PDA

View Full Version : Flagstone Patio we just finished

JimLewis
10-18-2006, 04:30 AM
Here are some pics I took today of a flagstone patio we just completed this week. Comments?

And what do you all think of the picture with Fernando in the picture. Good idea or not? I've never done that before. But he was there so I said, "Hey, why don't you hop in the picture. You freakin' built this. Might as well take some of the credit." Do you think having him in that one picture is unprofessional or a bad idea for any reason?

Here's the link;

http://www.lewislandscape.com/photos/gallery/Flagstone-Patio

kris
10-18-2006, 08:29 AM
I think it is a good Idea ... perhaps have had him working instead of sitting though.

TPnTX
10-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Hey jim is that using the fill material you spoke of?

I don't think having fernado there does any harm. If it made him feel good, even better.

JimLewis
10-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Yah, that's EnviroStone (by Envirobond). Great stuff! I friggin' love it. Been using that stuff for about a year and a half now and it's been great.

Surf'n'Turf
10-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Yah, that's EnviroStone (by Envirobond). Great stuff! I friggin' love it. Been using that stuff for about a year and a half now and it's been great.

What is that, Jim? Hard to tell by the pics, but looks similar to stone dust, common here in NJ. BTW, Fernando did good...looks nice.

mrusk
10-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Personally i don't think it looks all that good. Mainly i feel the joints look to big. I would of chiseled the peices more to make them fit together tighter. Thats how i like it.

All that matters is what your customer thinks, not some landscaper from nj!

Matt

kootoomootoo
10-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Did someone forget the chisel and saw that week?

tthomass
10-18-2006, 10:02 PM
my customers have always liked it very tight and i usually end up cutting a lot............just as example, say 3 of 4 sides i would end up cutting

it depends on the customer though, some like it bigger (moss) and some don't, just depends

other than spacing preference it looks to have been laid well

Redbear
10-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Jim, are you using the envirobond product to set the stone in as well as for the joints or just using it for jointing in the end?

JimLewis
10-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Did someone forget the chisel and saw that week?

Yah, well, I'm not a freakin' stone mason. And my guys aren't either. We don't do masonry work. And we don't chisel or cut flagstones. This type of flagstone patio is the very common these parts.

Regardless, I make it very clear to our clients how their flagstone patio is going to look when we are finished. I show them pictures. I explain that if they want the nice cut and chisled look, they can call a stone mason. I even offer them some business cards from some local stone masons if they seem interested in going that route. I explain the differences between the different kinds of flagstone patios to them. I explain the benefits of having one precision cut and mortared in by a stone mason. But I also explain that that kind of flagstone patio will cost them 2-3x as much as the kind we install. And I explain that ours are going to have larger joints and I go into detail explaining how our joint compound works as well (Envirobond). Throughout the entire process, the customer has full choice and disclosure. Sometimes they chose to go the stone mason route and have it done that way. But often times this kind of flagstone patio is exactly what they are looking for AND it's the only option because the stone mason patio isn't within their budget.

JimLewis
10-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Jim, are you using the envirobond product to set the stone in as well as for the joints or just using it for jointing in the end?

We set it on compacted gravel (1/4" minus) and then we just use the envirobond to fill in the joints only.

I always explain to people that our patios are kind of a hybrid between a dry-laid and gravel jointed patio and a nice mortared in patio. It won't be quite as nice as the mortared patio. But with the joint stabilizer it will be a whole lot nicer than a flagstone patio with loose gravel in the joints. And that's what most people are used to. That's what's most common around here. But people get sick of constantly having to sweep or blow the gravel off of the flagstone. The joint stabilizer solves that problem and also makes the flagstones more stable.

sheshovel
10-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Well I don't care for the little pieces he set in ther. Better to scoot some closer together and add a few larger stones tp take up the slack.
Other than that I think it is very nice.