PDA

View Full Version : Paver And Wall Base Material

EagleLandscape
10-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here.
I'm building a belgard wall and paver sidewalk here in a few weeks and just wanted to check and see what yall suggested for base materials. thanks! the wall will be a max height of 3 feet, so not very big.

neversatisfiedj
10-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Road base (crusher run)aggregate as usual. Cr-6 or 8 here in MD.

landscapingpoolguy
10-19-2006, 09:34 PM
QP (quarry process) or RCA (recycled concrete aggregate)

EagleLandscape
10-20-2006, 11:50 AM
for the base of the wall, correct? and then a sand based material atop the crushed concrete for the pavers?

landscapingpoolguy
10-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Yes, if the wall is free standing RCA or QP is fine, I generally like to use 3/4 clean compacted under all walls that have drainage behind them. My installers like to use a little stone dust under the walls blocks to help with leveling also. Its less then an inch under a wall block.

EagleLandscape
10-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Awesome, how much of a base do I need to put under the wall courses? I'm using Belgard Celtik Wall blocks. 90% of the wall will be about 1.5-2' tall. About 10 linear feet will be 3' or a little less. ALl will have pavers inside the wall for walking areas/patio/etc.

landscapingpoolguy
10-20-2006, 01:02 PM
4 to 6 inch machine compacted

GreenMonster
10-20-2006, 02:59 PM
I'd be careful using any sand or stonedust as a means of tweaking the base wallstones, especially if you use 3/4" clean stone. The fines can move into the stone and you'll end up losing the level on the base course.

landscapingpoolguy
10-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I'd be careful using any sand or stonedust as a means of tweaking the base wallstones, especially if you use 3/4" clean stone. The fines can move into the stone and you'll end up losing the level on the base course.

Yea i know i have them compact teh base then throw a very think layer of dust compact that then then start leveling really its like a 1/2 of sand. Im really kinda anal when it come to walls. I have an engineered job were startin next week.

AztlanLC
10-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Just make sure you excavate until you find virgin soil if it's clay go thicker on the base, around our area we use item 4, which is pretty much what some have suggested.
I have try many aproaches for setting the fisrt base course and the best 2 ares mix 1 part portland with 3 parts stone dust or sand and sprinkle very light (dry), or make it wet and apply about -3/4" it works pretty good for me.
For paver I use the same item 4 but the last inch I use 3/8 or 1/4 gravel.