PDA

View Full Version : laid off for the winter

dmk395
06-10-2001, 04:08 PM
Does anyone get laid off during the winter? I was curious if I incorporated, thus being a separate entity, could I lay myself and my employees off during the hectic New England winter?

Lanelle
06-10-2001, 04:21 PM
Buy snow plows and stay busy during the winter. :)

Guido
06-10-2001, 04:44 PM
Never thoughtof that. My first thought would be like Lannele said and get into snow removal, but my second thought is...

Hmmmm....... sounds like you should research this. I'm sure someone has tried it though and the loophole is probobly already repaired.

Let us know what you find out though!

dmk395
06-10-2001, 05:03 PM
Is the increased overhead really worth it to get into snow plowing?
Alot of guys around here do it, so there is obviously money in it. Nonetheless some of these are the same guys who drive around in trucks worth 30k (heavy duty 4x4 with all the options), doing the same amount of work I do with my truck worth about 2k.

site
06-10-2001, 10:03 PM
My question is how do I keep from laying people off during the winter? They can get pretty comfortable at a new job after 3 months and they don't always come back. So far this is what we've done- We push the season until winter forces us to stop. Then we fix all the broken equipment and get ready for snow. We plow shovel and sand and pick up several construction demolition and hauling jobs. Then, we start spring by fixing all the broken stuff and jumping on jobs as soon as we can. It still makes for a hectic time with more workers than work.

dmk395
06-11-2001, 09:23 PM
Come on now guys, someone with a large company must know the answer to this one.

LoneStarLawn
06-11-2001, 09:40 PM
Large company owners don't have the problems of "laying themselves off" during winter. Most have seasonal workers and year round workers (meaning they have work year round).

paul
06-11-2001, 09:46 PM
In theory you could get laid off but the question is who would do the paper work so you could collect compensation? Most states frown on this, you signing your own unemployment papers.

parkwest
06-12-2001, 02:11 AM
Sorry I don't think officers of a corporation can lay themselves off and collect. Anyhow, that would boost your unemployment rate.

lbmd1
06-12-2001, 06:38 AM
Parkwest is correct. As officers of the corporation, you cannot lay yourself off. Even though you have to pay unemployment insurance on yourself, you'll never collect on it.

Mike

racerdave
06-12-2001, 03:06 PM
Can you pay yourself and/or your employees to work at a charitable association. Then use this as a tax write off?

example: heavy rain for days, all maintenance is completed, we are all twittling ours thumbs looking for something to do in the short term until the ground is firm enough to mow.

David

dmk395
06-12-2001, 09:35 PM
yup found out what you say is correct, if i lay myself off then the business can't exist. hell it was worth a shot

SCL
06-15-2001, 10:15 AM
My wife and I work our business togethher but I thought about "employing" her so we could collect her unemployment in the winter. First my accountant giggled then went over the extra costs to set up this way and dissuaded my thoughts. A guys always gotta be thinking though.:)

dmk395
06-15-2001, 05:33 PM
Heck, maybe I should just sell the business to my 16 year old sister, then pay myself as an employee. LOL

John Allin
06-16-2001, 12:56 PM
Increasing overhead is not a problem if you can charge for the increase, still make a profit, and keep the people working.

Most viable contractors that offer snow removal services (and treat it as a profit center) find that it carries a much higher margin as compared to landscape maintenance.

Don't discount it as an option.

Sammy
06-17-2001, 10:12 AM
:) In Michigan if you are related to the owner, spouse-child, you can only draw for 7 weeks.