PDA

View Full Version : Ever have one of those days where you feel, like an IDIOT?

WildWest
10-22-2006, 06:05 PM
It's a beautiful day here Phoenix, I have been planning to go out today (sunday) and put some fliers out.
Now being fairly new to the area, I'm used to sprinklers systems for your lawn.
Well, as I'm walking, I see this yard (about 3/4 of an acre) FLODDED! About 10" deep, it looked like the fountains at Cesars Palace with a plant filled island in the middle. So i'm thinkin' Holy cow, this can't be right! I walk up to the door and ring the bell.... an older fella answers the door and I say "good morning sir, I don't know if you're aware, but your front yard is flooded..." He looks at me and says "yeah, I know...i'm irrigating it! It's flood irrigation!" :hammerhead:
I must have turned red as a beet! I felt like the BIGGEST HORSES A$$!
So, I said..."oh, well....that makes sense. I'm new here, from Florida, just not used to seeing someones lawn flooded!" He says, "well, this is the desert, big difference."
So with what little composure I had left, I said "well, have a nice day" turned and slithered off! ;)

I have NEVER seen this method of irrigation on a lawn before! Farms, yeah okay! But a lawn?!:confused:
I told my wife, she busted up! I couldn't even leave a flier with the guy, I sure as hell didn't want him to know my name! :hammerhead:

lawnwizards
10-22-2006, 06:08 PM
was he growing rice?:waving:

lawnspecialties
10-22-2006, 06:51 PM
You were just being nice. I sure as heck wouldn't have known what he was doing.:dizzy:

Mr.Mow-It-All
10-22-2006, 07:05 PM
You were .just being nice. I sure as heck wouldn't have known what he was doing.:dizzy:

Me either, never heard of that. Maybee somenone from arizona can help.

Digdug
10-22-2006, 07:35 PM
I think he was pulling your leg.

Patriot Services
10-22-2006, 07:46 PM
I am in Tampa and I can tell you for sure that " flood irrigation" is not the norm here. Standing water on Florida grasses will lead to a fungus problem like you have never seen. In fact I don't think it is good for any type of grassdesert or not. Most grass grown in drought areas are meant to thrive on little water. Maybe the old guy was trying to make a cranberry bog?:dizzy: :dizzy: :usflag:

WildWest
10-22-2006, 09:46 PM
I think he was pulling your leg.

AZ Gardener cleared it up for me! It's the norm her in the older parts of town.
I've seen it in several places, I just didn't know that they were doing it on purpose. Alot of older houses have the yard graded and burms around the edges of the lawn. The High school up the street floods their football field.
This whole time I was just thinking that these folks can't handle their sprinkler timers!:rolleyes:

Az Gardener
10-22-2006, 10:00 PM
You did'nt tell me the funny part.

Here is a marketing idea your welcome to. On those boards I told you about, they are 5-6ft tall post with a fiberglass enclosure that opens from the bottom. Inside is the address of the homes and the owners name with zip code and everything for that neighborhood. You can choose the problem yards and send them a personalized flier/letter if you wanted to go that route.

That was too funny "your yard is flooded sir, yea so" :laugh: . By Tuesday it will be firm enough to mow too. Welcome to AZ.

sunray
10-22-2006, 10:19 PM
try this one, in the late 80's we lived in the middle of nowhere abouve Amarillo tx.
We didn't get to the big city to often, so we were behind the latest trends.
We go to toys are us and get out of the car, I looked across the parking lot at some shopping carts.
I tell my wife, look somebody's left a babies car seat on that buggy.
So I go across the lot to retrieve it and take it inside, that's when I realize it's fastened to the cart!
I told my wife, we've been in the sticks to long.

huh
10-22-2006, 10:50 PM
did you live in Sunray by chance

and yea above Amarillo is BFE!!!....but it can still be pretty cool :)

DBL
10-22-2006, 10:56 PM

hahahahahaha

WildWest
10-22-2006, 11:06 PM
You did'nt tell me the funny part.

