PDA

View Full Version : My favorite job this year

GreenMonster
10-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Sometimes, it's some of the basic stuff that does the most for a place.

It was a pretty basic walkway, and we put in some mature plants to make this place look like the landscape wasn't new. Those are moonbeam junipers, newport plum, dense yews, endless summer's, red leaf sandcherry and wine & roses weigela

For some reason, I think this just came out real nice (and I'm never satisfied), and it ended up being one of my favorite end result installs of the year -- even if the homeowner did complain about us repairing the lawn that we damaged. :confused:

It's Techo Elena in Sandlewood

BMFD92
10-20-2006, 04:40 PM
thats quite a difference and looks real good. did you use that bobcat for all the prep work and stuff. how well do those machines do?

kaig
10-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Looking real nice, like all of your work ;)

May I ask about the cost of materials, hardscape and plants?

Green-Pro
10-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Graet work as usual Mark, really enjoy when you post pics. Do you still find time for lawn maintenance & can ya still throw down some stripes? LOL!!

GreenMonster
10-20-2006, 07:41 PM
thats quite a difference and looks real good. did you use that bobcat for all the prep work and stuff. how well do those machines do?

The excavation/installation was done with the T190 and/or the MT52. Both machines are decent, and I have complaints with both as well

Looking real nice, like all of your work ;)

May I ask about the cost of materials, hardscape and plants?

The total installation cost was 7-8k. I don't remeber exactly.

Graet work as usual Mark, really enjoy when you post pics. Do you still find time for lawn maintenance & can ya still throw down some stripes? LOL!!

Thanks. We do lawn maintenance, but I haven't been on a mower in months. Every once in a while, I'll jump on one and do my own lawn. Course, all I know how to do know is tear the turf, leave tall strips, and when I'm done, it looks like I chased a snake. :D

lawncare18
10-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Great work as always mark... hows the weather holding up there for ya?? been real rainy down here..you ready for snow or dont you plow??

Ideal Lwns & Landscp
10-20-2006, 10:20 PM
I don't know if it's just me but the colors of mulch and materials make a job so much nicer sometimes..Awesome job!!!

mrusk
10-21-2006, 08:11 AM
After seeing pictures of finished walkways with new plantings it makes me think i am loosing alot of money only doing hardscapes. I think i am going to invest alot of time this winter into learning about plants.

Matt

John Gamba
10-21-2006, 08:49 AM
very nice install and design. i'll be in keen today for the pumpkin fest. see you there:waving:

MarcusLndscp
10-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Hey there my friend!
That's a sweet looking walkway! Not bad for a rookie! We need to get together and chat about weekend activities....I'm really enjoying having all the wedding plans in the past. Now we just need to do all the darned thank you's...hopefully she does all that!!!:)
Give me a ring when you actually have decent service on that junk cell phone you have!

GreenMonster
10-21-2006, 06:33 PM
After seeing pictures of finished walkways with new plantings it makes me think i am loosing alot of money only doing hardscapes. I think i am going to invest alot of time this winter into learning about plants.

Matt

I think you're right, Matt. This planting was approaching 1/2 the job cost. Some of our best margins we get with plantings. HUGE opportunity to upsell, plus you're already automated... get yourself an auger and make it EXTREMELY effecient.

very nice install and design. i'll be in keen today for the pumpkin fest. see you there:waving:

Thanks, John. Keene is on the other side of the state, so I won't be there, but have fun.

Hey there my friend!
That's a sweet looking walkway! Not bad for a rookie! We need to get together and chat about weekend activities....I'm really enjoying having all the wedding plans in the past. Now we just need to do all the darned thank you's...hopefully she does all that!!!:)
Give me a ring when you actually have decent service on that junk cell phone you have!

Ya, new cell hopefully by Tuesday. I hope nextel ends up being better than the lousy Verizon service I've had lately. The only weekend plans you need to be thinking about is that friggin' veneer job I told you about!

BTW, you don't need to thank me, just send me my money back.

MarcusLndscp
10-21-2006, 06:51 PM
I wish I could give your money back Mark but I'm positive that it now resides in Mexico in the form of pesos. It either bought us some mexican souvenier, tequilla, a boat trip, horseback riding (which was awful!!!), spa treatments, enchiladas, tacos, parasailing rides, taxi rides, or something along those lines. Sorry buddy!

