PDA

View Full Version : John Deere with MODS

OnMyOwn
10-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Who has used the Mulch On Demand System???

I think it is a great concept, but wonder about the long term use under commercial conditions, such as curb hopping, dips and valleys. Will it tear up the linkage?

The one thing I like about this is the obvious mulching ability for leaves, etc. I also demo'd the JD 757 and was happy with the handling. It held the side of a hill much better than my Gravely 260Z.

In addition, I am seeing JD make a commercial push in the Central Indiana area. There are a lot more LCO's running around with "Green" on their trailers.

As always, JD wants my business for y/e pricing, but I want the professional's opinons regarding the in-the-field usage.

Thanks for your responses.

77dubose
10-22-2006, 10:24 PM
I just got a 757 with 60" MOD. Overall, I am very pleased with the mower, but I only have about 50 hours on it so far. I previously had a 737 with a mulch kit and was very pleased with it. I planned on getting a mulch kit on the 757 also, but the dealer made me a great deal on a remaining 2006 MOD. I am also skeptical about the long term durability, but it seems to be very well made.

OnMyOwn
10-22-2006, 10:30 PM
It sounds like we are in the same boat. The idea of being able to shift back and forth is appealing, but how durable is the system?

Thanks for your input.

jtkplc
10-22-2006, 10:37 PM
I had to use wavy mulch blades on my mulch kits on my 260Z. Does the cut quality suffer at all with no changing blade types but changing cutting methods?

OnMyOwn
10-22-2006, 10:40 PM
I've never tried mulching with my 260Z. My biggest interest in the JD MOD is the ability to shut down the chute completely to keep from blowing grass on buildings and mulch beds. The mulching ability is secondary, but necessary in some situations. It would be great for this time of season.

DLCS
10-22-2006, 10:42 PM
there is a good review on the 757 with the MOD deck in this months Turf magazine.

POPO4995
10-22-2006, 10:46 PM
As you can see, I am a John Deere fan. I demo'ed a 757 60"MOD and wasnt pleased. The concept is awesome but I just cant use it in my area because it is usually damp or dewy in the mornings for the first couple hours, and that made the cut quality go down. Other geographical areas or types of grasses would make a difference, but just won't work here. As for the construction of the machine, that wouldnt worry me at all. :usflag:

OnMyOwn
10-22-2006, 10:49 PM
How was the "regular" non-MOD cut in "dew" covered grass?

How was the MOD cut in dry grass?

Roger
10-23-2006, 06:58 AM
there is a good review on the 757 with the MOD deck in this months Turf magazine.

I believe the conclusion of the writer was OEM high-lift blades did not work very well for the mulching operation, rather mulching blades were needed for good results. And, the counterpart, mulching blades didn't work very well for discharge operation, rather the OEM high-lift blades were best for discharge.

The idea sounds appealing, but not if a blade change is needed to produce good results for each type of usage. Anybody with a MOD being used in both modes have comments on choice of blade?

jtkplc
10-23-2006, 09:47 AM
I believe the conclusion of the writer was OEM high-lift blades did not work very well for the mulching operation, rather mulching blades were needed for good results. And, the counterpart, mulching blades didn't work very well for discharge operation, rather the OEM high-lift blades were best for discharge.

That is exactly what I was wondering about with the MOD. I can't use high lifts with my mulch kits because the cut quality is terrible and we all know what using wavy mulch blades would be like side discharging so I wondered how it worked switching between mulch and side discharge and not changing blade types. Now I know...

deereguru1
10-25-2006, 07:57 PM
757 w/o MOD works well with predator blades. What really makes the MOD nice is the ability to only bag half of your clippings, just close the baffle half way. This coming straight from the Deere rep at my dealer. I've seen it work in person.

POPO4995
10-25-2006, 08:01 PM
How was the "regular" non-MOD cut in "dew" covered grass?

How was the MOD cut in dry grass?
The day I demo'ed it was a little wet or damp all day so could get any use in dry conditions. The no MOD, 7 Iron II deck cuts awesome, demo'ed a 2006 737 54" and it was awesome!

tacoma200
10-25-2006, 10:21 PM

The idea sounds appealing, but not if a blade change is needed to produce good results for each type of usage. Anybody with a MOD being used in both modes have comments on choice of blade?
That's exactly what I was going to say. And like Envy Lawn Service said long ago it is a compromise at best. Stay with the 7 Iron II for side discharge. They make after marker discharge blockers if thats what you want. I think the guy that wrote the review was trying to be nice and I suspect he would not buy one.

DLCS
10-25-2006, 11:24 PM
757 w/o MOD works well with predator blades. What really makes the MOD nice is the ability to only bag half of your clippings, just close the baffle half way. This coming straight from the Deere rep at my dealer. I've seen it work in person.

How? If you use the JD powerflow blower and you have a mod deck. You can't bag with the chute closed halfway. Reason is that you have to remove the discharge chute door in order to install the powerflow.