PDA

View Full Version : Crews and Rain?

howardsells2000
10-21-2006, 03:31 PM
How do you guys that have crews handle rainy days. I have trouble deciding sometimes if I am going to work or not when it rains. For instance if it's raining at 8 am I will have to wait and depending on what time it stops I might be able to work that day or not. If I had a crew, would I have to pay them to wait and see what the rain does or do you send them home and then call them back. If you can't work because of the rain do your guys know that they will have to work on the weekend to make up the time. I hope this makes sense. I was thinking about it yesterday. It rained early in the morning but stopped around 8 am so I waited about 2 hours for things to dry a little then headed out and before I started my mower it started to rain again. So I went and did a few things then the sun came out and I managed to mow for about 6 hours. It made me think how do you guys handle this when you have one or more employees.

rodfather
10-21-2006, 03:47 PM
My guys will mow whenever I need them to. If they start at 10 and work till 6, so be it. If an additional Saturday is required once in a while, they understand that too. They want the hours and I want the revenue. BTW, I pay higher per hour than most.

howardsells2000
10-21-2006, 09:46 PM
What time do you decide your not going to mow today? I find myself not being able to relax. I keep thinking it might stop and I should be working to keep up with my accounts. I watch the weather but I can't rely on them.

dcondon
10-21-2006, 10:06 PM
If it does not stop before 10:00 then we call it a day. I like to get most of the work done in the morning. I can not stand starting work at noon time!!!

MMLawn
10-21-2006, 10:15 PM
It's easy.....we cut in the rain unless it is a monster down pour, but we are also 90% commercial accts

gardenkeeper88
10-22-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm checking the radar early and if it's raining when they are ready to come in they know to call me first. You can read the radar as well as any weatherman and I can pretty much call it a day or a later start time. Only a coupl of days have I had to change or cancel the day after I set a later start time. Yes they do know Sat. is a possible if it rainshowever most of the time they longer the rest of the week to catch up. Remember sometimes an employee may have previous plns for sat and sometimes I have to bring in another for that sat.

naturescape
10-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Yes, you have to learn to read the radar. And you can get it downloaded to your cell phone if you need to check it often. You could have your crews work on equipment if it looks like you'll only be rained out for a couple hours, if it looks like more than that send 'em home.