PDA

View Full Version : When do you start and stop the clock for the Day Laborers?

DutrowLLC
10-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Ok, so this may be a stupid question, but here it is:

Do you start the time clock for Day Laborers when you pick them up or when you arrive at the job site? And do you stop the clock when you leave the job site or when you drop them back off at the 7-11 or where ever?

I'm probably biased, but it seems that since most people expect to get paid when they arrive at work, not for the commute to work, I would start the clock for them when we arrive at the site, only in this case they are getting the added bonus of a free ride.

What is generally the case?

Thanks so much!

Josh.S
10-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Ok, so this may be a stupid question, but here it is:

Do you start the time clock for Day Laborers when you pick them up or when you arrive at the job site? And do you stop the clock when you leave the job site or when you drop them back off at the 7-11 or where ever?

I'm probably biased, but it seems that since most people expect to get paid when they arrive at work, not for the commute to work, I would start the clock for them when we arrive at the site, only in this case they are getting the added bonus of a free ride.

What is generally the case?

Thanks so much!

For the remainder of this year, I am going to continue starting/stopping at the arrival of the job site, and when we leave the job site. Next year I will probably start when we get in the truck to leave, and when we get back... I think this is more fair to the employee...

Would you like it if you drove say.. 20min to work, and then 20 min riding to the job site, that would be 40min 1 way, so if this is the case then 1hr 20min per working day that he was away from home and he didn't get paid for any of it... personally that would upset me unless I was recieving good wages.

If you are making good money and paying your employee's fair I would pay them when they get into your truck to leave, and when they get out to go home..

DBL
10-17-2006, 08:21 PM
i wish it could be when they are working (start job end job) however the employee is away from not working and they are considered at work when they get to the shop to until we get back at the end of the day so thats how our clock runs

huh
10-17-2006, 08:37 PM
I will say this.....all of the illegals I have worked with if you treated them fair or better than fair it more than paid for itself

I would pay from time of pick up to time of drop off....if you have the right ones working for you I think their work would show they know they are being treated well....if you choose to pay starting and ending at the jobsite I think you would be getting new guys each day instead of getting ones you can build with...I would not judge you either way it is up to the laborer to say yes or no to the job and pay offered just make sure it is clear to them from the start when they are getting paid for and when not

Also they have always been more than capable of doing any quality of work just make sure they know what quality you expect.....otherwise look out because work will be getting flied through....quick and quality can go togather, but many are used to working for people who only care about quick and cheap....but that does not mean that is how they have to work for you :)

Green-Pro
10-17-2006, 10:15 PM
My folks are on a salary, works out great for them when it rains all dang day and we do some lite work at the shop, they usually get done early. days we have to pound out 12 or 14 hours it works out great for me.

ALarsh
10-17-2006, 10:25 PM
From when we get in the truck loaded up to when he can leave (unloaded)... You have to pay them for drive time and anytime they are doing something for you.

dKoester
10-17-2006, 11:09 PM
That's correct! Larsh

Jamesgateslandscaping
10-18-2006, 12:14 AM
Time they arrive to the time they leave the shop:cry: :dizzy: ...and I do make sure the time slips are properly kept for them all... Formans know their responsibilities and are very quick, its the younger, less experience guys that can be slow and not catch on quick taht p/o me...
James

DutrowLLC
10-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Reading over these replies, it seems some clarification is in order.

If the laborers were to meet me at my shop location, I would pay them from that time because they have already commuted to work. But they don't, I load everything up in the morning and then go pick them up at the 7-11 which is right around where they live and drive them to the job location. If I could I would have them just meet me at the job location, but since they don't drive, I pick them up and give them a ride.

I'm ok with either way, obviously I would rather pay them once we arrive at the job site, but my priority is to do what is the custom. I don't want to pay them more than I should and I don't want to pay them less than I should. I prefer that it be fair for them and me.

Az Gardener
10-18-2006, 06:13 PM
I agree some clarification is in order.

If you are operating legally you need to pay, by law from the time they are in your truck or the time you tell them to arrive at shop/job site until you drop them off at the end of the day.