GreenMonster
10-21-2006, 09:50 PM
I wish I could give your money back Mark but I'm positive that it now resides in Mexico in the form of pesos. It either bought us some mexican souvenier, tequilla, a boat trip, horseback riding (which was awful!!!), spa treatments, enchiladas, tacos, parasailing rides, taxi rides, or something along those lines. Sorry buddy!

as long as it contributed to drunkeness or hot newlywed sex.... or both, it was money well spent.:clapping:

BTW, I coulda told you not to try horseback riding, although you should have been smart enough to figure that our on your own.:hammerhead:

John Gamba
10-22-2006, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=GreenMonster]

Thanks, John. Keene is on the other side of the state, so I won't be there, but have fun.

You should have gone:waving:

zedosix
12-24-2006, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE=GreenMonster]The excavation/installation was done with the T190 and/or the MT52. Both machines are decent, and I have complaints with both as well

Hey Mark could you follow up on what you don't like about the t190.

zed

GreenMonster
12-24-2006, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=GreenMonster]The excavation/installation was done with the T190 and/or the MT52. Both machines are decent, and I have complaints with both as well

Hey Mark could you follow up on what you don't like about the t190.

zed

The feel of the machine vs. say, an ASV is a little clunky. Cab windows rattle quite a bit, and I think it is slightly underpowered. I bought it used and had a few steering issues over the summer that were eventually remedied. It was one of those things that really got me aggravated, because it took the dealer three times to fix properly. The new loaders do have an extra roller to make the ride a little smoother, and my dealer says they are tinkering with a shock system for the undercarriage. He thought it might be on the 2008's.

Overall, I like it, and would add another one if needed. T250 would be nice :)

John Gamba
12-24-2006, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=zedosix]

The feel of the machine vs. say, an ASV is a little clunky. Cab windows rattle quite a bit, and I think it is slightly underpowered. I bought it used and had a few steering issues over the summer that were eventually remedied. It was one of those things that really got me aggravated, because it took the dealer three times to fix properly. The new loaders do have an extra roller to make the ride a little smoother, and my dealer says they are tinkering with a shock system for the undercarriage. He thought it might be on the 2008's.

Overall, I like it, and would add another one if needed. T250 would be nice :)

Merry Christmas Mark :waving:

GreenMonster
12-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night :)

Mike33
12-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Another nice looking job mark, very attractive. Maybe this year ill have you come down to Md. to do some paver work at my new house.
Mike

GreenMonster
12-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Another nice looking job mark, very attractive. Maybe this year ill have you come down to Md. to do some paver work at my new house.
Mike

We're fairly reasonable Mike, but the travel costs will kill ya. :)

Seriously, Mike, I would think you're missing out on a huge revenue source by not offering flatwork. If you can do walls, you can do walks & patios.

cedarcroft
12-26-2006, 06:30 AM
I am with Mike on the no flatwork thing. I have done some nice walls and have gotten pretty good at them. But for some reason I have a mental block about doing pavers. This week I am doing a flagstone patio and I have done small (100sq ft) paver areas, but in general, I sub out paver and brick work. I fear the flat work!!

MarcusLndscp
12-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Seriously, Mike, I would think you're missing out on a huge revenue source by not offering flatwork. If you can do walls, you can do walks & patios.

Seriously....if Mark can do walks and patios ANYBODY can!!! It doesn't take much for most living creatures to pass his level of inteligence!!!!

Mark, where's my pooh bear pillow?

Happy holidays!

GreenMonster
12-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Seriously....if Mark can do walks and patios ANYBODY can!!! It doesn't take much for most living creatures to pass his level of inteligence!!!!

Mark, where's my pooh bear pillow?

Happy holidays!

Exactly. If a dumb bastard like me can do this, anyone can.

You guys are willing to do walls, which arguably have the most liability potential of any landscape facet, but you won't touch flatwork?!?! Trust me, go for it, and thank me in 07.

Um, Marcus. You ignored the ransom notes, so now, let's just say Pooh Bear is no longer stuffed with fluff.

