PDA

View Full Version : Front Cover Misleading

Shawns Lawns
10-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Got October's Turf Mag today and once again you think there will be some info based on the picture on the front cover but NOT. Why do they show a picture like the one with a LCO using a backpack blower but then no Cover Story or comparison or ratings or anything?:waving:

grass_cuttin_fool
10-20-2006, 08:08 AM
I quess its fall of the year now and leaf removal is the main focus or will soon be of most LCO

wayne

TurfEditor
10-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Hey Shawns Lawns -

We look for nice images that make an attractive cover. We do not try to match up with topics presented editorially in that issue. If we have a good photo that does go with a story we'll use it, but we usually don't match at all.

Since you already know what our cover policy is (since you say ". . . once again you think. . . " I assume you have already run into this and are aware that's what we do), I would suggest you appreciate the cover for what it is -- a nice wrapper, and (hopefully)an enticement to put us at the top of your reading pile -- and reserve your excitement for the perusal of the Table of Contents. :clapping:

Thanks for reading

David
Exec. Editor

Shawns Lawns
10-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Hey Shawns Lawns -

We look for nice images that make an attractive cover. We do not try to match up with topics presented editorially in that issue. If we have a good photo that does go with a story we'll use it, but we usually don't match at all.

Since you already know what our cover policy is (since you say ". . . once again you think. . . " I assume you have already run into this and are aware that's what we do), I would suggest you appreciate the cover for what it is -- a nice wrapper, and (hopefully)an enticement to put us at the top of your reading pile -- and reserve your excitement for the perusal of the Table of Contents. :clapping:

Thanks for reading

David
Exec. Editor

Your welcome and i will continue to read your mag. I can appreciate your cover for what it is (and what it is, is just a cover) i would just like to challenge you to explore other opportunities. After settling in my comfortable chair to read your Table of Contents i was hypnotized for about 15 seconds. Thanks for a great afternoon and keep up the great work. I look forward to each month's mag and it is always at the top of the pile.:waving:

Stillwater
01-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Hey Shawns Lawns -

Thanks for reading

David
Exec. Editor

I understand and respect your reply about your unrelated covers. But you would be surprised at how many people are offended by this. The word misleading comes to mind, it also shows a lack of confidence you have in your internal content of your publication. Weather my statement is true or not it does not change this fact that you still appear to be lacking confidence.

JB1
01-20-2007, 10:24 AM
dude, its a free magazine, be happy.

prizeprop
01-20-2007, 11:13 AM
BEGGERS SHOULDNT BE CHOOSEY!! No disrespect, but come on its free. I'm sure you could spend $5 and get a column that matches the cover.

Stillwater
01-20-2007, 02:20 PM
You guys do in fact have a good point the mag is free. I humbely stand aside.

Shawns Lawns
01-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Yes a punch in the face could also be free does not mean you will take one every month:waving:

Shawns Lawns
01-21-2007, 08:08 AM
BEGGERS SHOULDNT BE CHOOSEY!! No disrespect, but come on its free. I'm sure you could spend $5 and get a column that matches the cover.

Nobody is begging and no one is choosing we were suggesting.:waving:

TurfEditor
01-23-2007, 04:25 PM
We appreciate hearing your opinions, and believe me when I say that we don't take them lightly.

But "Offended?" By a magazine cover? Really?
Wow. I wish I had that much free time. :laugh:

I have no idea what "lacking in confidence" in our "internal content" means, but I'm sure that we don't . .. eh . . . lack confidence. :rolleyes:

We're not the only magazine in the world that sometimes just puts a pretty picture on the cover. If we held to a strict policy of always and only having covers that were directly related to a story in the magazine, we'd end up with lots of lame looking covers --- like some of the other magazines. ;)

David C.

Big Bad Bob
01-28-2007, 03:28 AM
Yes a punch in the face could also be free does not mean you will take one every month:waving:

what kind of analogy is that? a punch in the face compared to a turf magazine cover????????????

Charles
01-28-2007, 08:16 AM
what kind of analogy is that? a punch in the face compared to a turf magazine cover????????????

Perhaps, we need to add a "Therepy" section to the forum. Maybe get Dr. Phil to volunteer his services.:laugh:

Shawns Lawns
01-28-2007, 01:45 PM

They are both FREE :waving:

Big Bad Bob
01-28-2007, 07:03 PM

righteeeeeeo. :laugh:

lawnaggie
06-02-2007, 09:49 AM
This was an interesting thread. I don't think any suggestions should be taken the wrong way. The Magazine is great, and very informative. If there are ever suggestions to it, I think they should always be welcomed. Having a photo on cover with an associated article, was a great idea, but as mentioned, perhaps not feasible.

americanlawn
06-05-2007, 06:50 PM
I would like to see more comparisons of equipment and products (field tests) in all green industry magazines (they already have the nice photos), but I realize this costs money. University trials are helpful, but they rarely stick their neck out promoting any product or equipment, and their research if too confusing. I guess that's why I often rely on Lawnsite.com's members.

elmo1537
06-05-2007, 11:17 PM

Dude you have way to much time on your hands.

fiveoboy01
06-06-2007, 11:57 PM
I've noticed that too, don't really care.

I did find it odd that the issue a couple months ago, the cover trumpeted a review of the Everride Warroir yet there was a picture of a Hornet on the cover:)