PDA

View Full Version : When Do You Start Bidding & Advertising?

dcramer
10-22-2006, 07:08 PM
When do you guys start going out and getting next years business in the winter. Do you wait until Jan or Feb or what? How about advertising.. when do you go out and hang door hangers or put ads in the paper?

Woody82986
10-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Its never too early in my opinion. I am making contacts and networking all the time but especially right now. LCO's are winding down operations for the season so it is an excellent time around here to make new contacts and start feeling people out to see if they are open to a change of service for next season. I am constantly feeling people out to see how they feel about their LCO. I think the more you put yourself out there the better. I try to keep an ad in the paper year around, but I don't do door hangers. I would probably wait until clower to spring for those.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
10-22-2006, 08:41 PM
We have been advertising for fall and winter services recently. In our advertisments we have a little blurb about signing up for next year and we have had pretty good results thus far. It is never to early to get your name out there.

topsites
10-23-2006, 11:50 AM
This has been my experience but there are several schools here... While some guys advertise year round, I don't (well, not right now). Either way, it never hurts to boost it in early spring, here's how I do it:

Two solid weeks (14+ days) before magic happens, my ad needs to be out and keep going out, but the actual date varies. The best way I can describe the magic happening is there always comes a day in spring when suddenly it gets warm and the grass starts to grow and your phone starts ringing (and doesn't stop) <- If your ad is not out on that very day, for every day your ad is late, you miss out.

It is very important to be on time, whatever work or part of the spring boom you miss, you have forever lost...
Ok you can make up for some of it, but no time of the year is as busy as spring.

For me in Virginia the day magic happens is usually the 1st of April, or around that. Now my ad comes out on Tuesdays (newspaper), so I make sure my ad is in the paper starting TWO Tuesdays before the 1st, this usually falls on or around the 18th-21st of March but again, it varies some. What this does is it ensures my ad is out on that day, this year was weird and magic didn't really happen at all, thou things picked up it wasn't the usual Ka-BOOOM, last year it hit towards the last week of march, so you gotta be kinda early for sure.

Too early doesn't do much good, but it's better than too late.
It depends where you live also, I would imagine South Carolina might start a week or three before me, while Maine likely starts a week or two later, so to speak.

Then, I keep running that ad, every week all through April and May.
Usually by June I switch to EOW and by July I'm done for the year but I stay ready to resume anytime, just in case.

Do that, and you'll never worry about word of mouth again lol
Ok, not quite, but almost...!

jajwrigh
10-23-2006, 08:11 PM
Marketing and advertising for your business should be an ongoing process for you. There is always another season around the corner and it is better to be proactive about it constantly. If you are not, your competetion will be.

Josh.S
10-24-2006, 12:17 AM
This has been my experience but there are several schools here... While some guys advertise year round, I don't (well, not right now). Either way, it never hurts to boost it in early spring, here's how I do it:

Two solid weeks (14+ days) before magic happens, my ad needs to be out and keep going out, but the actual date varies. The best way I can describe the magic happening is there always comes a day in spring when suddenly it gets warm and the grass starts to grow and your phone starts ringing (and doesn't stop) <- If your ad is not out on that very day, for every day your ad is late, you miss out.

It is very important to be on time, whatever work or part of the spring boom you miss, you have forever lost...
Ok you can make up for some of it, but no time of the year is as busy as spring.

For me in Virginia the day magic happens is usually the 1st of April, or around that. Now my ad comes out on Tuesdays (newspaper), so I make sure my ad is in the paper starting TWO Tuesdays before the 1st, this usually falls on or around the 18th-21st of March but again, it varies some. What this does is it ensures my ad is out on that day, this year was weird and magic didn't really happen at all, thou things picked up it wasn't the usual Ka-BOOOM, last year it hit towards the last week of march, so you gotta be kinda early for sure.

Too early doesn't do much good, but it's better than too late.
It depends where you live also, I would imagine South Carolina might start a week or three before me, while Maine likely starts a week or two later, so to speak.

Then, I keep running that ad, every week all through April and May.
Usually by June I switch to EOW and by July I'm done for the year but I stay ready to resume anytime, just in case.

Do that, and you'll never worry about word of mouth again lol
Ok, not quite, but almost...!

How many customers in a season do you normally pick up from the news paper add? and how much does it cost? what does the add say?

Mike's All Season Service
11-05-2006, 08:48 PM
NEVER, NEVER Stop Advertising, When you are not working you need to be out trying to get more work! You always have to be networking and getting your name out there. and it never hurts to do some "Dry Calling" just to see how people are doing and if they need anything. And always remind them that you are there and not going away anytime soon. I know that sounds kinda mean but i guess just make them feel like you are always there for them. Make them feel like they are a friend or Family!!!:waving: