PDA

View Full Version : Crabgrass or Dallisgrass ?? I must KILL IT

scott015
06-11-2001, 12:04 PM
My yard is starting to look very good. I have bermuda and it has really taken off this year and is about 5inches thick all throughout. But there are a few patches of this other crap in it. I have heard it called crabgrass or dallisgrass or whatever. It has like a small ball at the root and it spreads out wide....and about 2 days after I mow...it puts out these real tall stems with black seeds on it. How do I kill this? I put some scotts fert. with crabgrass preventer at the begining of spring and that didnt do anything.... It is now time to fert again...what should I buy? Also, I have 1 other real small area that has another type of grass in it that I would like to kill. It almost looks like my bermuda but it is a little darker green and the blades are long and skinny....any help is appreciated/...thanks

KirbysLawn
06-11-2001, 02:11 PM
Try doing your fertilizer in 2 steps next year. MSMA or Drive will take care of the crabgrass, try MSMA first, it's cheaper. The other grass I'm not sure about, would need a photo.

Look here and see if you find the grass: http://www.basfagproducts2.com/weedguide/

scott015
06-11-2001, 02:20 PM
what is msma or drive? is that a brand name of a fert? can i just get it at home depot or any garden shop? will it kill out the crabgrass right now? or is it just a preventer too????

KirbysLawn
06-11-2001, 07:37 PM
Are you a LCO or a homeowner?

osc
06-11-2001, 09:39 PM
Acclaim Extra

David Gretzmier
06-11-2001, 11:32 PM
the weed you are describing sounds like foxtail, and msma at 1 oz. per gallon should kill it selectively in a bermuda lawn, it'll take 2 shots. this better be YOUR lawn, as you need a license in every state to spray it and charge somebody for it. Dave g

scott015
06-12-2001, 09:45 AM
yes this is my lawn, I am a homeowner....but this seems to be the best site I could find to ask questions and actually get replies. Where can I get MSMA? How much does it cost???

KirbysLawn
06-12-2001, 12:22 PM
LEsco, however it may be more affordable to pay a professional to spray. One mistake and your lawn is screwed, if MSMA does not work Drive would be the next option, it's about $90 a bottle. Again, use caaution, one mistake and your lawn is brown...

lawrence stone
06-12-2001, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by scott015
yes this is my lawn, I am a homeowner....but this seems to be the best site I could find to ask questions and actually get replies. Where can I get MSMA? How much does it cost???

This is the main reason I very rarely give any advice anymore.

You don't know if you are replying to a real lco, a homeowner, or
a 15 year old child.

parkwest
06-13-2001, 09:50 AM
I agree with Stone. Shouldn't this be moved? Whatever happened to the idea of requiring everyone when they register to fax a copy of his current liability insurance policy prior to gaining access to the commercial lawn care forum?

CSRA Landscaping
06-13-2001, 10:25 AM
The homeowner assistance forum may be the best place for this. I was wondering how to filter out the non-LCO's from the LCO's. This isn't meant against you, Scott. Also, I think it's probably getting off topic.

I would suggest, if it's something that covers an area almost exclusively (no other grasses in with it) spraying it with roundup, wait a week or so, reseed and fertilize it.

KirbysLawn
06-13-2001, 11:30 AM
Agreed, homeowner asking questions should go here.

Ray

lawrence stone
06-13-2001, 04:07 PM
Kirby give this gentleman the correct information.

But there is a question of sticker shock when he finds out a
quart of the herbicide he needs is going to cost $110.

Now what homeowner is going tho spend $110 on a bottle of
weed juice?

Catcher
06-14-2001, 07:42 AM
The homeowner who doesn't want to spend $ 275.- on a LCO to do it for him ....

Island Lawn
06-14-2001, 08:22 AM
Your Bermuda lawn is 5" thick?
That sounds a bit tall to me.

KirbysLawn
06-19-2001, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by lawrence stone
Kirby give this gentleman the correct information.

I thought I did, was something wrong? I advised MSMA or Drive. I also advised for him to get a pro due to cost of the product.

Originally posted by Catcher
The homeowner who doesn't want to spend $ 275.- on a LCO to do it for him ....

My first question is does the homeowner have the equipment to spray the product correctly? And, like stated above, one mistake and the lawn is brown, MSMA yellows when applied correctly, put too much and yellow turns to brown. Want to take the chance, go for it! And as Island Lawn stated 5" is WAY TOO TALL for Bermuda grass.