PDA

View Full Version : Time for a blowout kit

MAJMattMason
10-08-2006, 07:26 AM
PJ,

I think I'm ready for a blowout kit on my 72" XR7. After cutting the grass yesterday, I was utterly covered in grass coming directly from in front of me from the deck. When I'm finished mowing the five acres, the deck looks like it's wearing camoflauge, I'm covered in grass and dirt. It's so bad that I'm having to hold my breath and close my eyes, something I don't think I'm able to do for five acres worth of grass. No, it wasn't windy yesterday. I have to take my Stihl blower and blow off the deck before parking it in the garage so it doesn't deposit a load that rode in on the deck. As I'm sitting here typing, I'm having to clear out the junk from my eyes from yesterday's session. It's bad.

I love everything else about the mower, but really don't like to become one with the lawn in this fashion. This really needs to be fixed. My dealer is Terry's Tool and Equipment rental in Cumming, GA.

mowerconsultant
10-10-2006, 08:26 AM
Are you mulching by chance?
Either way sounds like you need a air control kit (blowout kit), this will take care of what your dealing with.
Here is the information.
Kit, 72" XR-7 Air Control part # 107638 MSRP $113.00

Pj

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
10-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Is it dust some mowers are bad tell us more.

MAJMattMason
10-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Not mulching, just regular mowing, and would you please describe the part. Also, if you don't mind my asking, wasn't this something that Hustler was taking care of for their customers?

mowerconsultant
10-10-2006, 09:46 AM
This kit basically stops the roll out of air from the front of the deck.
It bolts in the front of the deck.
Some need it, some don't.
This is not the same as the air lift kit that some guys are installing to take care of cut quality issues.
We have always offered a blow out type kit for our mowers, they need to be installed in some conditions to prevent what is happening in your case, and especially with mulch kits and catchers.

Pj

MAJMattMason
10-10-2006, 10:02 AM
OK, thanks. I've already spoken with the folks at Terry's about the part and they're checking into it. When you say it bolts onto the front, does that mean they have to drill holes into the front of the deck?

MAJMattMason
10-10-2006, 04:40 PM
PJ,

I took a look at another blowout kit Hustler supplies and it looks an awful lot like what is already on my XR7 deck in front. Two triangle shaped plates that are under the deck in between the three blades. Is this what the blowout kit is like for the 72" XR7 deck or is it something different?

blackandgold
10-11-2006, 12:26 AM
The kit that controlls the air and lift in certain grass conditions, may also help you eliminate blow out. Both drop the front edge of the deck lower and lower the deck baffle below the blade tip. Talk to you dealer and see if this would help you better than the blow out kit PJ is discribing.

mowerconsultant
10-11-2006, 07:49 AM
OK, thanks. I've already spoken with the folks at Terry's about the part and they're checking into it. When you say it bolts onto the front, does that mean they have to drill holes into the front of the deck?

The holes are already there to bolt it in.
The deck is designed to have this kit bolted in.

Pj

mowerconsultant
10-11-2006, 07:50 AM
PJ,

I took a look at another blowout kit Hustler supplies and it looks an awful lot like what is already on my XR7 deck in front. Two triangle shaped plates that are under the deck in between the three blades. Is this what the blowout kit is like for the 72" XR7 deck or is it something different?

It is different.

MAJMattMason
10-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Great. Thanks for the help. The part should be in today according to the folks at Terry's.

bderks
10-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Hey PJ - I'm having this same problem with my 52/20 Fastrak. I'm running double blades, and after putting the mulch kit on, the front blowout is terrible. Is there a kit for the Fastrak? Any pictures of the kit?

Thanks,
Brandon

mowerconsultant
10-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Hey PJ - I'm having this same problem with my 52/20 Fastrak. I'm running double blades, and after putting the mulch kit on, the front blowout is terrible. Is there a kit for the Fastrak? Any pictures of the kit?

Thanks,
Brandon

No, there is not a blow out kit available for the FasTrak.

Pj

MAJMattMason
10-23-2006, 12:56 PM
PJ,

I just spoke with the folks at Terry's Tool who are getting ready to put on the blowout kit. They're saying that they have to drill four holes in the backside of the deck to install two triangular shape pieces. Do you know anything about this? They said everything else bolts onto the front, but they have to install something that goes on the backside too. Thoughts?

mowerconsultant
10-24-2006, 01:03 PM
PJ,

I just spoke with the folks at Terry's Tool who are getting ready to put on the blowout kit. They're saying that they have to drill four holes in the backside of the deck to install two triangular shape pieces. Do you know anything about this? They said everything else bolts onto the front, but they have to install something that goes on the backside too. Thoughts?

They are speaking of the triangular filler baffles that are installed in the rear of the deck.
This is true, the newer decks have these holes in them already, yours was not one of them.
It is simple, a template is provided and your dealer will have no problem putting them in.

Pj

MAJMattMason
10-29-2006, 03:34 PM
PJ,

Well now I have the blowout kit installed and except for the dent they put on the backside of the mower (which has me concerned about the muffler and if it's going to cause a crack in the pipe at some point) I can't tell much of a difference. I'm still getting a lot of blowout from the front, left side mostly. I looked underneath to see what might be causing it and temporarily removed the new triangle baffle in the front to see if that would help any. It might have a bit, but nothing to write home about. Is this going to be the norm that I just need to "get over it" and accept, that is to wear half of the yard every time I mow it? Seems a bit ridiculous for such an expensive mower. The cut is fine, I'm just getting tired of choking everytime I mow the yard. I'm wondering now if the rear discharge deck would have worked better. Any thoughts?

mowerconsultant
10-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Did you have the airlift kit installed or the air control kit (A.K.A. the anti blow out kit) ?

