PDA

View Full Version : Raised Patio question

DupaMan
10-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Hello....
New to this site, hope someone can help...I'm in the process of building a raised patio. I need to know what is as good base for the retaining wall, because so many people have told me different things. I'll be excavating about 14-15 inches, to allow for 8-9 inch base plus one block being buried. Some have said to use crushed limestone, others 3/4" crusher run, some say 3/4" clear gravel??? seems like everyone has their own secret method of doing things, and I don't want to experiment with methods..I just want a solid patio. My blocks are 8" wide, 6" high, and 10" deep, with built in set back of 7 degrees Including the buried block , the wall will be 4 rows high, backfilled with ??? and then pavers installed. Can some one steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

cedarcroft
10-10-2006, 07:37 PM
a nice compacted RCA base with a thin layer of crushed bluestone for ease of leveling usually works well. there are alot more experienced folks than me on here though. maybe they will give you a better answer.

DupaMan
10-11-2006, 08:54 AM
RCA ? what is this? Do you use the same stuff to backfill? Is 1/4" pea gravel good for backfilling?

mrusk
10-11-2006, 09:14 AM
You want to use modified, quarry process, road base or whatever they call it in your region for the base. It is 3/4 stone all the way down to fines. It compacts the best.

Some people use 3/4 clear stone for the base and swear by it, but i wouldn't use it in most applications.

Do not use stone dust or sand to help level the blocks. Thats one of the worse things to do. After a couple walls you will learn the tricks to get the base so perfect that you won't have to hit any blocks with a mallet to get them level. Well it takes more than just a few walls to get that good.

Matt

Grn Mtn
10-11-2006, 09:22 AM
go to a manufacture website, they will have an installation guide in PDF format for you to print out and follow.

try this one:

http://www.versa-lok.com/homeowner/hInstallTips.htm