PDA

View Full Version : Current Skid Steer Subcontractor Rates-Help?

Bob E G
10-16-2006, 09:38 PM
I have a Cat 246, 2 spd, w/ Goodyear rubber tracks. I would like to know what hourly rate I could charge a local CONTRACTOR for machine and operator?

Would you base on an 8 hour day? Travel Time? Do they expect to make money on YOU, or just break even and get their work done?

I want to get the work, but don't want to work for "nothing".

What would be a reasonable rate range in the "midwest"? I was thinking that $70.00/hr would be fair. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

jazak
10-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Around here you would get $70hr easy, I know some that try and get $90hr., but thay also have several attachments for their skidsteers, but above price that most guys will just go rent one for the day.

Green-Pro
10-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Sub contractors around here will get $80 per hour. Billable hours start from the second they touch the gas pedal to leave for the jobsite until they get back from it. Don't worry about the GC he is still making money from using you as a sub.

farmboy555
10-18-2006, 09:21 PM
When I started I charged a 3 hr min. , but now I have a 2 hr mini @ $100. per, if it takes longer the rate drop's to $65. for the rest of the day. Of course for a regular customer & bigger job's you can adjust that. But it work's for me. Dennis

Bob E G
10-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the info, guys! If it EVER stops raining here, I'll be all set!

rutwad
10-19-2006, 06:28 PM
I've heard other people mention windshield time. So with a 4 hr min/ you may only work 3 hrs. if the job is 1 hr. away?

Electra_Glide
10-20-2006, 04:43 PM
I've heard other people mention windshield time. So with a 4 hr min/ you may only work 3 hrs. if the job is 1 hr. away?

You're goin' home when you're done aren't you...:)

With your example, the 4-hour minimum would apply to any job of 2hrs. or less:

1 hour to get there
2 hours of work
1 hour to get home

If you were really doing 3 hours of work, then the bill would be for 5 hours.

Joe

RockSet N' Grade
10-21-2006, 06:44 AM
I run a track hoe service. We are a small company and do the smaller jobs that no one else wants to do. We do alot of travel.
What I have found is that if you do not charge more and do not charge for travel time (in one form or another) you will be working for less than free......in other words, you will go broke real fast and not even know it while it is happening. How you "package" it is up to you.
What you will hear (learn to disregard) is "how come it is so much and it is only an hour of work?" Your expenses doing smaller transport jobs will be higher than a typical job where you spend a full day.....your maintenance on your tow rig, your trailer wear, set-up/take down time will really eat into your bottom line. Charging "port to port" is a good safe concept to start out with. I charge a "transport fee" on top of each job and it is more than my hourly rate......I charge my transport fee even if I have to go to a neighbors just down the street. I have broken down my area into zones and minimum transport fee is $75. My billable time starts from the time I pull up to the job to the time I turn the key on to leave. I have found if I don't do this, even if I put in a full day of work, the per hour dollar figure I end up with is alot lower than what I "should have gotten". There is alot more to it than that, but this should help you to start figuring it out for yourself.

dozerman21
10-21-2006, 09:05 AM
RockSet N' Grade makes some good points. I do the same thing when figuring in your travel/set-up time. You have to figure in everything when you put a bid in on a job. You definetly can't just charge X amount of dollars for the time you will spend running the machine. Don't forget all the other things like insurance, fuel, truck and trailer wear, and tires. They all have to be figured in your estimate. Have you ever seen how much rental companies charge to deliver a machine each way? I'ts expensive and probably a little over the top, but they have to make money for their investment. After paying the driver, and with the overhead from the truck and trailer, there has to be something left. Everyone is in business to try to make money, not break even or lose.