PDA

View Full Version : John Deere "Green Fleet"

lawnspecialties
10-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Has anyone here ever purchased equipment from Deere using the "Green Fleet" program? If so, what kind of a price break are we talking about? I'm sort of debating going with Deere next season and this would be a big part of whether it is worth it or not. Thanks.:)

Envy Lawn Service
10-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Well, I can't find any current info, but as it was explained to me, it's based on a points system, and certain units give you a certain number of points. All counted single digit numbers, and small stuff like trimmers/blowers were like 1 point each.

Seems like you needed like 18 points(?)
So you needed to buy like 3 major items or 2 and one of everything in handhelds, like 6 pieces.

The discount was only like 10% I think. And I figure you would have to hit your dealer up for it right before signing the papers in order to honestly get 10% off.

Me, I thought BIG WHOOP....

DLCS
10-21-2006, 02:31 PM
:rolleyes:

You need to accumulate 18 points within 12 months. Wheeled equipment is 6 points and handhelds are worth 1 point each. You can either get 3 pieces of wheeled equipment or 2 pieces of wheeled equipment plus 6 handhelds. For the bigger guys it adds up but if you only purchase a couple of things a year, then it will not work for you. This savings comes from Deere and Company and not the actual dealer.

rodfather
10-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Think Mike from MMLawn might have used this.

MMLawn
10-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Yeah I am in the Green Fleet Plan. It is a very good plan but only if you are going to be buying alot of equipment, say at least 3 mowers a year to get the points you'll need to make it worthwell. In addition to the GFP I also buy at the Federal Government price because I have fed contracts and Deere allows that. To use it you only have to have your dealer file your active fed contracts directly with Deere and in turn they will contact the dealer and tell them what price to sale you the equipment at.

Envy Lawn Service
10-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Mike,

That seems like a better setup there.

It just seemed to me like you would have to "sneek" the greenfleet thing in on the dealer last thing in order to 'really get' the greenfleet discount off the dealers best price.

lawnspecialties
10-21-2006, 09:53 PM
That's what I was expecting to hear. With all the talk of the 7-Iron's great performance, especially in wetter conditions, I've been debating selling the SuperZ and getting two 797's and the handhelds or just getting three ztr's. For only 10%, I may just get a second Hustler.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.....:confused:

MMLawn
10-21-2006, 10:01 PM
I can hook you up with one of my JD dealers and get you a 797 cheaper than you can get the same set-up Hustler, if you'd like. Also why the 797? Because of the LC high HP engine?

Envy Lawn Service
10-21-2006, 10:17 PM
I can hook you up with one of my JD dealers and get you a 797 cheaper than you can get the same set-up Hustler, if you'd like. Also why the 797? Because of the LC high HP engine?

I heard the 797 was a 2 gallon an hour fuel hog.
What have you heard since you are more "in the know" about these?

The 777 seems like the best option they have for those wanting more than 25hp, which seems to be the majority these days.

Envy Lawn Service
10-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Mike, is that 10% figure correct?

I wouldn't want to mis-inform... that's just my best guess from what I could recall.

MMLawn
10-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Mike, is that 10% figure correct?

I wouldn't want to mis-inform... that's just my best guess from what I could recall.

It will depend. His bottom line discount will be based on points and total $ spent.

As to the 797 that is why I was asking. It is somewhat of a gas hog, plus I really believe (and this is my personal feelings) that unless you are going to be keeping the mower through a full 3,000 hours of use then you don't really benefit from the LC price difference. Personally I have never had a problem with the 25HP being more than enough power for the 60" deck 757's. Shoot mine shoot the clippings out 15' away and never bog and we have cut some monster grass with them. Now on a 72" deck then yes you want to step up to the 777 or 797 because of the HP increase. But on only a 60" deck I'd never spend the extra money as the 757 is a nice machine in a 60".

lawnspecialties
10-21-2006, 10:31 PM

Exactly. I work 98% solo so my money really goes into my equipment. I've run B&S, Kohler, Honda, and Kawasaki and the Kaws have always stood out above and beyond for me. The liquid cooled plus DFI just seemed like a great setup. Again, running primarily solo, my machines have always held up as long as the engines since usually owner/operators take a little better care of their equipment than employees. If Envy's right on that fuel consumption :dizzy: , I use to have a 27 hp (my last SuperZ) like the 777's and obviously that would be an option.

Really right now, I'm just doing my research before plopping down the cash.

Thanks for the help.:)

Envy Lawn Service
10-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Mike,

I think I would tend to agree with you. When I took out the 757's they were priced well.... and it seems there was a huge gap in price to go up to the 777. Some of this I guess was due to the L/C engine and some due to it being a non-stock unit.

After running the 757... well in my opinion it was more that I would have been willing to pay for the small amount of time I'd wish for extra power.

I have 25hp on my 60" Lesco and for side discharge it is fine.
My only real gripe is I think I should be getting all the power I want out of it for the amount of fuel it uses most of the time.

par69
10-22-2006, 12:20 AM
I bought a 757 with mulch on demand and I love it. 60"deck! I have no problems cutting tall grass. I always mulch it. I go around once blowing it in so the mulching doesn't go all over the beds and cement areas. Tall wet grass clumps a little. But go over it again or let the clipings dry out and then go over them again and there gone.

I also work by my self. I find it very heplfull to send extra $$ to make my job easier with the right equipment.

huh
10-22-2006, 07:02 AM
In addition to the GFP I also buy at the Federal Government price because I have fed contracts and Deere allows that. To use it you only have to have your dealer file your active fed contracts directly with Deere and in turn they will contact the dealer and tell them what price to sale you the equipment at.

wow THAT can be a NICE break....thanks for the information!!

instyle
10-22-2006, 11:13 AM
I too am in the Green Fleet Program.

18 points is the idea, and from what i found you have to replace almost all your equioment to get 18 points. But the price break is worth it.

Gotta love John Deere