PDA

View Full Version : Better stripes with a WB? Different sulky? Stripe kit?

Eclipse
10-20-2006, 11:46 PM
I would like to purchase a ZTR but many of my properies are better mowed with a walk behind. The problem is a ZTR with a stripe kit lays a much better stripe than almost any walk behind I have seen (with the exception of out till dark's stripes). I am trying to figure out how to get the best stripe out of a walk behind.

I was thinking a Bull Rider Sulky, this should put the sulky wheels in line with the drive tires on the mower and eliminite the sulky stripes messing up the stripe of the mower. I think a Pro slide would be great for stripes but I think I am a bit too heavy for a Pro Slide. Then I was thinking of adding to this a Big League Lawns stripe kit. I am hoping the combination of these two things could make my WB stripe nearly as good as a ZTR.

What do you think?

BUCKEYE MOWING
10-20-2006, 11:50 PM
I have a Quick 36 with a big league roller and it lays some serious stripes ...sulky is my next purchase ...and I am sure it stripes as well as a Z

DynaMow
10-21-2006, 01:06 AM
I don't know I think my w/b with sulky lays a pretty good set of stripes. Oh yeah I am A World Champion Striper!:laugh:

Envy Lawn Service
10-21-2006, 01:50 AM
Yeah, a two wheel sulky will help.

That and a stripe flap and you are set.

Richard Martin
10-21-2006, 06:09 AM
I have a BLL striper behind my Ferris 36 and it leaves stripes as good as the BLL striper that is behind my Dixie. When you move up from playing with flaps and other toys to a real striper it doesn't matter what the striper is behind. The rollers lay the grass over just as far as it going to go and there is no arguing with that.

John Gamba
10-21-2006, 07:05 AM
I would like to purchase a ZTR but many of my properies are better mowed with a walk behind. The problem is a ZTR with a stripe kit lays a much better stripe than almost any walk behind I have seen (with the exception of out till dark's stripes). I am trying to figure out how to get the best stripe out of a walk behind.

I was thinking a Bull Rider Sulky, this should put the sulky wheels in line with the drive tires on the mower and eliminite the sulky stripes messing up the stripe of the mower. I think a Pro slide would be great for stripes but I think I am a bit too heavy for a Pro Slide. Then I was thinking of adding to this a Big League Lawns stripe kit. I am hoping the combination of these two things could make my WB stripe nearly as good as a ZTR.

What do you think?

What kind of a walk do you have?? exmark makes a roller for there walks

prostriper
10-21-2006, 07:44 AM
What kind of a walk do you have?? exmark makes a roller for there walks

I believe the exmark roller is only avalable for the 52 and 60" TT's. You could do a search on here for "striping kit", there are an endless supply of striping kit ideas to choose from. But the Big league is an amasing roller. If you run something like the big league I don't think a sulky will mes the stripe up too much. Toro has one that lines the sulky tires up with the drive tires you could look into as well, but for striping I don't think you could beat the Pro-Slide.

John Gamba
10-21-2006, 07:56 AM
I believe the exmark roller is only avalable for the 52 and 60" TT's. You could do a search on here for "striping kit", there are an endless supply of striping kit ideas to choose from. But the Big league is an amasing roller. If you run something like the big league I don't think a sulky will mes the stripe up too much. Toro has one that lines the sulky tires up with the drive tires you could look into as well, but for striping I don't think you could beat the Pro-Slide.

All exmark walks but the belt or fixed deck ones.

jdramr4
10-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Check out the new hustler striping sulkie.

prostriper
10-21-2006, 08:41 AM
I don't know I think my w/b with sulky lays a pretty good set of stripes. Oh yeah I am A World Champion Striper!:laugh:

Congradulations on the "Best of 2006"

Pictures from the "World Champion" are posted below.

John Gamba and Envy would most likely agree. You may have heard of him his name was Eric Elm. Many here have learned alot from him, and a few took him up on his live striping lessons.

There are dozens of his pictures on here, look his profile up.

prostriper
10-21-2006, 08:45 AM
All exmark walks but the belt or fixed deck ones.

Yea the Turf tracer ant Turf Tracer HP. But I believe I remember reading in the Exmark thread that they no longer make them for the 48" and 36". I may be wrong.

