PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded fall clean ups

Mr Budget
10-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Well here goes another one, more leaves to blow around, tarp up, & haul away, :cry: Tell me am i the only LCO that dreads these clean ups. yea I know they are good money makers,but sometimes i would wish that all i would have to do was mow. Do you think a person that dreads a part of their work field is in the wrong field?

MowerMoney
10-15-2006, 10:27 PM
No. Can't allways love every part of the job.
I hate leaves also. But I am also getting a little tired of constantly cleaning decks and sharpening blades.

naturescape
10-16-2006, 11:27 PM
This is my favorite time of the year for working. EVERYTHING gets mulched with my ExMark 48" TT. So easy, and the lawns improve every year. LCO's just don't get it.......... So be it. I perform 1 - 3 passes and I am OUT OF THERE!

SOMM
10-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Only a B if it's pitchforking wet frozen leaves (a job we'll have if we land in hell, we suppose).

Otherwise with good equipment with gator blades mulching into established turf, and operators with rakes and tarps and various blowers, one's own operation could gross $25-$45 per quarter hour for the inconvenience of delaying good golf, hunting and fishing days this time of year, for this timely endeavour to prevent the layers of wet frozen leaves from replacing their customer's turf.

Your leaf rates need to be way higher than your lawn rates to really pay off.

Ron's Lawncare
10-17-2006, 06:38 AM
this is my favorite time of the year. first is not hot second no trimming. i blow out around the house and beds then suck up everything with my walker. then i dump the walker beside my truck. when i finish i fire up the truck loader and suck up the pile.

robby
10-17-2006, 08:01 AM
This is my favorite time of the year for working. EVERYTHING gets mulched with my ExMark 48" TT. So easy, and the lawns improve every year. LCO's just don't get it.......... So be it. I perform 1 - 3 passes and I am OUT OF THERE!
I'm running the same mower as you and with the same idea. I have ZERO desire to get off the mower to actually gather leaves up and dispose of them. I'd rather run over them a few passes and chop them up and be done with it. It works on most all of my yards and the customers are happy to have them done that way.

Moretta Lawn Care
10-17-2006, 08:09 AM
Yea leaves are a pain... but like eveyone else has said they are good money makers. Just think about it for a min and you realize you hate it because you are not on a mower. You have to walk and work harder then mowing and it gets frustrating. It's only a few weeks outa the year and you can still get some mowing time in. :cool2:

Lovingreen
10-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Customers hate it too, that is why they pay so much to have it done!

Mr Budget
10-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Customers hate it too, that is why they pay so much to have it done!

Yea this must be true, It sounds like i need to invest in some other types of leaf equipment to make it a little more enjoyable.

David Haggerty
10-17-2006, 09:39 AM
If we had the equipment for the side jobs like we have for mowing we'd probably like the side jobs too.
But like my son-in-law told me that's how you become "equipment poor".

I have a leaf mulching kit for the Toro 580-D that I've used a total of once.

Groomer
10-17-2006, 10:16 AM
You guys that are able to mulch everything with the mower are some lucky people! I have properties where that is just not an option, we're talking MAJOR leaf action, they have to be blown into tne woods or tarped and picked up.

Charles
10-17-2006, 10:28 AM
You guys that are able to mulch everything with the mower are some lucky people! I have properties where that is just not an option, we're talking MAJOR leaf action, they have to be blown into tne woods or tarped and picked up.

That what we have--piles and pile of leaves. Customers don't want you to do them weeky or even bi weekly. Most of them want them done once or twice. I have tried mulching these big jobs in the past and you just get piles of mulch and unhappy customers. Huge oak trees make for monster jobs. I do hate and dread leaf season too. Usually most of the leaves blow into the beds and you spend hours blowing them and the bark out. I have never understood why people with large amounts of trees put bark in beds. Impossible to blow out beds without taking the bark with it. I don't do raking:rolleyes:

jcb287
10-17-2006, 10:41 AM
this is my favorite time of the year. first is not hot second no trimming. i blow out around the house and beds then suck up everything with my walker. then i dump the walker beside my truck. when i finish i fire up the truck loader and suck up the pile.

