PDA

View Full Version : Best Separation Method?

S&M Lawn Care
10-12-2006, 06:35 PM
I am in business with a partner. We are currently servicing on average about 21 lawns a week. We are both 16, and i do all the work when it comes to marketing/bookwork/financial. I know that if i take over the business solo i can take it to the next step it needs to be. We are entering the winter season up here in wisconsin and by next mowing season i would like to be a solo operator. I think i could convince him to just let me take over the business for nothing but im not sure. Any suggestions? One idea would for me to take it over. But for the job he helps me with he gets 50% of gross for that job. Any ideas please? Also by next summer i will be licensed and insured.

P.S. Do you think i should change the name of my business "S & M Lawn Care" for when im solo if the "M" is from his last name? Or should i leave it

Thanks!

richallseasons
10-12-2006, 11:14 PM
is your business set up legally? if so with a partnership you should have defined your seperation clause in the contract between you,or was your business put together with a hand shake?also if it where me I would want to shed the name that you shared and start over with something new and fresh.

Thirdpete
10-16-2006, 08:55 AM
i don't think they're legally old enough to enter into a contract.

but you shouldn't be a d*** and stiff him just because you have no legal obligation. if he doesn't want to do it next year, then it should be yours. if he does, tell him you want out and split equipment and accounts in half.

Josh.S
10-16-2006, 10:44 PM
I am in business with a partner. We are currently servicing on average about 21 lawns a week. We are both 16, and i do all the work when it comes to marketing/bookwork/financial..

When you mow 21 lawns with a buddy how do you have marketing? lol..

P.S. Do you think i should change the name of my business "S & M Lawn Care" for when im solo if the "M" is from his last name? Or should i leave it

If you have marketed your name by mass mailing postcards and flyers, leave the name because in our business (especially if you do mainly residential work) name doesn't matter alot.

If you haven't got your name really out there, I would change it.

As for splitting the accounts, just pay him off a couple hundred bucks and buy his half of the equipment

newz7151
10-17-2006, 12:06 AM

Thanks!

I think you should change from "S&M Lawncare" no matter what. ... unless you're into that sort of thing. No telling what kind of female customers you might end up with down the road.

LB1234
10-17-2006, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't just stiff him. Its not good business practice. IMHO, if he is the one servicing all the accounts and the customers are satisfied that they associate with him, not you. Unless you speak with them often enough and now who is running the show.

Bottom line, I wouldn't burn any bridges. Make him a fair piece offering. Heck when you want to takea day or two off perhaps you can give him a flat fee to work in your absence. just a thought.