John Gamba
10-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Yea the Turf tracer ant Turf Tracer HP. But I believe I remember reading in the Exmark thread that they no longer make them for the 48" and 36". I may be wrong.

I dont think the 36?? let me look into it.

Eclipse
10-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks for all the feedback.

John Gamba,
I do run eXmarks. I have thought about their stripe kit as well. I am concerned that as narrow as it is on a WB that it may not work as well as a wider roller?

I am already running two wheel sulkies. I have tried a Velke x2 and Jungle Wheels. The sulky wheel tracks being in the middle of the mower stripe messes up the stripe of the mower. A couple properties that I have to remove the sulky and walk the stripe looks better than with the sulky wheel tracks down the middle. I'm am curious if that with a roller the sulky stripes will disappear? But I'm guessing not 100%, that is why I was thinking of trying a wider sulky so it would track behind the mower tires.

Has anybody used Hustler's sulky? I am a bigger guy, I am wondering how it would be with some extra weight on it? Also I bet you feel every single bump in the turf with it so maybe it is not the best idea?

Thank you again for your replies.

naturescape
10-21-2006, 10:23 AM

What do you think?

How much do you weigh? I don't see it being a problem with the Proslide.

DJ Contracting
10-21-2006, 10:41 AM
I have two Gravely's one ZTR and one WB. They both have rubber flaps on them, if you look up my post you'll see how they both stripe, and they stripe very good, however I have noticed that when I use the grass catcher on them they stripe even better maybe it's cause the grass clippings are being picked up, anyway good luck.

Eclipse
10-22-2006, 03:31 PM
How much do you weigh? I don't see it being a problem with the Proslide.

It depends on the season :) Usually close to 280lbs. Heck I think most wheeled sulkies are only rated for 250lbs.

John Gamba
10-22-2006, 03:58 PM
It depends on the season :) Usually close to 280lbs. Heck I think most wheeled sulkies are only rated for 250lbs.

With the pro you can have a hard time in turns with your weight.

Signature Landscaping1
10-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Stripes with my lesco 48'' no roller, 1 wheel velke. Come out great!
The second is without the velke, they came out very bold.

topsites
10-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.

John Gamba,
I do run eXmarks. I have thought about their stripe kit as well. I am concerned that as narrow as it is on a WB that it may not work as well as a wider roller?

I am already running two wheel sulkies. I have tried a Velke x2 and Jungle Wheels. The sulky wheel tracks being in the middle of the mower stripe messes up the stripe of the mower. A couple properties that I have to remove the sulky and walk the stripe looks better than with the sulky wheel tracks down the middle. I'm am curious if that with a roller the sulky stripes will disappear? But I'm guessing not 100%, that is why I was thinking of trying a wider sulky so it would track behind the mower tires.

Has anybody used Hustler's sulky? I am a bigger guy, I am wondering how it would be with some extra weight on it? Also I bet you feel every single bump in the turf with it so maybe it is not the best idea?

Thank you again for your replies.

First off I don't mind the third wheel mark, especially on criss-cross designs it gives it a 'windowed' look, thou I do recommend curb jumping / turning off-turf so as to avoid that funny look towards the edges.

A WIDER roller is a bad answer, you want a roller (if you get one) at least 6-8 inches less wide than your deck width, so 40-42" for a 48", roughly. I made this mistake by buying a 48" roller for my 48" Wb, and it is a trick near obstacles to make sure the outer edge of the roller doesn't catch! If it does, I imagine you're in for an unplanned stunt.

I use both the chain kit on my '98 48" (which, I need to install one on the '06) and the roller on the '06 (which, I can use on the '98). The ultimate in striping is to have the roller hooked up to the '98, in addition to the chains it makes that bad boy into a dual kit machine. However, NO amount of striping KIT will delete that third line, so I work with it or unhook the velke.

With a sit-down sulky, from what I hear your biggest concern are your knees. Remember, your feet are resting on a steel platform and you need to spread eagle your knees because if the front caster of the Wb hits an incline, it will bring the back end of the Wb down and if your knee is in the way of those steel bar(s), I hear say the resulting pain is rather intense as the fixed bar(s) will be literally 'crushing' your lower leg bone between your knee and your ankle.

