PDA

View Full Version : I know what to charge but...............

Big Bad Bob
10-21-2006, 03:54 PM
How should I handle this situation? H.O. (home owner) wants a one time cleanup. Wants it done on Monday and is willing to pay extra to bump another client. Easy cleanup. The HO won't be home on Monday and wants it billed. I am asking a deposit. How much deposit should I ask for in this situation? I usually wouldn't ask a deposit for a job under $500.00, especially since there are no materials involved. Only labor, gas and disposal.

Thanks guys. a lot of you seem to know what you are talking about.

DaughtryLC
10-21-2006, 05:52 PM
How did he find out about you? Do you know him? Most of the time I can tell alot about someone when I meet them. Go with your gut instinct, If you're not sure go with 50%

noseha
10-21-2006, 05:58 PM
How did he find out about you? Do you know him? Most of the time I can tell alot about someone when I meet them. Go with your gut instinct, If you're not sure go with 50%

ya..........

Digdug
10-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Not sure where you are , but in Maine the law says a contractor can only ask for 1/3 of the contract price for a deposit.
Thats what the law says. But if something doesnt smell right i will ask for 50% down and if i'm in the right mood i will get 100% . Depends on the situation.

sheshovel
10-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Ask for 1/2 .

Big Bad Bob
10-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Not sure where you are , but in Maine the law says a contractor can only ask for 1/3 of the contract price for a deposit.
Thats what the law says. But if something doesnt smell right i will ask for 50% down and if i'm in the right mood i will get 100% . Depends on the situation.

thank you. I have a pretty good feeling about this but I have had people I knew and trusted and were regular customers who, after the job was done, decided they didn't have to pay me for 30 days.
it's just that I don't know this person and this is kinda a new situation for me. usually I do cleanups for people I do other work for and bill with the mowing, once a month. or the HO is home when I do the cleanup. just wondering if this should be handled like any other landscape job.

J&R Landscaping
10-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Since this is a new customer, I would request for 1/2 up front. Though, since the customer wants to be put on a priority list, you might ask for the 100% payment up front. Tell her you do that if its an urgent job.

Big Bad Bob
10-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Since this is a new customer, I would request for 1/2 up front. Though, since the customer wants to be put on a priority list, you might ask for the 100% payment up front. Tell her you do that if its an urgent job.

I knew if I waited long enough, I'd get the answer I wanted. :p
I kind of hoped more would say this. I guess I just wanted vindication.payup

thanks to all who replied. what I was wondering is, is there a reason not to ask for 100% in this situation? I'm not really worried about not getting the job.

John Gamba
01-19-2008, 03:16 PM

thanks to all who replied. what I was wondering is, is there a reason not to ask for 100% in this situation? I'm not really worried about not getting the job.

What finally happened

Fert33
01-19-2008, 04:54 PM

I would ask for cash if your going to do that. They could just stop payment on the check after your done. especially if there is something that they feel is not done correctly. Just a thought.:)

carcrz
01-19-2008, 08:19 PM
In the case of a new customer, I'd go 1/2 up front w/ a signed contract. In case they decide they don't want to pay you, you can go to court w/ the rest. Not sure on the area & how safe it is, but if I have a customer that isn't going to be home & they already have an agreed upon price, I'll have them tape a check/envelope to the back door & I get it when I'm done.

John Gamba
01-20-2008, 07:58 AM
This was last July:)