PDA

View Full Version : Kubota diesel restart problem

squarewheels
10-15-2006, 06:18 PM
Hi all. I am having an engine restart problem with the 2.2L Kubota diesel in my 7753 Bobcat. Air is entering the injection pump. This occurs when the engine is at full operating temperature and is then shutdown for more than 20 minutes. To restart the engine I must open the bypass valve on the injection pump, and then press the fuel bulb several times. If I do not purge the air, the engine will start for a second or so then die and not restart. The rubber fuel lines are old, not cracked, and do not appear to leak. All hard lines appear to be in good shape. There are no diesel leaks on the outside of the injection pump. Any suggestion as to the cause of this problem is much appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

xcopterdoc
10-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Could be the check valve in the primer bulb. Recheck all lines and return lines. Could also be a leak in the suction line inside the tank on the pick up.

squarewheels
10-15-2006, 07:56 PM
xcopterdoc, thanks for the good suggestions. Will do.

Mike33
10-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Also try replacing your fuel fill cap. I left mine lay one day while fueling and my emplyee picked up a cap in my tool box from a car and put it on. Developed the same problem and had a hell of a time figuring out the problem.
Mike

Digdug
10-15-2006, 08:28 PM
squarewheels- you are losing the prime somewhere. Try spraying starting fluid on all the areas between your injection pump and the end of the hard lines. Do it when the engine is warming up not fully hot, because you say it does it after it cools for 2o mins . I think the leak will be on a metal part somewhere that is tight when the engine is hot and loosens or changes shape as the tempature declines. When the engine revs you have found your air leak. good luck . doug

Dirty Water
10-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Check all the flare fittings on the steel fuel lines to make sure they are tight.

xcopterdoc
10-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Any luck yet??

squarewheels
10-17-2006, 09:59 PM
No luck yet. Fuel cap appears to be stock, o-ring seal is good, and the vent appears to be working. Hard lines are all tight. Soft lines had no loose clamps. I will replace the soft fuel line from the primer bulb to the injector pump with a clear vinyl line... so I can see if air is being feed to the pump.

Have not checked the primer bulb to ensure the one way valve is working. I plan to replace it if I see air bubbles appear in the vinyl line after shutdown. As for the primer bulb -- are diesel fuels bulbs and marine (outboard engine) bulbs interchangable? If not, I'll be making a trip to my friendly Bobcat store.

Again, thanks all for your great support. It is much appreciated.

Gravel Rat
10-18-2006, 02:02 AM
What about the fuel filter it is tight you could be sucking some air or how is the fuel filter when was it changed last ?

How soft is the fuel lines it possible be once they get warm the suck flat.

squarewheels
10-18-2006, 10:29 PM
Hi all,

A quick update -- I installed a clear vinyl fuel line from the filter to the injection pump. Ran the engine, at idle, for about 30 minutes. No air bubbles in the line while running or after shutdown. No restart problems. Either the problem is fixed or I need to bump the 'cat into some berms to shake things up a bit. I've got a job late next week for the Bobcat. I'll let you if it restarts after a hard day of work.

As for the fuel filter -- about 2 months old.
Soft lines -- they do not appear to be collapsing.

And, I really do appreciate the support I have received -- thanks.

Regards,

Steve

Gravel Rat
10-19-2006, 04:10 AM
I also forgot to say the return lines can get air into the system. A old International track loader I worked on had troubles with getting air into the system. What it turned out to be was a hard fuel line that chaffed a real small pin hole into it. It was on the bottom side of the line I couldn't see it but I checked the line running my finger along the line felt a little funny spot sure enough. Replaced the line the problem cured a minor problem caused frustration.

The old IDI International engines in Ford trucks were notorious for air in the system the biggest culprit was the return line system.

Good luck hope fully the air doesn't come back :clapping:

squarewheels
12-07-2006, 02:26 AM
...Could also be a leak in the suction line inside the tank on the pick up.

Nothing like dredging up an old post, but I wanted all to know that the problem has been resolved. It indeed was the fuel pickup line inside the fuel tank. It was cracked. A special thanks to xcopterdoc for your insightfull suggestion.

xcopterdoc
12-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Yur welcome! And thanks for the post letting everyone know what the fix was. Too often there is a post with a problem, people reply and then no more is ever heard. I learn new things every day and see things I havent ever seen. New fixes for new problems and new fixes for old problems!