ripe age of 20 I actually know what I'm talking about. Now, if only I could fool the rest of the world...:rolleyes:

I haven't seen it all, yet, but hopefully I can tell a story or two by the time I'm retired.

Mike33
10-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Hahaha, thanks! At least someone thinks at my ripe age of 20 I actually know what I'm talking about. Now, if only I could fool the rest of the world...:rolleyes:

I haven't seen it all, yet, but hopefully I can tell a story or two by the time I'm retired.
I read your posts i am old enough to ( could be your dad ) to know when posts are real or bull ****. I knew you were young but you pretty well grew up in the business that makes the difference. I do enjoy your straight forward replies i do the same in comm. landscape and hardscape forums and piss off a few people.
Mike

Mike33
10-07-2006, 12:51 AM
Okey vedict is now im at the second rear chain is streched, sprockets at 300.00 a piece is scared, then the axle seals are weak then you should replace the wheel bearings. Looks like a 2k repair but all of drive train will be new. I said go ahead and fix it right, i guess this is my favorite saying " elements of business "
Mike

Scag48
10-07-2006, 01:18 PM
At 1700 hours, you have to be realistic. Good move on getting it fixed, $2K is not a whole lot in the whole scheme of things. How many hours have you had the tracks on there?

Mike33
10-07-2006, 11:47 PM
I would say 75 % of hours. We take them off when building walls around drive ways on black top. But most of our work we run tracks. I ve had this set since 03 every link is adjustable. and i paid around 2,200.00 for them. The first set i bought in 97 only had 4 places you could adjust then the spacers wore egg shaped and it cost me 800.00 to replace spacers and bolts. Every one has there opinion but these steel tracks work great we do un real things with this machine where rubber tires dont always get it. We can take them off or put them on with in 15-20 minutes. The owner at the rental shop who rents and sells bobcats where mine is being repaired told me the other day he wished from his point of business they never would of made the t-190 or 250. In our mountain area with rocks and shale he has to charge so much for rental because of people tearing up the rubber tracks. He said he can put a new set on and with in 100 hours they look lie 1000 hours. Yea im biting the bullet on my repair and having it fixed right by going with new wheel bearings and seals. I have learned things only break when you are using it so fix it right. My employee runs it pretty hard not what i call ripping but i cant say much because i have made damn good money with this machine. I just feel he gets every thing out of this machine. He has became a good operater and i allow him to operate most of the time so i can watch him work instead of him watching me. My plan is to next spring have a second machine so both of can always be working. I have the business to justify it.
Mike