PDA

View Full Version : best way of Finding a new foreman

smarino21
10-18-2006, 11:58 AM
I need to find a new foreman i dont know whats the best way to get a hispanic foreman. Do you guys have any ways that have worked in the past.

MWHC
10-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Generally, you mold them or make them yourself. Good luck just "finding" one. The people we have apply don't know left from right on a good day. You will see it time and again on this board. When you find a good worker/foreman bend over backward to keep them.

Lawnworks
10-18-2006, 09:37 PM
You have to have hispanic contacts. The more the better. I usually keep in touch w/ the guys that are not in working for me anymore just so I can call and get their friends/family to work.

Az Gardener
10-19-2006, 08:59 AM
There are no shortcuts if this were easy everyone would be doing it.

The best way is to hire well, then train them well. Then you will end up with good foremen. If you are able to snag someone else's foreman how long do you think he will stay? I will tell you, until some other desperate owner offers him a nickle more.

No way to build a business.

huh
10-19-2006, 09:35 AM
boy I am not sure if I can describe in words what I would look for...I speak Spanish pretty decent so that is a big benefit as well

really the fresher the better if you can communicate with them to train them

I don't know how to describe it (especially in a "PC" way) but I can kinda know a good one when I see them

attitude is one thing....if they seam to be "too smart" they are probably shady....you DEFINATELY want to listen to their thoughts on things, but the shady ones will be agressive to show you "how they are going to do it" the good ones will listen to you and then try and show you how they might think something could be done with less sweat

they ALL like to look at the girls....but steer clear of the ones that glare or are an ass about it

keep away from the ones that are "ladies men"

keep away from the ones that have more than 1 piece of jewelry on

look for the ones that look......ah well...ah "Mexican".....not trying to be gringoed out

look for the ones that have a lil saddle hanging from their rearview mirror :laugh: ....they are a "ranchero" and have worked hard for nothing

the further south they come from the better.....south of Monterrey for sure "Nortenos" have an idea to be "el jefe" too soon

ones that look real cowboyed out with creases in their jeans and a cowboy hat should work well

32+ for a foreman would probably be good...Mexicans have a respect for age

quiet is better....ones running their mouths or "running the group" are just that.....running something....you probably dont want any part of it

hope that helped :laugh: :)

huh
10-19-2006, 09:47 AM
to actually "find" one go to a Mexican grocery store....watch them for an hour or two to see how Mexicans act.....then wait until you see a few that look good and just walk up and ask them if they are looking for work...or a freind is

or if you have a labor corner go there and look for the ones that look like they are prepared to work ALL DAY LONG with a lunch in their plastic walmart bag (lunch should have some piece of fruit in it and something in a CORN tortilla probably covered in chili powder) and a hat on and their CLEAN shirt tucked in with a belt on and work boots...if their cloths look like they bought them at "la pulga" (the flea market) that is WAY better....it means they are not getting gringoed out......I always laughed when the ones I worked with had on frat and sorority party shirts on :laugh: :laugh:

NEVER ASK THEM IF THEY KNOW HOW TO DO SOMETHING.....ask them what they know how to do....obviously try not to go there in a truck full of mowers because THEY ALL CAN CUT GRASS.....and lay bricks....and frame a house and......

Lawnworks
10-19-2006, 09:52 AM
boy I am not sure if I can describe in words what I would look for...I speak Spanish pretty decent so that is a big benefit as well

really the fresher the better if you can communicate with them to train them

I don't know how to describe it (especially in a "PC" way) but I can kinda know a good one when I see them

attitude is one thing....if they seam to be "too smart" they are probably shady....you DEFINATELY want to listen to their thoughts on things, but the shady ones will be agressive to show you "how they are going to do it" the good ones will listen to you and then try and show you how they might think something could be done with less sweat

they ALL like to look at the girls....but steer clear of the ones that glare or are an ass about it

keep away from the ones that are "ladies men"

keep away from the ones that have more than 1 piece of jewelry on

look for the ones that look......ah well...ah "Mexican".....not trying to be gringoed out

look for the ones that have a lil saddle hanging from their rearview mirror :laugh: ....they are a "ranchero" and have worked hard for nothing

the further south they come from the better.....south of Monterrey for sure "Nortenos" have an idea to be "el jefe" too soon

ones that look real cowboyed out with creases in their jeans and a cowboy hat should work well

32+ for a foreman would probably be good...Mexicans have a respect for age

quiet is better....ones running their mouths or "running the group" are just that.....running something....you probably dont want any part of it

hope that helped :laugh: :)

lol... how many hispanics do you have working for you? Sounds like excellent advise to me. You mentioned being PC... I don't know about you but I get sick of all that crap and all generalizations..."work cheap", "stealing", "dirty mexicans". Turns out in my experience none of this true for my guys. And I hate when some ****** jumps on you about saying "my mexicans", but it is perfectly ok to say "my guys"... same thing!!

It seems like the guys that you train from the nothing tend to be the best guys. And also the greener the better! It takes alot of time, but it is usually better if you pay them what they are worth. I would not want anybody over 40 for a crew leader if they doing labor intensive work. The younger guys work like crazy.

huh
10-19-2006, 09:56 AM
I dont have any right now Im not "in the business as of yet"

but I was a greenhouse grower for 3+ years and all of the crews at the 2 different places were Mexican

I have worked in viticulture for the last 4 years and most of the pruning and harvest crews are Mexican

and I went to H.S. for 3 years in San Antonio

so it all adds up

smarino21
10-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks but the mexican grocery store was great.