MAJMattMason
10-30-2006, 08:35 AM
I don't know which they installed. It was supposed to be the anti blow out kit. It has a lowered rail in the front, about 3/4", along with a triangle baffle on the front left side only and then two small triangle wedges that attached to the backside. Does that tell you which kit they installed?

mowerconsultant
10-31-2006, 07:44 AM
Give your dealer a call, it sounds like you had the air lift kit installed, you need the air control kit to prevent blow out.

Pj

stumper1620
10-31-2006, 08:08 AM
Give your dealer a call, it sounds like you had the air lift kit installed, you need the air control kit to prevent blow out.

Pj
Mower consultant,
sorry for coming to you on this but, this thread makes a good time to ask.
I don't have a Hustler but I'm very curious about this situation you are dealing with.
I have a JD with the same blow out issues. I wondered is this something that Hustler is backing or is it the customers problem to pay for the fixes?
I ask this because I bought a mulch kit at the same time as I bought my mower(add $285) then I bought the bagger( another 1800) when I started using these things for fall clean up I have blowout so bad i can't catch up to the leaves as they are blowing away.
I called my dealer and they informed me about the "leaf anti blowout kit"
( add $185+ s/h w/o installation) seems to me that if this kit exist, then they know its a problem in more than a few cases, wouldn't you agree that this probably should.....A) be installed during production B) be included with one of these over priced kits C) At least be offered at a reasonable price?

It seems as though manufactures are leaving out the important little extras that are causing excess expense for the LCO.
here I am mulching leaves and have to blow off the left overs that the blowout blew away from the deck of my $10k machine, I drive down the road and see a homeowner with a $2k lawn tractor mulching and not missing a thing. this really don't make me or the manufacturer look good now does it?

MAJMattMason
10-31-2006, 09:23 AM
PJ,

I spoke with Terry and here is what he said they installed. They received a Service Bulletin #437 mentioning part number #108231 that included part number #107896. Obviously, these are not the same number as the one you mentioned, #107638. Do the other parts need to be in place for the #107638 to be installed?

Second question: since they accidentally dented the rear bumper, Terry said he would help with the price of a custom bumper, which I had thought about adding. My question is this, can Hustler take a computer file and use to program into the laser cutter? I'm in the graphics field and would be able to provide them with whatever they might need, if I knew what that was and who to send it to. Thanks.

mowerconsultant
11-01-2006, 03:57 PM
PJ,

I spoke with Terry and here is what he said they installed. They received a Service Bulletin #437 mentioning part number #108231 that included part number #107896. Obviously, these are not the same number as the one you mentioned, #107638. Do the other parts need to be in place for the #107638 to be installed?

The wrong kit was installed.
You need the air control kit (#107638), it is what prevents the blow out from the front of the deck, it can not be installed with the air lift kit (#108231), although you can leave the rear triangle baffle / filler in place (#107896).

Second question: since they accidentally dented the rear bumper, Terry said he would help with the price of a custom bumper, which I had thought about adding. My question is this, can Hustler take a computer file and use to program into the laser cutter? I'm in the graphics field and would be able to provide them with whatever they might need, if I knew what that was and who to send it to. Thanks.

Last I heard we did not allow this, I will ask again though.

Pj

MAJMattMason
11-01-2006, 04:01 PM
If it is not allowed to use a custom computer file for the bumper, I'd like to know what typeface they use for the laser cutting so I'd have an idea of what to expect before ordering. Thanks.

mowerconsultant
11-01-2006, 04:13 PM
If it is not allowed to use a custom computer file for the bumper, I'd like to know what typeface they use for the laser cutting so I'd have an idea of what to expect before ordering. Thanks.
Font used will be stencil with a maximum of 10 letters (including ) spaces

mowerconsultant
11-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Mower consultant,
sorry for coming to you on this but, this thread makes a good time to ask.
I don't have a Hustler but I'm very curious about this situation you are dealing with.
I have a JD with the same blow out issues. I wondered is this something that Hustler is backing or is it the customers problem to pay for the fixes?
I ask this because I bought a mulch kit at the same time as I bought my mower(add $285) then I bought the bagger( another 1800) when I started using these things for fall clean up I have blowout so bad i can't catch up to the leaves as they are blowing away.
I called my dealer and they informed me about the "leaf anti blowout kit"
( add $185+ s/h w/o installation) seems to me that if this kit exist, then they know its a problem in more than a few cases, wouldn't you agree that this probably should.....A) be installed during production B) be included with one of these over priced kits C) At least be offered at a reasonable price?

It seems as though manufactures are leaving out the important little extras that are causing excess expense for the LCO.
here I am mulching leaves and have to blow off the left overs that the blowout blew away from the deck of my $10k machine, I drive down the road and see a homeowner with a $2k lawn tractor mulching and not missing a thing. this really don't make me or the manufacturer look good now does it?

There is no "fix", there is nothing wrong.
The anti blow out kits are for exactly that, in some regions and conditions they are not needed and actually would prevent grass from being cut, but in other regions and conditions they are needed for mulching and bagging due to the airflow in the applications they are in.
This is why we don't install them in the deck from the factory and do not include them with the mulch kit.

Pj

stumper1620
11-01-2006, 07:28 PM
There is no "fix", there is nothing wrong.
The anti blow out kits are for exactly that, in some regions and conditions they are not needed and actually would prevent grass from being cut, but in other regions and conditions they are needed for mulching and bagging due to the airflow in the applications they are in.
This is why we don't install them in the deck from the factory and do not include them with the mulch kit.

Pj
Thank You,