PDA

View Full Version : Big wall failure, pics

sheshovel
10-16-2006, 10:04 PM
This wall has failed before. The 1st time they built it the engineer said it was ok for them to just put it on a gravel base, well it failed. So they poured a footing for it and rebuilt it again.
About 6 months later this happened. All engineered, geogrid installed ect.
They also tried pouring cement slurry into it to stabilize it, you can see that only put more pressure on it. Originaly they were supposed to tier this back in 4 tiers, but they decided to just do 3.
If you ask me, the wall never should have been allowed to be built this high in the first place.
Enjoy!

sheshovel
10-16-2006, 10:05 PM

sheshovel
10-16-2006, 10:07 PM
the geo grid and cement slurry

sheshovel
10-16-2006, 10:08 PM
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

sheshovel
10-16-2006, 10:09 PM
As you can see, it's just a matter of time until the whole base goes.

sheshovel
10-16-2006, 10:11 PM

Sandgropher
10-16-2006, 10:21 PM
That looks pretty dangerous to me, perhaps they should have it roped off??, i guess if the base goes half or all may come tumbling down perhaps??

KrayzKajun
10-16-2006, 10:29 PM
wow!! tht looks like a situation tht is about to get worse

Uranus
10-16-2006, 10:52 PM
I hope you don't get a couple days of rain. You know how that california soil likes to move when you get some heavy rains.

ALarsh
10-16-2006, 10:56 PM
I would pass on that job. :dizzy:

GroundScapesIncorporated
10-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Thats a scary situation.

It seems that SRW keep getting bigger and bigger. I know they are strong but theres a place when you have to say enough is enough.

Mike's All Season Service
10-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Whoever built that thing is insane!!!!:hammerhead: If a little kid is around and that thing decides to give way, Can someone say lawsuit BIGTIME that thing is like an contractors and insurance companies worst Nightmare.

olderthandirt
10-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Hate to be the contractor on that job, he better hope he did everything to specs.

sildoc
10-16-2006, 11:19 PM
That is crazy. We have one here that it 102' and it is completely one section. I am waiting for it to come down all at once.
That is taking someones life for granite. I would definitely shy away from that one.

olderthandirt
10-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Would'nt that be the architects fault and the manufacturers and then the cities for OKing it? As long as the contractor built to every spec on the prints he's not liable. :confused:

Mike33
10-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Where is this wall at ,and what is the real dimensions,
Mike

BSDeality
10-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Come'n Mike, Admit it, you put that wall up! Don't play us for fools :nono: :dancing: :waving:

sheshovel
10-16-2006, 11:39 PM
You guys...I sure as heck am not going to fix it!
Yep, if it goes completely it will fall onto a main highway. I talked to the guy who is the owner of the property below it. He told me they came over onto
16' of his property line when they built the wall, so now he is not allowing them to come onto his property to repair it untill they pay him for the property they took.
He also told me that the wall did not move at all during the rains. It was April/ May/ June when it started to fail both times. When the heat hit the wall the saturated soil behind it began to dry out and THAT's when it failed.
By the way there is NO drainage installed behind any
of the tiers in this wall. They said the wall would self drain.

tthomass
10-16-2006, 11:39 PM
oh my.............

sheshovel
10-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Where is this wall at ,and what is the real dimensions,
Mike
Do you really think I measured this wall? Why do you care where it's at? It's in Coarsegold, Ca.
This is not MY work people. Just thought it you would like to see it so I stopped and took pics. I have been following it's history since I saw them building it. I knew there would be trouble.

sunray
10-16-2006, 11:44 PM
I know you guys love these sbw's but I personally believe in poured concrete ( engineered).
I'm not against new technology , but common sense needs to prevale.
Just because they say it can be built does not always mean it should be built.

RockSet N' Grade
10-16-2006, 11:47 PM
It seems as if the wall is "self draining" already.....except what I think they meant was "self destructing". This looks like a job (since there is no access from the neighbors) that you could use helicopters to demo?

As far as lawsuits go......someone is going to sue any and everyone who was ever involved with that.....names are real easy to type onto a piece of paper for a law suit and everyone is going to contribute....

Where is this SheShovel? My Sis and best buddy live down by Cardiff..

sildoc
10-16-2006, 11:47 PM
You guys...I sure as heck am not going to fix it!
Yep, if it goes completely it will fall onto a main highway. I talked to the guy who is the owner of the property below it. He told me they came over onto
16' of his property line when they built the wall, so now he is not allowing them to come onto his property to repair it untill they pay him for the property they took.
He also told me that the wall did not move at all during the rains. It was April/ May/ June when it started to fail both times. When the heat hit the wall the saturated soil behind it began to dry out and THAT's when it failed.
By the way there is NO drainage installed behind any
of the tiers in this wall. They said the wall would self drain.
Wall must have been built in the winter when the nice clay soil was swelled. No drainage is crazy. Yea you can expect a little self draining but a good set of rain storms on a wall that size would take it to the next dimension.

RockSet N' Grade
10-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Don't think I would reccommend these guys to build me a pyramid in Egypt.

sheshovel
10-16-2006, 11:52 PM
Scary isen't it?

I am by Yosemite National Park.

olderthandirt
10-16-2006, 11:52 PM
Don't blame the contractors they built a wall to a set of prints that said it was OK

sheshovel
10-17-2006, 12:07 AM
That's right, I'd say the engineer is a doofus.

olderthandirt
10-17-2006, 12:15 AM
That's right, I'd say the engineer is a doofus.

