PDA

View Full Version : Are we really Professionals?

Grass Kickin
10-10-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm curious. I operate a full time landscaping business with about 70 accounts. I put in more than 40 hrs a week. I carry one full time employee besides myself. I have two part timers who work with me on a very large account once a week. I also operate another unrelated business. I am retired from a law enforcement career. Even when I was called a law enforcement professional, I felt that there was nothing professional about it.

I mean, I set out to always do the right thing and perform and complete my jobs as high quality as possible. I don't necessarily think this constitutes professionalism....moreso it is good business sense and gets you return business.

I've seen a couple of people post on this site like they are doing people a favor....working for them and I think that is a horrible attitude to have. I've seen my share of fly by night operations that certainly are not professional. I'm usually called in to clean up their mess.

I'm not knocking what we do but I kind of envision a Professional as someone in a suit who goes to boord meetings or follows the stocks diligently. Let's face it, I've seen people in that walk of life who I would hardly consider professional. Perhaps beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I guess I would like to see what most of you think about this.

Surf'n'Turf
10-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I've seen my share of fly by night operations that certainly are not professional. I'm usually called in to clean up their mess.

So you know what professional isn't. I'd say its a state of mind...if ya feel like a schlep, act like a schlep, you'll be treated like a schlep.

From wikipedia:
A professional provides a service in exchange for payment in accordance with established protocols for licensing, ethics, procedures, standards of service and training/certification. A professional is a member of a licensing body which is legally established within the laws of a given state, county, province or nation.

The term "professional" is widely used to refer to individuals with recognized expertise within a field of endeavor even though they are not a member of a licensing body or legal entity. The distinction between professional sports and amateur sports simply refers to how the athlete is funded. Similarly the distinction within creative pursuits between professional and amateur becomes somewhat grey.

Historically, behaving professionally would indicate that the person's actions remain in accordance with specific rules, written or unwritten, pertaining to behavior, dress, speech, etc. By extension, the adjective professional identified somebody recognized for expertise or skill in a craft or activity.

In narrow usage, not all expertise is considered a profession. Although sometimes referred to as professions, such occupations as skilled construction work are more generally thought of as trades or crafts. The completion of an apprenticeship is generally associated with skilled labor or trades such as carpenter, electrician, plumber, and other similar occupations.

In cases lacking a licensing body, the opposite of a professional is an amateur or, disparagingly, "rank amateur." Sometimes an amateur can perform as well or better than a professional. Therefore, in many fields a person must overcome a barrier before gaining recognition as a professional. Such barriers include academic degrees, certification, or licenses. Professions with such legal barriers include those of accountancy, architecture, medicine, engineering, intelligence, law, clergy and teaching. In the strictest sense, a profession is created by legislation and is self-regulating, e.g. through a Code of ethics.

BSDeality
10-10-2006, 04:08 PM
grass cutting, cleanup stuff, mulching, stupid crap like that should never be considered "professional" in my opinion either. However doing specialty work such as pesticides, fertilizing, or hardscaping (with a high degree of accuracy) would be deemed "professional" in my eyes.

MarcSmith
10-10-2006, 04:42 PM
owning and operating a business takes a certain amount of professionalism, no matter what the core jobs is, shoveling chit or smelling roses....

If you carry yoruself well and act like a proffessional, Iwould hope your clients would treat you as such...

jazak
10-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Try doing tree work; thats a real professional job.

dcgreenspro
10-10-2006, 06:01 PM
i know plenty of used car salesman that put on a suit everyday, i wouldn't call them professional. As far as what we do, marc smith is right on the money. Act professionally and be treated like one.
as far as everything else goes, not everyone can diagnose turf diseases, provide insect control, maintian a balanced fertility and generally produce a quality turf. Guys who install and maintain irrigation, landscaping and tree care are all professionals because they provide a specific job that requires an amount of skill and knowledge.

ECS
10-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Lawyers, Doctors, Brokers, Persidents & VPs of Corporations & any other profession out here very ralely ever wear a suit. Blue Jeans are the attire out here for work, weddings & funerals. Clothing don't mean chit, it is all how you present yourself.

If you carry yoruself well and act like a proffessional, Iwould hope your clients would treat you as such...
So you know what professional isn't. I'd say its a state of mind...if ya feel like a schlep, act like a schlep, you'll be treated like a schlep.

paponte
10-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Well lets see here, let's play a little game of who am I...

