PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day

BMFL79
10-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Lesson learned, beware of septic systems.

I was mowing along just fine like usual when all of a sudden the mower sinks down and gets stuck. The ground was incredibly soft from the septic system. The crazy thing about it was that the last pass before turning around was firm, and two feet behind where I sunk it was firm. It was like I ran the mower off a cliff.

I tried to pry it up and stick some boards under the wheels to back it up but the front casters kept sinking in as I pried up on the back. Plus the tires were so wet and clogged with mud that they were slipping off the boards. I finally had to tow it out with the truck.

The worst part was that as I tried to dug it out to get the boards under it, the nice black water was seeping up into the hole. Smelled wonderful.

On a side note, my wife called as I was digging to tell me that she was in a car accident. She said everyone was ok, but our car was undrivable. Someone crossed 4 lanes in front of her and she t-boned them.

Great day all around.

Here's a picture of my mower in the poop.

huh
10-22-2006, 10:42 PM
yea uh.....dude your client needs to call the septic company ASAP

for one I can only imagine in Ohio that is probably 1,000,000 worth of fines

but their leach field is not working properly....and their tank must be WAY full as well....I am surprised their drains work at all;) ;) ;) :dizzy:

and glad your family is safe as well :) :) :)

BUCKEYE MOWING
10-22-2006, 10:47 PM
WOW !! That is bad ....What was the customers reaction ??

DBL
10-22-2006, 11:02 PM
mowed a lawn for a guy that just moved into a house and it turns out he had an underground spring that ran to a stram in his neighbors yard didnt get stuck just gunned it and made some huge ruts in his back yard

mkwl
10-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Lesson learned, beware of septic systems.

I was mowing along just fine like usual when all of a sudden the mower sinks down and gets stuck. The ground was incredibly soft from the septic system. The crazy thing about it was that the last pass before turning around was firm, and two feet behind where I sunk it was firm. It was like I ran the mower off a cliff.

I tried to pry it up and stick some boards under the wheels to back it up but the front casters kept sinking in as I pried up on the back. Plus the tires were so wet and clogged with mud that they were slipping off the boards. I finally had to tow it out with the truck.

The worst part was that as I tried to dug it out to get the boards under it, the nice black water was seeping up into the hole. Smelled wonderful.

On a side note, my wife called as I was digging to tell me that she was in a car accident. She said everyone was ok, but our car was undrivable. Someone crossed 4 lanes in front of her and she t-boned them.

Great day all around.

Here's a picture of my mower in the poop.

That sux, did you charge the customer for the damage to the mower? That scag will need a real good cleaning before you use it again!:dizzy:

surgeon83
10-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Glad you were able to get it out. There are so many tight places we take out mowers that we would NEVER be able to get them out if something happened.

LLandscaping
10-22-2006, 11:14 PM
I got my Scag stuck a few times because usually all of the sudden it just sinks. But luckily I usually just pull it out with my other Scag. That looks like a stinky mess and I think its time to call the septic tank man!

ALarsh
10-22-2006, 11:18 PM
I have been there. I have had to pull my Z out with the truck 3 times so far this year. Trust me it could have been worse. I dropped my Z down the first half of a retaining wall (approx 4 feet)... I thank god that it was a shitty homeowner wall where they kind of stacked rocks up and wasn't a straight drop down and I also thank god that I stopped after that because if I went another 3 feet I would have gone over the second part of the wall which was a 7 foot drop.

KS_Grasscutter
10-22-2006, 11:23 PM
Wow, talk about having a sh**y day...

DBL
10-22-2006, 11:49 PM
did she get a bath afterwards

BMFL79
10-23-2006, 12:05 AM
did she get a bath afterwards

Yeah, a nice bubble bath.

They are having the system inspected again. They just moved into the house in the summer. It sat vacant for about 2 years and they had the system inspected before they moved in. They think that with the onset of all the new water in the system that it may have had a problem that couldn't be detected when it was basically dry.

stuffdeer
10-23-2006, 12:14 AM
Wow, What a coincidence, I got m ZTR stuck today, But it was just in some REALLY stick mud, I ended p using my WB to pull it out...

WildWest
10-23-2006, 12:15 AM
When we were in Florida during hurricane Charley, we had so much rain my neighbors septic backed up. Once the leach field is saturated septics just don't work!

I would have left the local self-car-wash a STINKIN! That black muck

S T I N K S !

parkeeee
10-23-2006, 08:39 AM
To get stuck is one thing, to get stuck in stink is another.

Only got stuck once this year in a ditch and was able to pull it out with the truck.

Tharrell
10-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Man, that's a bad situation. I've been there with a rented Z. I called the shop and a guy came out and pulled the front end around 90 degrees and drove it out! DOH!!!
It was stuck up to the top of the hubs.

Idealtim
10-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Theres nothing like that sinking feeling you get 1 to 2 seconds befor everything goes in...

Tharrell
10-23-2006, 11:42 PM
I found something that you can think about next time you think you're having a bad day.
Now THIS guy is having a bad day.
It's a Russian MIG 29 Fulcrum, I don't know the circumstances.

BMFL79
10-26-2006, 02:50 AM
I found something that you can think about next time you think you're having a bad day.

I bet his pants smelled like my mower deck!

Total.Lawn.Care
10-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Got mine stuck once, in a ditch at a customers house. I only had tie down straps and had to use the truck to pull it out. Ever since, I keep a come-a-long in the trailer and plenty of chain. I have some places that I cannot get the truck to it if it were to get stuck again.

I have one house now that I think they are having septic problems. I do not know if they have notified thier landlord yet or not. I have to mow around and cut that area with the trimmer.

Glad your family is okay.

GotGreen
10-26-2006, 03:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su1MU0tWSUU

These were the circumstances.

Howie's Lawn Care
10-26-2006, 11:37 PM
I had a bad day today. I went to TSC to get a toolbox for my truck and grabbed the wrong size. Most said 6',7', or 8', but this one said compact truck and I didn't notice. I'm going to look like an idiot when I exchange it.