PDA

View Full Version : Walker Problem

Metroman
06-11-2001, 01:36 PM
I was using my Walker the other day in some thick grass when the shoot stopped up so i shut the mower down to clean under the deck. When i went to restart the mower it would not start. My ringer will cut on when i turn the key but nothing happens. I've checked my battery at the auto store and it was good, cleaned my termals on the batt. reset my switch. The meter on the mower show 14volts when the ringer sounds but when i turn the key it goes to 0volts. I've tried to check my safety switches but nothing. I think that my other walker did this and it was a wire up under the mower loose, but i cant seem to find it on this one. Please Help!!!!!!

Turfer
06-11-2001, 02:30 PM
The 2 switches that stick on me are the pto engagement switch and the forward speed switch. If mine does not turn over, it's usually one of these 2 that is either stuck or not off.

sdwally
06-11-2001, 08:55 PM
Sounds like a bad electrical connection. Clean your battery terminals with a wire brush and follow the ground cable to the frame or engine and clean that connection. Check all other electrical connections for signs of corrosion.
With no load on the battery your meter will read 12 volts +. We have had battery cables where the corrosion has eaten the wire a good six inches into the cables. When you put the battery under a load(such as starting the engine) you get 0 volts. Make sure to double check all safety switches are working. If battery cables are loaded with corrosion they will be "soft" if you try to bend them.
You can use a multimeter connected at one battery terminal and test the other terminals cable(s) at different points to narrow down where the power lost.
Good luck, sometimes electrical problems can be elusive!

jeffyr
06-12-2001, 07:12 AM
I have had the same two problems as Turfer, the pto engagement switch and the forward speed switch.
Also, double check that it is all the way in neutral. Sounds silly, but that was an embarrasing trip to the dealer.

jeffyr

Metroman
06-12-2001, 10:41 PM
I found the problem!!! After checking all that has been talked about on this post i found it. It's in the wires that run from the key switch to the main wires from the battery. I just know that when i lift the wires up and turn the key it will start. Great theft switch, I'll narrow down the problem when i get caught up.

Thanks for all the help!!!!