If you are operating illegally, well never mind.

vntgrcr
10-18-2006, 08:50 PM
I thought it was pretty clear what you were asking. If YOU have to pick them up, then pay them when you get to the job and when you leave. If they were commuting to your shop, they don't get paid for their commute time. They are helping you out, but you are also making concessions for them by picking them up/dropping off. Pretty simple.

rodfather
10-18-2006, 09:30 PM
I agree some clarification is in order.

If you are operating legally you need to pay, by law from the time they are in your truck or the time you tell them to arrive at shop/job site until you drop them off at the end of the day.

If you are operating illegally, well never mind.

Exactly Dave...wtf is day labor...something you pull off the shelve?:confused:

HOOLIE
10-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Exactly Dave...wtf is day labor...something you pull off the shelve?:confused:

Day Labor Site= Black Market Temp Agency :laugh:

DFW Area Landscaper
10-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Day Labor...That is how all the guys around here are doing it. I see VERY few crews out mowing lawns on Mondays and Tuesdays and by Friday there are three, four and even five man crews all over the place.

I don't even have to ask about that...I KNOW those guys are running complaint factories.

Anytime I've got a new guy in my operation, rest assured, he's out there generating complaints. Gates left open, clippings blown into beds, clippings blown under the garage door cracks, busted sprinkler heads, pool covers run over with mowers, landscape lights damaged, gates damaged, areas of the lawn not mowed...you name the complaint and I have heard it...almost ALWAYS because I had a new guy out there.

The secret to making this business easy is to avoid having new guys. Maybe not the most profitable way to run a business, but it sure makes life a lot easier.

I can just imagine making "Day Labor" part of your normal service offering. But it is how the vast majority of my competitors do it.

Later,
Books Worst Enemy

HOOLIE
10-19-2006, 12:15 AM
pool covers run over with mowers,

HAHA doesn't pertain to this thread but brings back memories of working with some newbie...this dude somehow ran the WB onto a pool cover and was literally over the center of the pool...the customer told me to come out back because my guy needed "help" so I go around back and the guy and the WB were actually bobbing up and down on the cover...the look on the newbie's face was priceless...

Az Gardener
10-19-2006, 08:53 AM
HAHA doesn't pertain to this thread but brings back memories of working with some newbie...this dude somehow ran the WB onto a pool cover and was literally over the center of the pool...the customer told me to come out back because my guy needed "help" so I go around back and the guy and the WB were actually bobbing up and down on the cover...the look on the newbie's face was priceless...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Classic, reality is stranger than fiction. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Woodland
10-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Just a thought, but if your hiring "day laborers" everyday, why not hire someone to show up everyday, put them on payroll, pay taxes and keep everything above board rather than contributing to the ongoing destruction of a middle class in this country - and if by "day laborers" your refereing to illegal aliens then perhaps you check with your attorney as to the laws concerning hiring workers that have no legal right to be employed in this country!

24ON48OFF
10-21-2006, 10:48 PM
I start the clock from the time I pick them up until we are through. It kinda splits the difference.

ozd12005
10-22-2006, 12:15 AM
When they get to the jobsite and when they leave the jobsite

Jeff_BriggsMML
10-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Just a thought, but if your hiring "day laborers" everyday, why not hire someone to show up everyday, put them on payroll, pay taxes and keep everything above board rather than contributing to the ongoing destruction of a middle class in this country - and if by "day laborers" your refereing to illegal aliens then perhaps you check with your attorney as to the laws concerning hiring workers that have no legal right to be employed in this country!

Well Said

georgiagrass
11-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Geoff: Be careful using a salary to compensate employees who are not exempt. You are still required to keep records of all hours worked for every employee and to pay time and one half for all hours over forty in a work week. Paying a salary does not allow you to avoid those obligations.

scott's turf
11-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Geoff: Be careful using a salary to compensate employees who are not exempt. You are still required to keep records of all hours worked for every employee and to pay time and one half for all hours over forty in a work week. Paying a salary does not allow you to avoid those obligations.

What classifies a non exempt employee? Can I pay a foreman a straight salary with no overtime?

lawnmaster2
11-03-2006, 09:09 PM
I pay my guys by the day. for instance 75-95 dollars a day. seems to work out pretty good. My head guy makes more. I don't have to worry bout overtime and all that.