PDA

View Full Version : Do you mow on week-ends?

zero_turn_freak
10-21-2006, 03:30 PM
Do you mow on week ends?

rodfather
10-21-2006, 04:14 PM
not unless it is absolutely necessary

jtkplc
10-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Only if I get behind from rain.

metro36
10-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Because I am in school I have to mow on weekends. I try to get some done during the week after school and finish up on saterday.

Beau Rivage
10-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Sat. but not Sun...But I still work 30 hrs at my wage slave job and cut part-time, so I need to get as many customers lined up as I can. When I go full time next spring I may or may not keep doing it... depends on the money. The good thing about cutting Saturday is that the customer is usually always there to payup

DaughtryLC
10-21-2006, 05:40 PM
I mow a little on Sat. but, Sun. is Family Time, No esp.

paponte
10-21-2006, 05:43 PM

Ditto.. :)

DLCS
10-21-2006, 05:44 PM

Same here.

noseha
10-21-2006, 05:46 PM
ya......................

LwnmwrMan22
10-21-2006, 05:54 PM
I love working on the weekends. It's what's great about being solo.

I have 5 banks I do on Sundays, because I can make a mess and get everything cleaned up, no one knows any different.

90% of the time, the family isn't doing anything anyways, why not make life easier working??

When we DO do something, it's during the week, when everyone else is working, ie fishing, going to the Mall of America, etc.

I don't understand people that think they have to have the WEEKEND off. To me, it's more of a hassle because you can't get anything done, everyone else is trying to do their to-do list as well.

Work the weekend, take a couple of days off during the week if you need to do something.

Get enough work where your wife can work part time so you're not planning around her weekend days off as well.

mak2
10-21-2006, 05:55 PM
I do mow on Sundays, after church, if I got rained out or something.

Jason Rose
10-21-2006, 06:00 PM
I schedule at least half a days mowing for saturdays each year. I don't do much commercial work but there is one I do on sat. Also a few others that have been added new during the year get thrown onto saturdays as well as the one timers/vacationers that call late in the week. On the rare occasion I get rain delayed then I have the weekend to catch up. Weekends are also about my only good time to spread fert and spray weeds (pray for NICE weather!) Also spend sunday servicing equipment and taking it slow.

firefightergw
10-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Only if I get behind from rain.

ditto.....same here

RedMax Man
10-21-2006, 09:18 PM
sat. but not sun. I'm 17 and still in school so i work after school and if i have extra work i do it on sat. i also do my big jobs on sat. jobs that take a few hours like cleanups.

SproulsLawnCare
10-22-2006, 02:05 AM
I work until I get it all done. Usually, that means 7 days of the week. Between mowing, factory work, and book keeping, it's 8:00am until 1 or 2:00 am the next morning. I get a few hours on the weekend to take the family shopping.

huh
10-22-2006, 07:49 AM
When we DO do something, it's during the week, when everyone else is working, ie fishing, going to the Mall of America, etc.

I don't understand people that think they have to have the WEEKEND off. To me, it's more of a hassle because you can't get anything done, everyone else is trying to do their to-do list as well.

this here is the beauty of being ones own boss

man the lake is USUALLY so much funner when it is NOT the weekend......the downside is if you want to go with a bunch of friends they usually have only the weekend off......but if you have a family of just a few friends going and you really want to get some skiing or fishing in then screw the weekend....and as your own boss you can always plan with a big group of friends and then....give yourself the weekend off!!

and same with the mall....non-weekend is less hot girls.....but a hell of a lot less morons!! and easier to park and shop

a lot of times you can't even renew a license or take care of something in person (like a ticket :rolleyes: ) on the weekend....and if you can the line is 500 miles long with 1 clerk....and it cost you one day of a "weekend"

you can go to good restaurants when they are not jam packed.....golf course....a LOT less crowded....beach......park....hell you name it.....often it is best to do during the week

:)

not to mention more than one day off for Christmas and Thanksgiving and New Years.....especially in the green industry when things are slow!!

Brendan Smith
10-22-2006, 11:14 AM
if i'm awake, i'm working. hell, sometimes i'm working and not awake.

stuffdeer
10-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Lol Brendan....

Yes, I work on weekends. Mainly because some of my customers are gone on weekends, and the yards have been cleaned-up.

But the majority I mow on Thursday and Friday.

alexschultz2
10-22-2006, 11:19 AM
if it rained during the week i will go to church on sat night and cut on sunday

David Haggerty
10-22-2006, 07:03 PM
When I'm mowing on a 5 day schedule I work weekends. Usually until July 4th.
A couple of residentials would prefer we not mow weekends. But on a 5 day schedule it'll happen about once per month. They tolerate it pretty well.

POPO4995
10-22-2006, 07:06 PM
If I get behind...otherwise no.

LLandscaping
10-22-2006, 07:16 PM
I never work on Sunday and only work on Saturday if there is no way around it. I usually work on equipment on Sunday after church.

grass-scapes
10-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Only if forced to due to rain, employees not showing up or otherwise getting behind in my normal schedule

MowerMoney
10-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Saturdays are make-up days (in case of rain, etc). Usually doing other jobs on Sat. I do no work on Sundays, except a bit around my house, maybe some mower maintenance.

DuraCutter
10-23-2006, 01:12 AM
I never work on Sunday and only work on Saturday if there is no way around it. I usually work on equipment on Sunday after church.

That's an honest answer. Everyone is different.

Me and my employees, well we don't stop for weekends, holidays etc...

Too much work and besides we can't control the weather and usually it's nasty all week. We find the weekend has less traffic, we can catch up and offer fast service on jobs that couldn't find a contractor for up to 2 years.
My kids are grown up, and when I see them, it's a hand reaching for my wallet:laugh: :laugh:

So, the weekend is work till there is so much money in the bank that I won't feel guilty taking it off. :waving:

gandk06
10-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Being that I am a teacher, during the school year I work weekends but not during the summer. Try not to in the spring but now that the days are so short I have to do weekends.

J&R Landscaping
10-23-2006, 01:17 PM
If nessecary, I will mow on saturday but I do my best to keep sunday a free day. I have only had to be on a customers property 2 times this year on sundays. The customers need there time and I need some as-well!

grassmedics
10-23-2006, 03:34 PM
i work a full time job and mow only on weekends right now, still trying to get accounts.

BQLC
10-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Sat yes .Sun yes but not mowing it is doing the honey do list

Mr Budget
10-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Only if forced to due to rain, employees not showing up or otherwise getting behind in my normal schedule

You the man!, I agree 100% ^^^^

jbell113
10-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Never work weekends and I have a full time job on 2nd shift. Wake up at 6:45 every morning and work till 2:00p.m. and then work from 4 till midnight. I usually get between 4-9 yards done every day depending on growth and route. By thurday I am beat so I take fridays off depending on how I feel. But contracted yards will get done every week....might skip a few non contracted yards but I refuse to work weekends and I have it in my contract that If rain out you will be scheduled for the next business day...no weekends(unless they want to pay over time....LOL