PDA

View Full Version : I need ideas on how to pull 800 pounds of concrete out of the ground

ztec
10-08-2006, 01:56 AM
So I install inground basketball goals and I have 2 going on that need to be ripped out. On old small ones I can usually pull them out with my truck but these are 16" diameter and go down about 48" (about 800lbs of concrete). They have j bolts sticking out to grab by. Both of these are mistakes(luckilly not on my part) so they were only dug up and poured about 5 days ago. I really dont want to jackhammer them out since jackhammers dont work to well in a narrow deep hole. Skid steer could prolly yank it but I dont want to risk asphault damage. I have a 2 ton engine crane but Im not sure if that would work or not, only other idea I have is calling a tow company with a recovery truck. So any ideas would be great.

thanks

tthomass
10-08-2006, 11:37 AM
u won't use a skid steer to lift it straight up but you will call a towing company to rip it out at an angle???

if you are a good operator there is no worry of damaging the asphault.......ex spinn'n around and dragging tires etc........and get a big one

Dirty Water
10-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Get a 6 ton mini ex.

YardPro
10-08-2006, 09:55 PM
your lift will do fine, so will the bobcat...

olderthandirt
10-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Both of these are mistakes(luckilly not on my part) so they were only dug up and poured about 5 days ago

I'd let who ever made the mistake fix it :waving:

DVS Hardscaper
10-08-2006, 10:50 PM
only 800 pounds?

we have lifted 3000 pounds of concrete with TWO skid steers at the same time.

If all you're talking is 800#, just use a skid steer with pallet forks.

END OF DISCUSSION

Mike33
10-08-2006, 11:02 PM
only 800 pounds?

we have lifted 3000 pounds of concrete with TWO skid steers at the same time.

If all you're talking is 800#, just use a skid steer with pallet forks.

END OF DISCUSSION
Good post.
Mike

ztec
10-09-2006, 01:16 AM
As far as skid steers I have a new holland 870 and a bobcat tsomething (track loader). Both are asphualt driveways, I dont have much experience using either machine on road and Im not sure of how easy the machines would damage the driveway. Which machine would be better? I know the track loader must be turned very carefully on pavement and I know the wheeled machine has a high pound per square foot rating.

huh
10-09-2006, 01:55 AM
if you are that concerned about the asphalt you need to lay down some plywood sheets for the skid to be on when it is attacking the concrete....if thick plywood is too expensive put down some layers of felt paper then wood.....if you buy right and are careful you will walk away with 8-10 sheets of still useable plywood at someone elses expense :):usflag:

paponte
10-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Skidsteer and plywood. Great combination on asphalt. :clapping:

ztec
10-09-2006, 10:34 PM
pavement was also poured about a week ago so Im still waiting but how long should I wait before trying to bring a machine on it.

freddyc
10-09-2006, 10:50 PM
put down the plywood and go ahead. If you can walk on the tar, the distributed weight over the plywood would be fine. How far on the tar do you actually have to go??

ztec
10-10-2006, 11:11 PM
put down the plywood and go ahead. If you can walk on the tar, the distributed weight over the plywood would be fine. How far on the tar do you actually have to go??

how far? well the driveway is around 600ft long and has a turn that is about 100 degrees so there no way I would be able to get a trailer down there. I would have to dump the machinne on the st

horizonmowing
10-10-2006, 11:16 PM
prob a dumb question but.... why cant you just leave them in the ground?

wow, i sound lazy.

Splicer
10-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Dig around out them and then lift using the skid steer forks...may have to 'wiggle' them to loosen them but other than that...piece of cake...