PDA

View Full Version : Price check on isle 4

Az Gardener
10-10-2006, 04:40 PM
We just completed 2 small raised planters for a vegetable garden for one of my maintenance clients. We did an 8" deep footing 12" wide. They are identical 15-ft long by 4-ft wide, outside dimensions. Built with 8x8x16's we grouted every other cell and used rebar, sand filled the other cells, capped it with 2" soaps and waterproofed the inside footing to top. We had to get the materials about 80-ft and over a 6 ft fence wall.

We don't do block normally but this is a good client and no one else would come out to bid it. We had 90 hours into this job and I don't want my client to have to pay for on the job training. What is a reasonable cost for this project either in hours or total cost. Thanks in advance for any help from the pro's.

forestfireguy
10-10-2006, 05:49 PM
If you don't want to hurt your client you should cover costs plus a little. Don't take a loss.........

Az Gardener
10-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Thank you for the reply forest guy but I was really looking for some actual numbers that another contractor who does this for a living day in day out would charge.

C'mon fellas, surly someone can give me the going rate for 152 sq ft (surface area) of raised planter out of 8x8x16 and 52Lft.of footer 8"deep and 12"wide. Little help please. Thanks

PaperCutter
10-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Where I used to work in AZ, I seem to remember we got about $30/ SF of face for 8/8/16 block walls with stucco face and tar on the backside. That price included the footer, normal site prep, and cleanup. For the cap, double your cost on the material and ballpark how many LF you can now lay in an hour and price accordingly. Keep in mind, this was over a year ago, and my memory may be a tad fuzzy...

stumpjumper
10-12-2006, 03:37 PM
I would think that the self proclaimed KING OF THE PITAS with your superior genetics and also being wired for success would know what to charge for a job you've already completed. Come on put your giant brain in gear and figure it out, or do you need a parttimer to help you out?

GroundScapesIncorporated
10-12-2006, 03:55 PM
I would ROUGH estimate a decent price to be around $3500

Az Gardener
10-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Thanks for all your help. I think based on the various info I have got 3600 is a fair price. I have gotten # from here and man on the street and the avg. is 3600. I can live with that.

sheshovel
10-13-2006, 12:33 AM
All I am going to say is I woulda gone deeper than 8" for all that construction you went through.
I get $4050.00 Labor alone.

olderthandirt
10-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Why do you feel your client is paying for on the job training? Someone would have had to move the materials over the fence and 80'. Did you have to redo any part of the work or were you just slower because you had never done block before? If you were or suspect you might have been I would give the 10% fudge factor back to the customer and bill my normal hr. rate plus materials. But I would also consider the fence and 80' of wheel barrow pushing before I decided for sure.

Az Gardener
10-13-2006, 12:48 AM
We are slow at bulk labor work, period. Most of what my improvement crew does is detail oriented. Replacing a few dead plants amongst other healthy ones in granite with light wire and poly tubing everywhere. I would rather have it done slow and clean with no other repairs. I just place more emphasis on having employees the clients are at ease with and that are just more cautious. They have not done masonry before beyond small brick edging, repairs etc. They did a real good clean job. I was very impressed nice and straight and square.