PDA

View Full Version : Daily Log?

Jerry and Sons
10-05-2006, 10:37 AM
I currently have a crew of three guys on the road and I am running into some problems when it comes to billing. Some customers are stateing that they were not cut on the date on the bill or were skipped all together. Does any one have a log they use to keep track of lawns mowed or a form you leave at the home for the customer to let them know that we were there?

richallseasons
10-05-2006, 11:59 PM
I make my guys fill out a log sheet for every property with all the info you might need - time in , time out , unusual things , did they speak to owner or manager ect. keeps you informed if questions pop up down the road.

firefightergw
10-06-2006, 11:07 AM
I make my guys fill out a log sheet for every property with all the info you might need - time in , time out , unusual things , did they speak to owner or manager ect. keeps you informed if questions pop up down the road.

I do the same thing. When a customer calls and says that it doesn't look like the crew showed up that day, it pretty much is a done deal when you say "well Mr. Customer, my crew actually serviced your lawn at 11:22am this morning. Have been down this road before and being able to give an exact time let's them know you are organized and that you know what is going on.

bullethead
10-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Or you stick a gps tracking system in your truck and have data in your computer from it that backs up your contention. Also - you need to clearly give your customer a time limit to contest their service or perceived lack of it.

jsf343
10-06-2006, 02:38 PM

Do you by chance have a copy of your log that you would be willing to share? Thanks! Jeff

jsf343
10-06-2006, 02:40 PM
I do the same thing. When a customer calls and says that it doesn't look like the crew showed up that day, it pretty much is a done deal when you say "well Mr. Customer, my crew actually serviced your lawn at 11:22am this morning. Have been down this road before and being able to give an exact time let's them know you are organized and that you know what is going on.

I asked another poster the same question, would you be willing to share a copy of your log? Thank you!

Tim Wright
10-06-2006, 05:23 PM
I am going to buy CLIP software which is a complete system for managing your business.

What I am looking for is that you can use the web enabled module that uses web enabled cell phones that will track start and stop times of every job and update the office system in real time.

Tim

Runner
10-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Here is what mine looks like. Look in this thread - http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=115311&page=2 . I have an attachment in my last post of our field log sheet that we use for our maintenance operations. I hope this helps.

Josh.S
10-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Here is what mine looks like

http://h1.ripway.com/07sarcj/worklog.GIF

at the beginning of the month I simply hit print and the access program pulls everything onto about 40 work logs, and i put them in a binder, each work logs has enough room for 5 jobs per property, and i print off an extra one for the fertalized accoumts and things like that or if it was in spring i would just print double work logs..

i also have a excel spread sheet for an overview of the logs..

http://h1.ripway.com/07sarcj/OctoberSpreadsheetBlank.xls

this is how i keep track of all of my accounts and it works great for me... but everybody needs to find the way that works for them....

my problem is i still dont have any good way for scheduling...

jsf343
10-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Wow, I kind of gave up. Thank you to you both:waving:

Runner
10-10-2006, 01:22 AM
Wow,...that was messed up (mine) with the columns......Here,...try this.:)

Josh.S
10-10-2006, 01:28 AM
Wow,...that was messed up (mine) with the columns......Here,...try this.:)

Do you record what you have mowed everyday into the computer? what you have wouldn't work for me because for my billing program i click the person, type the dates mowed, and then go to the next person and repeat, so i need to see the dates with looking at the person

what billing software do you use?

Runner
10-10-2006, 01:57 AM
Yeah,...everything is entered daily (ok,...sometimes every couple of days..lol). I do have a planned route, and the customers usually stay right in the same order (with a few variations). It only takes a few minutes a day, and this way, I can get into the program and see and tell the customer right where they're at.
I DO see your method though, if you are doing your billing entries once a month right from the sheets. I would sure hate to lose a months worth of dates on a customer, though if anything ever happened to the binder, though.

Josh.S
10-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Yeah,...everything is entered daily (ok,...sometimes every couple of days..lol). I do have a planned route, and the customers usually stay right in the same order (with a few variations). It only takes a few minutes a day, and this way, I can get into the program and see and tell the customer right where they're at.
I DO see your method though, if you are doing your billing entries once a month right from the sheets. I would sure hate to lose a months worth of dates on a customer, though if anything ever happened to the binder, though.

I know that would be terrable

I scan that spreadsheat with all the names and dates every couple of days, and since i am mainly solo i think as long as i am careful i should be ok

my billing takes me about an hour once a month, and no other computer work until the end of the next month (except for me making my budget and stuff like that)

richallseasons
10-10-2006, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=jsf343]Do you by chance have a copy of your log that you would be willing to share? Thanks! Jeff[/QUOTE
I use groundskeeper pro and it has a section that prints out the log sheets for me but I will try and scan it in for you to look at.

jsf343
10-10-2006, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=jsf343]Do you by chance have a copy of your log that you would be willing to share? Thanks! Jeff[/QUOTE
I use groundskeeper pro and it has a section that prints out the log sheets for me but I will try and scan it in for you to look at.

Thanks but I have it already. In fact I gave up gk to go to quickbooks pro.
appreciate your willingness to help though.:waving:

bullethead
10-11-2006, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=richallseasons]

Thanks but I have it already. In fact I gave up gk to go to quickbooks pro.
appreciate your willingness to help though.:waving:

If you have quickbooks, then why don't you tack on a program like QXpress. Scheduling/Route Sheets/Invoicing/Mapping that intergrates with QB.

jsf343
10-11-2006, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=jsf343]

If you have quickbooks, then why don't you tack on a program like QXpress. Scheduling/Route Sheets/Invoicing/Mapping that intergrates with QB.

Well maybe I will just do that. Do you use it? how much does it run do you know? I'll look at it whern I get some time. My foremans wife had a baby today so I have been running routes all week. Didn't realize how bad of shape I had gotten in since I am not doing as much in the field.

qualitylawnmanagement
10-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Here is what mine looks like

http://h1.ripway.com/07sarcj/worklog.GIF

at the beginning of the month I simply hit print and the access program pulls everything onto about 40 work logs, and i put them in a binder, each work logs has enough room for 5 jobs per property, and i print off an extra one for the fertalized accoumts and things like that or if it was in spring i would just print double work logs..

i also have a excel spread sheet for an overview of the logs..

http://h1.ripway.com/07sarcj/OctoberSpreadsheetBlank.xls

this is how i keep track of all of my accounts and it works great for me... but everybody needs to find the way that works for them....

my problem is i still dont have any good way for scheduling...

Hey I have the same log as you doing with columns. Works great.

Josh.S
10-13-2006, 03:41 AM
Hey I have the same log as you doing with columns. Works great.

The worksheet is to prone to errors to do all the billing off of, but for an overview (to see what needs mowed) it works great.

hoyboy
10-13-2006, 08:57 AM
We use Clip as well and I agree with the post that says if you have the exact time your crews were at the property it tends to be the best defense. However, I've also learned that if a customer is bent on cheating, the facts aren't really important to them. You can have a picture of the crew with a calender and a big clock in the background, in front of their door with the foreman kissing the maid, and they would still insist you were never there. If this happens too often you will need to drop the customer. You can also just throw them a bone when it happens, if it doesn't happen too often, and try to make it up later somehow.