PDA

View Full Version : Info for Old deck style owners

ccl
10-04-2006, 11:02 PM
I own a 04' Super Z 60" deck and have never been totally satisfied with the cut quality, I recently put on the spacer kit to run flat blades and opened up the discharge opening, per Hustler specs. The discharge was better, but I really couldn't tell a noticable difference with cut quality after running the flat blades compared to the offset blades. It never has lifted the grass up very well that the front tires push down and I always run hi-lift blades and alternate my mowing patterns weekly. So I decided to try something I did on one of my walkbehinds a couple of years back that just wasn't lifting the grass very good, I went to J-Thomas.com and ordered some Scag hi-lift
3" wide 21" length blades, the air foil on the blade is alot wider and taller than a normal hi-lift blade, thus creating more vaccum. I ran them all day today and on some really thick grass, huge difference in cut quality, no stringers at all and cut the pushed down grass from the front tires. It also made the discharge even better with the added wind velocity of these blades and the wider opening. I could tell it dragged the motor just a tad more in thick stuff, but nothing major at all, no where close to what running doubles does. Just thought I would pass some info along to some of the owners of the old deck style.

TriCountyLawn
10-05-2006, 10:13 PM
I would like to be able to run flat blades, Just for the option of alot of different kinds of blades. Only 3 options with the hustler blades.

Is this "lowering kit" avail for a 48" hydro walkbehind.

mowerconsultant
10-06-2006, 12:19 AM
Thank you for your input and your explanation.
A few users here over the years posted about using a wider blade and higher lift blades, all with different results.

TriCountyLawn,
Your mower could do this, but you would have to do some work to get it there, this is because you have blade saddles.
I will ask our parts guys for the info needed for the newer spindle shafts to make this a option for you.

Pj

Shady Brook
10-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Without question, those are the best blades for the old style deck in my opinion.

gps_jetskier
10-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Got a part number? These aren't gators are they?

markindetroit
10-09-2006, 01:52 PM
I have had the same issue. Mine is also an '04 model. Same complaints with cut quality/not lifting. I will try your suggestion for next year. My year is just about wrpped up. BTW, I tried the Hustler fusion blades this year..not really impressed. Thanks for the suggestion. Have a good one.

gps_jetskier
10-10-2006, 09:03 AM
I saw a guy on here that was experimenting with blades. He welded a taller wing on the blade for more lift. I've often thought about doing that to mine, but it would be alot easier to just buy them for some other unit.

mowerconsultant
10-10-2006, 10:01 AM
I have had the same issue. Mine is also an '04 model. Same complaints with cut quality/not lifting. I will try your suggestion for next year. My year is just about wrpped up. BTW, I tried the Hustler fusion blades this year..not really impressed. Thanks for the suggestion. Have a good one.

Did you put in the spacers? did you open up the discharge opening? I don't hear any complaints once these are all done.

Pj

gps_jetskier
10-10-2006, 10:11 AM
what are the dimensions on the spacers?
I was going to whip up a set here to try out rather drive to my dealer.
I have the opened up deck, but there are no spacers on my blades.
I have the flat stock blades on my replacement deck. I could use some help too.

mowerconsultant
10-10-2006, 10:48 AM

I dont have that information, I will see if I can get it.

Pj

markindetroit
10-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Did you put in the spacers? did you open up the discharge opening? I don't hear any complaints once these are all done.

Pj

I do have the spacer, but did not cut open the discharge chute. I bought the mulch kit last year and by enlarging the opening, would be a waste of that kit ( closure for discharge wouldn't fit ).
I just thought for the price of the fusion blades, I just wasn't really impressed with the cut. Perhaps when I try the gentlemans' suggestion of those different blades next year, I might change my mind. I just didn't like the spindle type peices of grass not getting cut, so I am looking to try a different set up than what I have.

gene gls
10-10-2006, 10:06 PM

1.75 OD,.650 thick, .630 ID

gene gls
10-10-2006, 10:22 PM
The best fix for the old 60" deck is to cut out the recirculating baffel in the front of the deck. Weld in a 1/8" flat piece of steel and you have a "free flow" deck. The only down side is that you lose some of the cut quality when cutting tall grass backwards. Also, a stamped sail blade keeps most of the clippings to the front part of the opening.

blackandgold
10-11-2006, 01:21 AM
I too have had success with the Scag Super High Lift blades on the 60" interim deck- both with discharge and cut quality. I will come up with the Oregon part number asap.

mowerconsultant
10-11-2006, 08:46 AM
I do have the spacer, but did not cut open the discharge chute. I bought the mulch kit last year and by enlarging the opening, would be a waste of that kit ( closure for discharge wouldn't fit ).
I just thought for the price of the fusion blades, I just wasn't really impressed with the cut. Perhaps when I try the gentlemans' suggestion of those different blades next year, I might change my mind. I just didn't like the spindle type peices of grass not getting cut, so I am looking to try a different set up than what I have.

Mark,
There is a filler piece you bolt in once the discharge is opened up when installing the mulch kit and the Bac-Vac, or you can buy the newer mulch closure plate.
If you used the Fusion blades with a mulch kit you are not going to get a good cut, they are a side discharge blade.
Once the Fusion blade's are installed and the opening enlarged the deck cuts great.
Make sure your engine is at the proper rpm, deck is pitched correctly, blades are sharp and you should be good to go.

Pj

TriCountyLawn
10-13-2006, 05:18 PM
TriCountyLawn,
Your mower could do this, but you would have to do some work to get it there, this is because you have blade saddles.
I will ask our parts guys for the info needed for the newer spindle shafts to make this a option for you.

Pj

Heard back from anyone yet ?

mowerconsultant
10-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Heard back from anyone yet ?

Catching up on e-mails now, I will look and see.

Pj

beaver29
10-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Will these scag high lift blades work on the new XR-7 decks?

mowerconsultant
10-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Will these scag high lift blades work on the new XR-7 decks?

You shouldn't need them, the Fusion's are your best bet.
But I believe they are talking about using the Scag blades for the old style deck, and that deck uses a different size blade.

Pj

gps_jetskier
10-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the dims. I spun down a couple here at work and will throw them on to try. I'll need longer bolts too right? Not even sure what these are....

gps_jetskier