Here's an example of curbed stripes, nowhere do you see the turn of the third wheel, it's a bit of a trick near the wooded border (you gotta lift the deck and turn tight) and the pic isn't the greatest, but:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/curbedstripe.jpg

Envy Lawn Service
10-22-2006, 09:55 PM
That's cool topsites...

I never thought of the widowed look.

As for sit-down sulkies, in my opinion there are really few choices now.

1) Buy a Snapper Standsit sulky
http://www.snapperpro.com/images/acc_standsit2.jpg http://www.snapperpro.com/images/acc_standsit1.jpg
2) Buy a fixed sulky with caster wheels and fab something similar on it.

prostriper
10-22-2006, 10:25 PM
First off I don't mind the third wheel mark, especially on criss-cross designs it gives it a 'windowed' look, thou I do recommend curb jumping / turning off-turf so as to avoid that funny look towards the edges.

A WIDER roller is a bad answer, you want a roller (if you get one) at least 6-8 inches less wide than your deck width, so 40-42" for a 48", roughly. I made this mistake by buying a 48" roller for my 48" Wb, and it is a trick near obstacles to make sure the outer edge of the roller doesn't catch! If it does, I imagine you're in for an unplanned stunt.

I use both the chain kit on my '98 48" (which, I need to install one on the '06) and the roller on the '06 (which, I can use on the '98). The ultimate in striping is to have the roller hooked up to the '98, in addition to the chains it makes that bad boy into a dual kit machine. However, NO amount of striping KIT will delete that third line, so I work with it or unhook the velke.

With a sit-down sulky, from what I hear your biggest concern are your knees. Remember, your feet are resting on a steel platform and you need to spread eagle your knees because if the front caster of the Wb hits an incline, it will bring the back end of the Wb down and if your knee is in the way of those steel bar(s), I hear say the resulting pain is rather intense as the fixed bar(s) will be literally 'crushing' your lower leg bone between your knee and your ankle.

Here's an example of curbed stripes, nowhere do you see the turn of the third wheel, it's a bit of a trick near the wooded border (you gotta lift the deck and turn tight) and the pic isn't the greatest, but:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/images/curbedstripe.jpg

That is a pretty cool effect topsites. The turnaround at the landscame has to be a PITA. That would look way cool on a half acre or more.

SL&L8705
12-22-2006, 06:08 PM
I own two toro wb and have a proslide on both of them and love it ! leaves some mean stripes>>>Although I have never owned a velke.?

nobagger
12-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Our 36" Exmark Metro HP has a Big League Lawn stripe kit and some of our strips are incredible. We are looking into puting the same kit (only longer) on our rider when we get it in the spring.

RedMax Man
12-22-2006, 06:56 PM
I also have a Check Mate striping kit on my 48" Toro walkbehind, It lays very nice stripes and never damages the turf when when making sharp turns.
Here's one of my lawns:

RedMax Man
12-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Picture of a Checkmate striping kit and Velke an my 48" Toro Walkbehind:
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=68875&d=1165026395

SL&L8705
12-22-2006, 07:53 PM
Redmaxman, just curious , how much was the big league checkmate kit? what are the pros and cons? I have exact mower w/proslide I am looking at getting this striping kit. What size did you get. How does it do over obstcles? .All info would be greatly appreciated. BTW Nice stripes!!!!!!!! Keep it up nice job.

Eclipse
12-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the photos.

What keeps the kit on the ground, it is weighted?

Does it travel across streets and sidewalks ok?

Are there any negatives about running with the kit?

Thanks again.

RedMax Man
12-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the photos.

What keeps the kit on the ground, it is weighted?

Does it travel across streets and sidewalks ok?

Are there any negatives about running with the kit?

Thanks again.

The unit i have cost about $225. Mine is a 33" or 36" unit. they come in many sizes from 21" to 59" and have brackets to fit trim mowers, walk behinds and many zero turns.

Yes the kit does have some weight to it about 35lbs.

Yes it travels fine on driveways, roads, sidewalks, gravel, dirt, up and down trailer gates, everywhere the mower goes it goes too. It has wheel so it roles instead of dragging or sliding. Very rugged and well built with Dupont bushings and strong hardware.

