PDA

View Full Version : Official Firepit Thread...

MowingisMaddness
10-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Hello friends,

I did an internet search and a search of lawnsite and found very little about constructing a firepit. Well, its time to let the cat out of the bag. So everyone with experience(not me)... How do you build a long lasting, professional looking firepit? Maybe like one in the picture attached...

Thanks, aj

Ron's Lawncare
10-21-2006, 12:53 PM
i'm curious too. i don't think wall blocks would last in a fire pit.

Dirty Water
10-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Wallblocks do just fine in a fire pit.

The important part is to install a drainage system to keep water out of the firepit.

My method is to install a drainline in the bottom (sheetmetal gutter pipe works well) of the pit and then cover it with gravel to keep it from getting clogged or burnt.

GreenMonster
10-21-2006, 10:58 PM
I only have one firepit on my resume, so I'm by no means an expert.

Not to discredit Jon, but I didn't use any drainage, and customer reports no pooling, and I don't think wallstone will hold up, so I lined our's with firebrick.

Ron's Lawncare
10-22-2006, 12:58 AM

Not to discredit Jon, but I didn't use any drainage, and customer reports no pooling, and I don't think wallstone will hold up, so I lined our's with firebrick.

That's what i was thinking, we have one cobbled together at our camp made from 8'' cinder block and they don't last more than a couple years.

Dirty Water
10-22-2006, 08:13 PM

I'm no expert either, but I've built a few.

The drainage was put in just because we get some rain here.

I haven't seen wallblock crack from the heat, its not like its a smelting forge :)

That said, I used solid wallblock, not the hollow core stuff.

paponte
10-22-2006, 08:59 PM
I actually have seen block crack from the heat. I'm no expert either, but always thought a fire brick lining wouldn't hurt. I also know they make a special mortar for heat applications as well. :)

waltero
10-22-2006, 11:32 PM
This is a copy of the firepit that they had displayed at mahts last year.

sunray
10-22-2006, 11:46 PM
If you are going to be liable and care about your reputation, put the fire brick in that's why it's called fire brick.
My daddy always said build it to be abused , because sobody will come behind you and abuse it.

MowingisMaddness
10-23-2006, 01:34 AM
So where can I get a firebrick or block or stone? Manufactures in my area include: Unilock, Pavloc, Pavestone, Keystone, Versa Loc... but I don't recall any of them having a firebrick. I need to finish a bid for a patio with firepit by the end of this week;) Help please...

At the current time, I plan to bid the firepit with the following construction:

1) large drainage area underneath; 36" hole, 2 foot deep, filled with 1" clean rock.

2)6 inches of concrete sand on top of the 1 inch rock

3) standard retaining wall block for the walls of the pit

aj

Mike33
10-23-2006, 07:27 AM
I think some one went to a lot of work and expense to watch a fire that most people sits around on 8 dollar wolly world folding chair in the grass or a metal ring to do the same thing. Does look nice!
mike

cedarcroft
10-23-2006, 08:38 AM
any mason supply yard should have fire brick. its a fairly common product. if not in stock, they can get it for you and for the purposes of pricing I am sure they can give you a price.

MowingisMaddness
10-23-2006, 01:33 PM
But does any manufactuer make a retaining wall block that is made out of firebrick material?

AztlanLC
10-23-2006, 07:35 PM
I don't think so.
You can also get a 18" 20" 24" or bigger size steel pipe cut to lengh (6" below your final grade) and line with it.

kdlklm
10-24-2006, 05:04 PM
I did this one in my backyard, I used an old tractor wheel. The photo is a couple years old, but I've probably had about 500 fires in its, and it works perfectly.

Digdug
10-24-2006, 09:14 PM
kdlklm - nice looking job and back yard!

sunray
10-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Check with your local brick supply company, or ask any brick mason who builds masonry fireplaces.

sunray
10-24-2006, 09:37 PM
very nice yard.

PowerPlay
10-24-2006, 09:56 PM
I am a frequent reader on here but donít post often as most of these guys know way more about hardscaping than me. But here is a pic of one we did (patio, seating, and all). It is recommended to use fire brick or fire mortar (1 part portland, 1 part fire clay, 1 part sand). Although I have one in my backyard with Belgard block and have not had an issue with it. We have not had any problems with drainage either. Probably not an issue.

I think they look nicer and are more accessible a few rows above ground, plus you can upsell the customer on some seating!

These firepits are extremely popular in our area.

lawnboy
10-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Here is one we did

MowingisMaddness
10-31-2006, 10:15 PM
Here is one we did

What type of stone did you use to complete this project?

Total Landscape Solutions
10-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Just finished this one recently.

10-31-2006, 11:01 PM
Unable to resize. I'll try again later.

10-31-2006, 11:22 PM
Lets try this again.
Sorry I'm new to this whole resizing thing.

lawnboy
11-01-2006, 09:37 PM
What type of stone did you use to complete this project?

It is all belgard...