Mike33
12-26-2006, 08:01 PM
What would be the best way to get started? I have a geeneral idea, and been kicking it just to broaden my range. The main reason is im a small company and stay busy with what i do is the reason i havent taken them on. We had the largest land. cont whom employed around 40 guys to retire and auctioned his equiptment off last sept. Now a couple of his idiots statred in business real cheap un licened getting a lot of work. That could affect me in 07 we area small area.
Mike

GreenMonster
12-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Mike, you said you're done for the year, and you have a new house? I would think it would be a great time for you to go grab a pallet or so of pavers, and toss in a walkway. You already have most of the tools you need from your wall business. What you don't have, you can get away with something else for now, such as a 2x4 for a screed board, cut off saw for cuts (maybe you have a table saw?)

In a nutshell, install 6" CBR base (1/4" pitch per foot), screed 1" of concrete sand using 1" emt, lay pavers, compact. Don't forget edge restraint and poly sand. I'm sure your AB dealer sells pavers too and can get you instructional manual from one of the manufacturers.

There is no doubt in my mind that with the walls you've done, you can easily do pavers as well.

Mike33
12-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks Mark for the kind words, but my new house will start construction around end of Feb. beg. March. It should be done 5-6 months just in time for a fall lawn install. I was thinking a raised patio onmy back side with pavers. I wont need any walls since my property just has enough fall for good drainage.
Yes i think i could pull it off i basicly know the basics, i figure where people like your self comes alive is on patterns, turns, etc.
Mike

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
01-02-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm new to the paver arena, but I'm going to do A LOT more patios than walls this year.I use to be scared to death of pavers. I'd rather do patios now than walls so hopefully the ICPI seminar will help sell some patios to go along with my ponds. I'm sure the patios will sell before the waterfeatures. So many new homes without any type of patio.:)

mrusk
01-02-2007, 10:06 PM
My second year in business just ended. My first year i was 75% walls, 25% pavers. I was thinking i just wanted to do walls. Well this year err last year i did two walls in the being of the year and then i did not touch a block for the rest of the year. I just did flat work. At first i was nervous, but i got the hang of it real quick.

The trick to doing good work in any feild is know what a good job is suppost to look like when its done and acctually giving a crap about what your job looks like when you leave.

Matt

Duekster
01-02-2007, 10:12 PM
:clapping:

Nice

neversatisfiedj
01-03-2007, 07:08 AM
Hey Mike go for it. I have seen your work. I started out the first year doing only walls. As stated more liability and in my case LESS profit than flatwork. goto www.icpi.org and read up. get ICPI certification.

--Josh

mrusk
01-03-2007, 09:35 AM
^^^Thats funny. I still end up making alot more money on most walls compared to flat work. I'll be honest, my flat work comes out great. No dips or high spots. Great curves, no choppy cuts. But i am slowww. I guess speed comes with time. I've only been doing this 2 years, but i've done some big jobs so far.

Matt

Team-Green L&L
01-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Your projects look great. It is an inspiration to see projects of this caliber posted by a "2 year" veteran.. I look forward to the next one.

neversatisfiedj
01-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Well Matt I am in MD and get 45.00-55.00 a face foot and can construct walls in reasonable time and can tell you I make more on a 17.00/ft pavement. Just in my company scenario of course. We all have a different sense of "alot of money".

Josh

GreenMonster
01-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Your projects look great. It is an inspiration to see projects of this caliber posted by a "2 year" veteran.. I look forward to the next one.

Actually, this was my 4th season, but I think the quality and creativity of our work has improved greatly since last season, nevermind 4 years ago.

mrusk
01-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Well Matt I am in MD and get 45.00-55.00 a face foot and can construct walls in reasonable time and can tell you I make more on a 17.00/ft pavement. Just in my company scenario of course. We all have a different sense of "alot of money".

Josh

I've done $125 bucks an hour on a couple retaining wall jobs. I've never beat 70 and hour on paver jobs. I end up wasting to much time cutting or laying the curve out.

Matt

Grass-Masters
01-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Beautiful work, it really looks good. You have reason to like this one. Keep it up.