I'd say he's gonna be unemployeed :)

kootoomootoo
10-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Throw this one at you .....Did the region have an earth tremor recently? I was in Japan years ago and woke up one night because there was a small (small by japanese standards) earthquake going on. The friggin 15 story building was going up and down about a foot.

insane.

Guess the logic was it was cheaper not to use gravel.

cedarcroft
10-17-2006, 12:34 AM
looks to me like the block itself failed. correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like the faces cracked off and the tails stayed in place. obviously no drainage is the reason for failure either way, but that seems like the manufacturer should take it in the can for that failure. The engineer too.

sheshovel
10-17-2006, 01:21 AM
Well ya know cedarcroft, I was thinking the same thing. But if you look at the wall, it's just not built tight, plus no drainage behind it, and when you add in all the weight those bottom block are being expected to bear. It's a recipe for disaster.

sheshovel
10-17-2006, 01:24 AM
I know it's hard to get an idea of how tall the lower part of it is but it's tall.
See the wall bulge there at the base on the curve?

huh
10-17-2006, 01:38 AM
I know you guys love these sbw's but I personally believe in poured concrete ( engineered).
I'm not against new technology , but common sense needs to prevale.
Just because they say it can be built does not always mean it should be built.

no doubt....people seam to forget what DECORATIVE means these days

and really is it that much cheaper to build all of that haul all of those "stones" and pack all of that fill VS. just pouring and slapping on some facade.....I doubt it....and it is sure as hell not any cheaper to do it 3 times :hammerhead:

unless I guess you do it to "spec" each time and then get repaid to do it again "better" :hammerhead:

huh
10-17-2006, 01:47 AM
for all of the "rules" and "specs" and "codes" and tree hugging California has going on I sure see a TON of poorly engineered crap sliding down hills and otherwise being "engineered" to the point that there is no room for real world realities....not to mention just being built where it should not go

and if that was 16' on to my property I would have a D6 and my scatter gun out there tomorrow taking out 16' of it

sheshovel
10-17-2006, 03:45 AM
Throw this one at you .....Did the region have an earth tremor recently? I was in Japan years ago and woke up one night because there was a small (small by japanese standards) earthquake going on. The friggin 15 story building was going up and down about a foot.

insane.

Guess the logic was it was cheaper not to use gravel.

Nope no earth trembles or quakes lately, no faults near here at all.

noseha
10-17-2006, 07:28 AM
I would pass on that job. :dizzy:

seems like a no brainer

kris
10-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Seems to me that this was not engineered properly.... shame, because it gives SRW's a bad name.

Hard to believe that they aren't all over that, fixing it right away.

yardmanlee
10-17-2006, 08:01 AM
around here we have some walls taller than that and have been standing for 5 yr's so far

Mike33
10-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Do you really think I measured this wall? Why do you care where it's at? It's in Coarsegold, Ca.
This is not MY work people. Just thought it you would like to see it so I stopped and took pics. I have been following it's history since I saw them building it. I knew there would be trouble.
Cant i ask where it is ? just curious didnt say you built it. I also didnt expect you to measure it i thought just looking at it giving a guess of how high it spanned.
Mike

BSDeality
10-17-2006, 11:11 AM
I count roughly 30 courses on the bottom. The block is probably 10" tall? 30x10=300/12 = 25' x 3 tiers = 75'

sheshovel
10-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Seems to me that this was not engineered properly.... shame, because it gives SRW's a bad name.

Hard to believe that they aren't all over that, fixing it right away.
I explained that read the thread.

sheshovel
10-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Cant i ask where it is ? just curious didnt say you built it. I also didnt expect you to measure it i thought just looking at it giving a guess of how high it spanned.
Mike

I answered you read the thread.

DUSTYCEDAR
10-17-2006, 01:51 PM
i have seen some big walls built in my area and some of them are starting to lean and move which with the freeze and thaw we have i thought some would have failed by now but they r still up

Mike33
10-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Come'n Mike, Admit it, you put that wall up! Don't play us for fools :nono: :dancing: :waving:
yea, we threw it up a couple weekends ago. Oops we might have to ram a couple more blocks back in.
Mike

Mike33
10-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Has any one ever had dealings with a problem on a wall that was engineered and he actually was held reponsable? I mean the engineer. I was told once they always have a way of getting away from the problem. Knock on wood i have never yet had a problem or new of any in my area.
Mike

sheshovel
10-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Well I do know that the state and county have to approve the engineers plans. So I am thinking it would be on them. I will try and find out though.

richallseasons
10-17-2006, 08:15 PM
tell me thats a home depot store up on top of this mess ...

Mike33
10-17-2006, 10:36 PM
Well I do know that the state and county have to approve the engineers plans. So I am thinking it would be on them. I will try and find out though.
Thats a good point my county zoning board of couse has an engineer and has to approve all plans. In fact i recived a letter from them today, about a garage im having built by a Pennsylvania contractor. In the letter before i will be given a permit the builer is going to be recquired a heavier truss for snow load than he normally uses. Not much difference and probably dont matter but the bottom line someone actually took the time in the county office to dis approve something that did not seem strucure sound.
Mike

sheshovel
10-18-2006, 01:13 AM
tell me thats a home depot store up on top of this mess ...

Nope a Mini storage that looks like Stalagh13.
Rows of bright lights, chain link fencing, cement. Took a whole hill down to build it. Been on it three years now and they still have so mant violations they may never get to open it.

Sandgropher
10-18-2006, 03:13 AM
dont forget to post pics when it all comes tumbling down :)

I heard once that the concrete was not up to standard in a similar situation.