Here is a marketing idea your welcome to. On those boards I told you about, they are 5-6ft tall post with a fiberglass enclosure that opens from the bottom. Inside is the address of the homes and the owners name with zip code and everything for that neighborhood. You can choose the problem yards and send them a personalized flier/letter if you wanted to go that route.

That was too funny "your yard is flooded sir, yea so" :laugh: . By Tuesday it will be firm enough to mow too. Welcome to AZ.

LOL, I felt like a COMPLETE IDIOT! We both had a smirk on our face, and we were both thinking.....I'M STUPID! :laugh:

WildWest
10-22-2006, 11:15 PM

Atleast I could have played that off!!! But, no.......NO, I'm Irrigating my lawn, mr. lawn wizard

Envy Lawn Service
10-23-2006, 04:21 AM
That's funny... good to laugh since I'm all ticked off with insomnia...

On a similar note, I felt like an idot earlier myself when I had my own revelation about something that had never dawned on me over a period of two years... but that's a topic for another thread... LOL.

Sandgropher
10-23-2006, 05:54 AM
LOL, I felt like a COMPLETE IDIOT! We both had a smirk on our face, and we were both thinking.....I'M STUPID! :laugh:

Sounds like he is a complete idiot, what benefit would you get out of it ?? most of the water will drift down past the root zone and you would probally waste 90% of the water.

Gene $immons
10-23-2006, 06:32 AM
What keeps trhe water from running off? Is there some type of short stem wall that encloses the yard?

My yard could use some flood irrigation.

rodfather
10-23-2006, 07:00 AM
Shoot, we've had flood irrigation naturally all year long here in the NE...only lawns we haven't been able to cut this year are the one that have been under water when we show up. :dizzy:

puppypaws
10-23-2006, 10:22 AM
It's a beautiful day here Phoenix, I have been planning to go out today (sunday) and put some fliers out.
Now being fairly new to the area, I'm used to sprinklers systems for your lawn.
Well, as I'm walking, I see this yard (about 3/4 of an acre) FLODDED! About 10" deep, it looked like the fountains at Cesars Palace with a plant filled island in the middle. So i'm thinkin' Holy cow, this can't be right! I walk up to the door and ring the bell.... an older fella answers the door and I say "good morning sir, I don't know if you're aware, but your front yard is flooded..." He looks at me and says "yeah, I know...i'm irrigating it! It's flood irrigation!" :hammerhead:
I must have turned red as a beet! I felt like the BIGGEST HORSES A$$!
So, I said..."oh, well....that makes sense. I'm new here, from Florida, just not used to seeing someones lawn flooded!" He says, "well, this is the desert, big difference."
So with what little composure I had left, I said "well, have a nice day" turned and slithered off! ;)

I have NEVER seen this method of irrigation on a lawn before! Farms, yeah okay! But a lawn?!:confused:
I told my wife, she busted up! I couldn't even leave a flier with the guy, I sure as hell didn't want him to know my name! :hammerhead:Don't feel stupid everybody has to learn some way. I am very familiar with in furrow flood irrigation for crops but I darn sure never knew they had flood irrigation for lawns. What kind of soil is there, is it just totally sand like any other desert? That is very interesting, see you have taught us about something we never knew, make some pictures of this and post them.

Az Gardener
10-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Most of the soil is heavy clay. They put down about 4"-6" of water and all the yards have berms around the edges and drain pipes to go under walkways and fences to carry the water to other parts of the yard. It is the only water the lawns and plants get for two weeks. Even in the heat of summer. Only a small % still use this method exclusively but back in the day it was the only way to water the landscape.

puppypaws
10-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Most of the soil is heavy clay. They put down about 4"-6" of water and all the yards have berms around the edges and drain pipes to go under walkways and fences to carry the water to other parts of the yard. It is the only water the lawns and plants get for two weeks. Even in the heat of summer. Only a small % still use this method exclusively but back in the day it was the only way to water the landscape.I would have never thought it would be a clay type soil, when you get clay wet it will retain the moisture for a longer period of time, this is why I thought it would be sand and it just took a lot more water to keep it in the root zone. The area I farm is clay and sandy loam but once you move east of me it turns into mostly sand. Do they sprinkler irrigate there now and when did that begin, just curious.

topsites
10-23-2006, 11:06 AM
I can see where the old man was coming from, he was actually pretty nice, all things considered.