I'm with you Ron,
Its money falling from trees!Can't wait to try out the Cyclone Rake behind the Lazer.payup

mythntr
10-17-2006, 10:52 AM
im with you charles. In my neck of the woods, people want two options, either continue weekly mowing which just consists of sucking up leaves, with a big clean up at the end, or one big cleanup after the leaves have dropped. I try and push the weekly cleanups. Easier for the crews and it takes advantage of the equipment better. We also run the Walkers with the hydro dumps. Just back up to the trucks and press a button.

JFizzle
10-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Oh baby. I'm lookin at this topic in a new light this morning. Last night I got my brand new REDMAX 7001 and cant wait to use it today. Hope it quits raining.

Beau Rivage
10-17-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm with you Ron,
Its money falling from trees!Can't wait to try out the Cyclone Rake behind the Lazer.payup

I just watched the 3 minute vid on their website...it looks amazing. Does it grind them down a lot after the mower blades have hit them or just mainly suck 'em up and pack them in that trailer. (I like the way it dumps too)

tcls83
10-17-2006, 02:14 PM
I find myself liking the cleanup season more year after year. Reason why is because I am more properly equipped for the leaves for the upcoming season compared to the last.

I started out with the tarps, rakes, one Giant Vac, and a weak backpack blower. What I use today completes work much more efficiently, and makes more money. But still, I am not perfectly equipped (probably never will be), there is always something out there that gets things done quicker.

I'm actually anxious though for the time when it's nothing but fall cleanups 6-7 days a week for two months.

Rickco
10-17-2006, 03:06 PM
I just watched the 3 minute vid on their website...it looks amazing. Does it grind them down a lot after the mower blades have hit them or just mainly suck 'em up and pack them in that trailer. (I like the way it dumps too)
I run gator blades and my cyclone,they are chewed up pretty good by this time.Then comes the truck loader. Now I just go dump a big pile of almost dust.:)

The Captain
10-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Ditto what Rickco said.......they really are almost dust when you get through. (Even those big oak leaves.)

Jim

Mr Budget
10-17-2006, 04:30 PM
That what we have--piles and pile of leaves. Customers don't want you to do them weeky or even bi weekly. Most of them want them done once or twice. I have tried mulching these big jobs in the past and you just get piles of mulch and unhappy customers. Huge oak trees make for monster jobs. I do hate and dread leaf season too. Usually most of the leaves blow into the beds and you spend hours blowing them and the bark out. I have never understood why people with large amounts of trees put bark in beds. Impossible to blow out beds without taking the bark with it. I don't do raking:rolleyes:

Thats whats we have here in northern Michigan too, I have found that most of the people want a one time clean up eather blow them into the woods or take them away if they don't have the woods to put them in. it's 2 months of cr*p falling from the trees,yea I know some of you think 2months of $ falling;) I just sick of it, and just to think I get to look forword to it the first thing in the spring too:hammerhead:

rodfather
10-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Leaves and snowflakes...nothing makes me happier when they fall to the ground...cha-ching! :clapping:

K c m
10-17-2006, 04:53 PM
My girlfriend is running the backpack and im on the mower. Fortunatly we just have to get the leaves to the curb. :)

rodfather
10-17-2006, 04:58 PM
My girlfriend is running the backpack and im on the mower. Fortunatly we just have to get the leaves to the curb. :)

glad to see ya got your priorites straight :laugh:

Jpocket
10-17-2006, 05:36 PM

Same here...Mulching leaves around here is a joke. Even bagging later in the fall is not doable. During the peak of leaf saseon it's just Big wheel blowers big backpacks and truck loaders. I vacumm the lawns for the fine stuff after we Finish the the heavy stuff.

naturescape
10-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Same here...Mulching leaves around here is a joke. Even bagging later in the fall is not doable. During the peak of leaf saseon it's just Big wheel blowers big backpacks and truck loaders. I vacumm the lawns for the fine stuff after we Finish the the heavy stuff.

I've mulched what appears to be unbelievable amounts of leaves with no problems and no detriment to the turf. I've mulched piles of leaves a couple feet high that my customers had raked together. Hey guys, keep doing it your way, while I breeze right through my jobs! Have fun!