PDA

View Full Version : :help: I got a question on wood behind a retaining wall

silvercvic
10-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Hello all, I just joined yesterday, but I've been following some post and this site got a hoard of information (great stuff). So now I am need of some professional help, I do all these project as a DIYer so please bear with my negligence.

So I built a semi-short retaining wall about 2.5' high out of cinder block and veneered with flagstone and slated on top along the front of my house...phase I is almost finished! Phase II, I just finished engineering the drainage for hydrostatic pressure and I'm starting to plan on landscaping for phase III. Now my problem is the wall rises slightly above the bottom portion of my box/bay window, I was planning on filling the wall with soil and landscaping with some plants. The wall from the base of the box/bay window is about 3.5', about 2' off the ground, and the width of the box/bay is about 10'. If I were to fill that entire section with soil and mulch up top, the area below the window would be buried in soil and the wood would be sitting about 4" deep of soil/mulch.

Is there anything I can do to prevent wood rot? or future insect problems? or any future problems. Under the window area, I have a 4" perforated PVC drainage pipe and I was planning on filling that area with gravel and painting the wood with some good oil paint. I was told that the paint would on be good for 3-4 years before damage starts and that my county requires that wood should be at least a couple of inches away from soil to allow air to flow properly.
My last alternative would be to build a smaller wall about 4" away from the wood and act somewhat like a huge cement (window)well.

Any alternative suggestions, my back is already killing me from the huge wall and I believe my wife is about to strangle me if I don't finish soon. I want to finish this fast and easy.

Thanks all

EagleLandscape
10-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Post a picture. If you have a slab foundation, you definately don't want any soil over the foundation level. No if-ands-or-buts about that one.

silvercvic
10-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Here are some pics:

The first three is as of today, the fourth is a pic of what is was when I bought the house

landscapingpoolguy
10-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Here are some pics:

The first three is as of today, the fourth is a pic of what is was when I bought the house

Fill under the window with 3/4 clean so all water will drain away. Flash any wood that will come in contact with mulch or topsoil. Use landscap fabric to seperate the 3/4 from the soil/ mulch

silvercvic
10-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Is 3/4 clean the same as 57#?

Flash any wood that will come in contact with mulch or topsoil

Excuse my experience, but what is 'flash'

So far the idea is better than building that little wall inside the retaining wall. Will the 3/4 clean drain the water properly? I have the 4" perforated pipe by the wall under window, also if I were to do this, should I keep an air space between the wood and stone..say 2" and separate with a piece of slate/border
-or-
build the rocks up to the wood (level with the top of the retaining wall) and place decorative cobblestone around the window and separated with a piece of slate/border

EagleLandscape
10-21-2006, 01:09 AM
No, don't do that. First off you do have a problem, and that is you built the wall too tall. I would suggest redoing it, but I doubt that is going to happen. I would bring soil level right below the slab line and then to add some plants at the front that will cascade over the edge, ie: trailer rosemary, lantana, mexican heather, yada yada. That will probably be the best solution.

landscapingpoolguy
10-21-2006, 08:53 AM
aluminum flashing

Mike33
10-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Is 3/4 clean the same as 57#?

Excuse my experience, but what is 'flash'

So far the idea is better than building that little wall inside the retaining wall. Will the 3/4 clean drain the water properly? I have the 4" perforated pipe by the wall under window, also if I were to do this, should I keep an air space between the wood and stone..say 2" and separate with a piece of slate/border
-or-
build the rocks up to the wood (level with the top of the retaining wall) and place decorative cobblestone around the window and separated with a piece of slate/border
yes, its the same
mike