The only negative i have found is that the way my Velke is monted in some times bumps into the striper when it rotates around when i am backing up. Most people shouldn't have this problem i just have put another spacer behind the Velke mount. Don't get a unit that is sticks out wider than the rear drivewheels and mount it as close as possible to them and you will never have any issues. thats what i did.

Any info. prices and questions can be found at there website: www.lawnstriping.com you can also buy directly from them which is what i did.

Elite Lawn Care
12-23-2006, 02:30 PM
The only problem I see with that kit is backing up. is that a problem? I have had a proslide XT on the back of a WB now for two years, I keep having to replace one spring on it every season since it will wear out. I does a great stripe job for sure! I weigh 175 and up until this year not a problem with pulling me, until I pulled the back plate off the mower where the Proslide mounts to, looks like the stress cracked the bend in the metal, it was an easy fix just bent up some new iron and had it welded on to beef up the mower. I think the "slap" from the unit extending lead to it. When I come to a turn I let the platform slide forward and then I turn. It puts things closer to the center of the turn and less leverage on the mount. As long as you do not stop in the turn everything just slides smothly and nicely.

4curbappeal
12-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Check out the new hustler striping sulkie.

I agree!! I have one and it stripes better than anything I have ever seen!!

RedMax Man
12-23-2006, 09:23 PM
The only problem I see with that kit is backing up. is that a problem? I have had a proslide XT on the back of a WB now for two years, I keep having to replace one spring on it every season since it will wear out. I does a great stripe job for sure! I weigh 175 and up until this year not a problem with pulling me, until I pulled the back plate off the mower where the Proslide mounts to, looks like the stress cracked the bend in the metal, it was an easy fix just bent up some new iron and had it welded on to beef up the mower. I think the "slap" from the unit extending lead to it. When I come to a turn I let the platform slide forward and then I turn. It puts things closer to the center of the turn and less leverage on the mount. As long as you do not stop in the turn everything just slides smothly and nicely.

The striping kit roles just as smoothly when backing up as going forward. It always lays at an angle away from the rear drive wheels when the mower is moving so that it doesn't interfere with anything. It can't flip underneath the machine when backing up unless you were trying to back over and down a steep curb and it started to hang instead of touching the ground and just rolling.

Uranus
12-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Sorry guy but I dont understand why you have to pay $200+ to stripe a lawn. Every mower I've ever used striped just fine. If I mow from the road to the house (up and down) on the first cut of the month you can still see it 4 weeks later.

Eclipse
12-24-2006, 01:03 AM
Sorry guy but I dont understand why you have to pay $200+ to stripe a lawn. Every mower I've ever used striped just fine. If I mow from the road to the house (up and down) on the first cut of the month you can still see it 4 weeks later.

I never was a proponet of a stripe kit until I tried a mower with one. Now I realize how much nicer they make a stripe.

RedMax Man
12-24-2006, 10:26 AM

Ya i know, i just like making my lawns standout among the rest and having them look manicured. With the Big League Lawns Checkmate striping kit my stripes last all winter.

Elite Lawn Care
12-24-2006, 04:39 PM
THanks RedMax Lawn.
It looks like it would be great on a Z or a Stand up, I am looking at getting an Everride Scorpion full float deck, I was reading that Everride they make Great Danes and John deere's stand on and that Gravely just contracted with them for the same. www.everride.com \ company News
I am really leaning with Standons as they feel like you have more control over your work space than a Z. with that Stripper it may just be what I need.

RedMax Man
12-25-2006, 10:32 AM
THanks RedMax Lawn.
It looks like it would be great on a Z or a Stand up, I am looking at getting an Everride Scorpion full float deck, I was reading that Everride they make Great Danes and John deere's stand on and that Gravely just contracted with them for the same. www.everride.com \ company News
I am really leaning with Standons as they feel like you have more control over your work space than a Z. with that Stripper it may just be what I need.

Ya, they make a striper that fits Zero turn standers like the Scorpion and Wright Stander.

The Rookie
12-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Here is my two cents. Granted, the roller stripe kit is going to make a more intense stripe, it is also going to lay the grass way over. My experience in striping has shown that just plain heavy chains behind the mower is the least damaging to turf, especially when turning and backing up. The eternal truth being a persons own perrogative when it comes to this topic. I have found that customers will want a striper back over if you are the first one to do it to their yard. And all the neighbors around this account will notice and maybe even get you more business.