PDA

View Full Version : Who still lingers in the dark ages

6'7 330
10-20-2006, 10:41 PM
AKA not excepting Credit Cards. If you don't accept CC's, what are you're reasons why?

dcondon
10-20-2006, 10:45 PM
we have had no request for it. We have a couple that pay by paypal though.

Waterscapes By Design
10-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Im sure I could get a few customers to let me charge them that way. But the few machines and plans I have been quoted on just didnt seem all that appealing to me....I just felt like they were really gettin me with the lil charges they wanted me to pay, which in turn I would have to pass on to customer....I dunno, do you have a good one I could look at?

DBL
10-20-2006, 11:23 PM
we have had no request for it. We have a couple that pay by paypal though.

never had anyone ask. i would need a lot of them to request it to cover the charges on it and the machine.....someday

Jason Rose
10-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Yep, absolutely no requests for it around here. If people want convience then they use their computer and pay me through their banks auto pay system. The bank then has a processing center shoot me a check. I think they pay a monthly fee or it's free and they aren't out postage or the hassle of getting off their azz to go to a mailbox!

topsites
10-21-2006, 01:20 AM
My only problems are as follows:

- The % and the fees... Unless you have larger volumes, it adds up.
- For use in the field, an old-fashioned 'swiper' is no safer than accepting a check, while a satellite uplink via cellphone costs more.

But all that never excited me, the only thing I really wanted was online payments, woohoo right?
Paypal and 2checkout are way too expensive. So, to use your own online payment page requires the implementation of SSL (Secure Socket Layer) which involves the installation of some encrypted device on a server. If you are not the server administrator, you will have to use the host's SSL which a keen eye can tell is not your own. Even as server administrator, I tried to install SSL once and found it mind-boggling, and of course there is an annual cost associated with the 128-bit encryption key as well. And yes, they do have free SSL, but omg (http://www.openssl.org/) just look at the wonderful documentation (http://www.openssl.org/docs/).

P I T A, lol

bugspit
10-21-2006, 01:30 AM
dark ages :confused:

why create or contribute to someone else's debt when cash or debit serves the same purpose?

CC's, don't have them and don't want them.

rodfather
10-21-2006, 08:14 AM
In all these years, I have never been asked.

Green-Pro
10-21-2006, 08:42 AM
We have never had a request for CC. We do EFT with some residentiaals that asked to pay that way. EFT also with the USARC and Church of The Latter Day Saints. Not really excited about the whole CC thing, now if I could get all of my customers to EFT that would be great. I don't forsee this happening though as some are elderly and would never go for that.

Thirdpete
10-21-2006, 01:53 PM
i believe you meant to say "accepting"

haven't had the request. everyone pays by check.

HOOLIE
10-21-2006, 02:21 PM
I've been accepting them since 2002...this year I began aggressively promoting them and have all new signups this year on CC's as well as some old customers. Right now about 16 out of 75 are on CC's.

Nobody ASKS about them...I TELL them about it...and offer an 'incentive' to use them (credit Jim Lewis for this idea)

The fees? Well sure but what about all the time you waste going to the bank? That time doesn't count?

As far as contributing to someone else's debt, I care about MY own debt...not out there to save the world.

Also I'm looking into leasing a machine from my bank where I can customer's checks at home...the money is then instantly transferred into my account, same as if they used a debit card. Pretty soon I won't ever have to set foot inside the bank again :cool2:

TJLANDS
10-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Doing mostly commercial there is no need for it.
Also my 150+ residentials have never requested it.
The only time I think it would come in handy is for large landscape installs.
I have been asked several times if I accepted CC,s after submitting a bid for an install. If that was my bread and butter I would look into it.

firefightergw
10-21-2006, 07:24 PM
We only have very few customers that pay by check. Most of ours are set up on CC. The fees IMO pay for themselves. I made the decision to move to CC not because of customer requests but I believed it would streamline our accounts receivables and actually save us money. The decision not only proved true for those reasons but for many others. It was a good move for us. For everyone else that doesn't take CC's though, I wouldn't recommend changing. :laugh:

Woody82986
10-21-2006, 07:30 PM
I never have been asked to provide a credit card payment service. Some of my clients shoot me a check by having an internet system pay me once a month.

Waterscapes By Design
10-21-2006, 09:30 PM
yeah more and more people are now starting to use those check paying systems through their bank.....I personally dont care either way...

When I get a few more accounts I will probably go over to CC machines but Im really in no rush.
And the reason I will get a CC machine is for the waterfall side of business where there is plenty more money involved and what does stop people from getting those a lot of times is the fact I require cash...And no, not to put people in debt or help them to live beyond their means, some people hate giving away 5k in one lump sum....They rather pay on it to build credit or just feel safer...