Sandgropher
10-23-2006, 11:35 AM
It sounds like an old out dated thing from years gone by, AZ says only a few are still doing it, perhaps they do not not any better ??

Az Gardener
10-23-2006, 12:28 PM
They know better but the water is free and you don't have to pay to install or maintain an irrigation system. Lots of nutrients come through flood irrigation (as well as weed seed) so the biggest trees in town are in flood irrigated lots. I would love to have a flood irrigation. The lawns tend to be a hodge podge of Bermuda, St. Augustine and Nutsedge not the greatest but it is green and covers the dirt. I guess it just depends on how you want to spend your money.

puppypaws
10-23-2006, 02:27 PM
They know better but the water is free and you don't have to pay to install or maintain an irrigation system. Lots of nutrients come through flood irrigation (as well as weed seed) so the biggest trees in town are in flood irrigated lots. I would love to have a flood irrigation. The lawns tend to be a hodge podge of Bermuda, St. Augustine and Nutsedge not the greatest but it is green and covers the dirt. I guess it just depends on how you want to spend your money.You can take Basagran and crop oil and clean Yellow Nutsedge right up, it also takes out most all broadleafs and want effect the grass at all.

sheshovel
10-23-2006, 04:48 PM
I probably would have done the same thing, thinking the guy had a broken pipe somewhere.

walker/redmax
10-23-2006, 07:11 PM
What keeps trhe water from running off? Is there some type of short stem wall that encloses the yard?

My yard could use some flood irrigation.
My thoughts exactly!
I want to rock 'n' roll all night and party every day!

sunray
10-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Why yes it was Sunray, it was a different world.

leadarrows
10-24-2006, 12:21 AM
To the original question....Yes but mine is more like Ground Hog Day.

bblouie
10-25-2006, 08:38 AM
They still build lots with flood irrigation here in the Phoenix area. In fact it is a selling point. They are houses built over old farms and citrus groves. I have several customers that don't use sprinklers only flood irrigation and their lawns are superior to most with just sprinklers. It costs about $18.00 to put 6" of water over an acre lot. The root depth is 8-12"...I would prefer flood irrigation to sprinklers myself.

desert rose gardening
10-26-2006, 01:31 AM
What kept the water in his yard? or did it just run down the street later?

Az Gardener
10-26-2006, 01:41 AM
Berms, the yards are like bowls low in the middle and a 12" high berm all around the perimeter. Maybe more like short cake pans, not bowls. They are level in the center or slightly sloped from one end to the other but they all have berms around the edges. Only water flowing down the street if the irrigator runs too long or a drain line is plugged.

nfarr
10-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Berms, the yards are like bowls low in the middle and a 12" high berm all around the perimeter. Maybe more like short cake pans, not bowls. They are level in the center or slightly sloped from one end to the other but they all have berms around the edges. Only water flowing down the street if the irrigator runs too long or a drain line is plugged.

15yrs ago, I used to see this in S Texas

steve45
10-26-2006, 09:33 PM
I have a cousin in Pheonix. Her first house had this type of irrigation. The neighborhood used to be an orange grove, and every house had an orange tree or two in the yard. When they installed a swimming pool, they had to build it up to keep the water out of it.

By the way, I've spent many days in Sunray, Texas at the refinery and various gas plants. Spent many nights in Dumas, Amarillo, Borger, etc. too!

Idealtim
10-26-2006, 10:06 PM
I would of been clueless and would of asked te same thing, but now that I know what it's purpose was, makes sence.