I am the President of a constantly growing Corporation. I own stock, trucks, equipment, and have both full time and part time employees. I have certifications, licenses, and over 12 years experience in my "profession". I pay taxes, charge sales tax, and have a Federal sales tax number. My employees all wear uniforms and are trained in their line of work. Our company vehicles are lettered and are cleaned on a daily to weekly basis. I carry a laptop as well as a company phone and radio. I arrange and attend both company and client meetings, as well as sales, marketing, and management courses and meetings. We provide superior service and surpass industry standards with the latest in technology, techniques and equipment. We are looked upon and respected locally as a professional in our line of work.

I am a professional in my field...

...I am a landscape contractor. :clapping:

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
10-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Professional post.

MarkintheGarden
10-12-2006, 06:13 PM
I'm curious. I operate a full time landscaping business with about 70 accounts. I put in more than 40 hrs a week. I carry one full time employee besides myself. I have two part timers who work with me on a very large account once a week. I also operate another unrelated business. I am retired from a law enforcement career. Even when I was called a law enforcement professional, I felt that there was nothing professional about it.

I mean, I set out to always do the right thing and perform and complete my jobs as high quality as possible. I don't necessarily think this constitutes professionalism....moreso it is good business sense and gets you return business.

I've seen a couple of people post on this site like they are doing people a favor....working for them and I think that is a horrible attitude to have. I've seen my share of fly by night operations that certainly are not professional. I'm usually called in to clean up their mess.

I'm not knocking what we do but I kind of envision a Professional as someone in a suit who goes to boord meetings or follows the stocks diligently. Let's face it, I've seen people in that walk of life who I would hardly consider professional. Perhaps beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I guess I would like to see what most of you think about this.

Great question to kick around GK.

Shakespear said: "Would not a rose by any other name smell just as sweet?"

Some may call me a professional, some may call me a craftsman or a small business owner, I think some call me a lowlife with a lawn mower, but I call myself an artist with a shovel.

sheshovel
10-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Well lets see here, let's play a little game of who am I...

I am the President of a constantly growing Corporation. I own stock, trucks, equipment, and have both full time and part time employees. I have certifications, licenses, and over 12 years experience in my "profession". I pay taxes, charge sales tax, and have a Federal sales tax number. My employees all wear uniforms and are trained in their line of work. Our company vehicles are lettered and are cleaned on a daily to weekly basis. I carry a laptop as well as a company phone and radio. I arrange and attend both company and client meetings, as well as sales, marketing, and management courses and meetings. We provide superior service and surpass industry standards with the latest in technology, techniques and equipment. We are looked upon and respected locally as a professional in our line of work.

I am a professional in my field...

...I am a landscape contractor. :clapping:

You are a professional Landscape Contractor.

Jpocket
10-12-2006, 06:53 PM
To me if you are any kind of contractor, and do it for a living, you are a professional.

Fantasy Lawns
10-12-2006, 07:55 PM
If your making $$ at what ever it is n it's your main source of income ..... your a pro

I have a buddy whom we all play cards with .... I beat him ....my friends beat him .... last year he made +6 figures playing cards ..... he's a Pro ... this is how he pays his bills ....

When we play in our group ... that's his fun time

I know girl whom is ranked top 15th on the Female Pool Association .... her cousin is Ga Young Kim ... ranked like #3-4 in the world .... she's a Pro .... she comes into the local pool hall n takes all the big guys $$ .... she loses some ....but that's how she makes a living ....

I make my living cutting grass .... do no tree or spray .... I sub that out .... I've paid fore my home, trucks, toys, etc ..... I help feed 6 other guys family's ....been doing this last 10 years .... I own a Professional Lawn Business

I say if you main source of income is else where .... Law, Fire, or what ever .... than that's your main source of income .... the lawn thing is a side thing

topsites
10-16-2006, 11:18 AM
It does have to do with legislation.

Fact is, every state has a listing of professions, that is, jobs that are considered such. Now, either what you do is listed as a profession, or it isn't. So to be a professional, one's job must be listed (or defined) as a profession, and in most cases this listing or definition is provided at the state level.

Here in Va, nothing in the listing defines lawn care or even landscaping as a profession, and technically speaking, if what you do is not listed as a profession, then you are not a professional, regardless of dress or attitude.

I do believe a horticulturist is listed, and there is one or another far off (and highly technical) job that is defined as a profession but it's not even close to what I do, and I would tend to agree that what most of us do is not such.

It depends further how technical we want to get, but like was said, once we get away from the true definition of a professional, we enter a grey area. I dare say in most cases, it involves school... That's not to say every profession requires a college degree, but I think in most cases and as a rough guide to what we're speaking of here, the answer is yes.

hoyboy
10-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Sorry, but I have to disagree. I don't need to be recognized by a government agency to be labeled a professional. My source of self worth does not come from the banging of a gavel.