PDA

View Full Version : LCO enemy, closeup

Tharrell
10-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Well, not too close! Hey, I'm no fool!
I had just went around this tree ring.
I saw these bad boys just in time to put the wb in 5th and take off!

Jason Rose
10-21-2006, 06:51 PM
LOL! they obviously weren't too aggressive since you were standing there, not the africanized!

I had a little bunch at a customers house a month or so ago. They had made or were making a nest in some sod hunks the lady had tossed under her deck, must have been some voids in there and they made it home. I saw them buzzing around and was cautious to say the least. I watched them closely as I mowed and avoided them by about 5 feet, they never even changed their flight plan or seemed to move faster or in my direction. Also they were fairly small in size, almost like a large housefly but was obviously a bee. Whatever kind they were they didn't care about me in the least.

I saw the homeowner that day and notified her of them, she had no idea even tho they were right next to where she had rolled up her water hose! She took care of them.

lawnwizards
10-21-2006, 06:52 PM
haven't seen any jackets in about 3 weeks around here. glad you saw them in time. they will chase you plum down the street.

SproulsLawnCare
10-22-2006, 01:15 AM
I found a nest of yellow jackets with my trimmer about a month ago. I guess they didn't like me messing with their home too much!:p

jcb287
10-22-2006, 09:32 AM
You really have to watch this time of year.LOL I can picture Tharrell cruizin right now looking over his shoulder:laugh:

abuckeye
10-22-2006, 10:04 AM
I ran over a nest in the ground that I didn't know was there a few weeks ago. I had to jump off the mower until they calmed down a little. I got stung about 10 times. Told the homeowner I was not mowing back there until the problem was fixed.

eruuska
10-22-2006, 10:14 AM
LOL! they obviously weren't too aggressive since you were standing there, not the africanized!

I'm assuming these were some kind of wasp and not honeybees. Remember that it's the honeybee that has the problem with the africanized species running amok.

Check these images to be able to tell the difference. Remember, honeybees are our friends:drinkup: , yellow jackets and other wasps are the enemy!:cry:

Jason Rose
10-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Sorry, From the fuzzy viedo I really thought they were just bees. YES some bees do nest in the ground. We really don't see "yellowjackets" around here, we do however have the huge ground hornets that look like a yellowjacket on steriods! They are like the social wasps and will colonize together after some time. The nest I ran across was just bees, and if it wasn't they were some tame (and small) yellowjackets, lol!

We just recently had out pesticide recertification class and one segment was all about the africanized honey bees that are nearly as far north as Kansas now. Got to learn how to distinguish the difference between the 2, as well as the obvious Differences between BEES and yellowjackets.

Learned that bees are NOT "afraid of water" as most people are told. Also that the africinized bees will give chase for nearly a MILE, while the european bees will only chase for a couple hunderd feet. Don't junp in a lake either, cause they WILL wait for you to surface to get a breath... Best place to run is a car or truck, hope your windows are up, jump in and then swat the ones that came in with you. Gal said people tend to freak at the ones that came with you in the vehicle and jump back OUT with the 1,000 or so waiting outside. But that's all nethier here nor there since we are talking about yellowjackets here...

lawnwizards
10-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Sorry, From the fuzzy viedo I really thought they were just bees. YES some bees do nest in the ground. We really don't see "yellowjackets" around here, we do however have the huge ground hornets that look like a yellowjacket on steriods! They are like the social wasps and will colonize together after some time. The nest I ran across was just bees, and if it wasn't they were some tame (and small) yellowjackets, lol!

We just recently had out pesticide recertification class and one segment was all about the africanized honey bees that are nearly as far north as Kansas now. Got to learn how to distinguish the difference between the 2, as well as the obvious Differences between BEES and yellowjackets.

Learned that bees are NOT "afraid of water" as most people are told. Also that the africinized bees will give chase for nearly a MILE, while the european bees will only chase for a couple hunderd feet. Don't junp in a lake either, cause they WILL wait for you to surface to get a breath... Best place to run is a car or truck, hope your windows are up, jump in and then swat the ones that came in with you. Gal said people tend to freak at the ones that came with you in the vehicle and jump back OUT with the 1,000 or so waiting outside. But that's all nethier here nor there since we are talking about yellowjackets here...i always thought jumping in water drowns "no pun intended" your scent so they will leave you alone.

mowingtowing
10-22-2006, 08:01 PM
i got stung several times this year by yellow jackets. NO FUN!

BSDeality
10-22-2006, 11:26 PM
just saw a clip on PBS tonight about africanized or "killer" bees. They're a cross of european bees and they track by co2 and will protect upto 1100' on average from their nest while the other ones will only protect about 100'. They said the killer bees send out 5x as many soldiers to protect the nest.

Jason Rose
10-22-2006, 11:32 PM
just saw a clip on PBS tonight about africanized or "killer" bees. They're a cross of european bees and they track by co2 and will protect upto 1100' on average from their nest while the other ones will only protect about 100'. They said the killer bees send out 5x as many soldiers to protect the nest.

LOL, I caught the last half of that too... Having the "basic" cable here stinks, only have about 8 watchable channels.

BSDeality
10-23-2006, 12:02 AM
LOL, I caught the last half of that too... Having the "basic" cable here stinks, only have about 8 watchable channels.
yah. i was just flipping channels and some saw dude wearing a bee suit and thought it might be a good watch.

Tharrell
10-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Yeah, those were yellow jackets. I've seen a few nests this year and been stung twice. I watched them for a while and where they went when they flew away. They're incredibly fast. Some land was cleared across the street and I watched one fly across there faster than I could run.

ed2150
10-23-2006, 08:02 PM
I ran over what must be a huge yellow jacket nest while mowing today....fortunately, it was so cold here that all they could manage to do was to buzz around just off the ground but there were HUNDREDS of them!

Sure would have been trouble if it was warm!

Dashunde
10-23-2006, 08:24 PM
We recently had a ton of those little yellowjackets join a large gathering at a local park about 3 weeks ago. They seemed to really like (and swarm) the lemonade cooler.
They were just kind of annoying being all over the place, but none of them were aggressive and no one was stung.
Guess they act differently away from their own nest.

DBL
10-23-2006, 08:40 PM
film burning them up

Idealtim
10-23-2006, 09:15 PM
yellow jackets just love starting fluid lol. Drops them right out of the air, dead by the time they hit the ground.

DBL
10-25-2006, 02:16 PM
yellow jackets just love starting fluid lol. Drops them right out of the air, dead by the time they hit the ground.

you get to be good shot with spray can after a while

T. Wheeler
10-25-2006, 03:46 PM
About a month or 2 ago we were mowing a account for a auction service and I was trimming and hit a yellow jackets nest. I didn't realize it was yellow jackets until I got stung about 3 or 4 times. It all worked out to be 13 stings. The worst one was right on the tip of my nose