PDA

View Full Version : sprinkler donuts

Ed G
10-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Can anyone please suggest an on-line source for purchasing sprinkler donuts - cheap?

PurpHaze
10-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Why? No faith in pop-up capabilities? :laugh:

Ed G
10-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Oh, I have faith in pop-ups. I also have faith in my snapper to cut anything.

After all this manual labor, I do want to protect my new investment :) .

Had the zones operating with the controller for the first time yesterday.

After four months of the sprinkler system being disconnected, the grass was wondering what all the wet stuff was.

That Rainbird ESP-4MI is a pretty cool controller. I love the zone test function. Lets me stay in the backyard and check head operation without a 1000 trips to the controller location.

PurpHaze
10-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Oh, I have faith in pop-ups. I also have faith in my snapper to cut anything.

After all this manual labor, I do want to protect my new investment :) .

Chicken!!!! :)

Had the zones operating with the controller for the first time yesterday.

Any pictures yet? How's the overall coverage look so far?

After four months of the sprinkler system being disconnected, the grass was wondering what all the wet stuff was.

What?... No dogs to pee in the back yard? :laugh:

That Rainbird ESP-4MI is a pretty cool controller. I love the zone test function. Lets me stay in the backyard and check head operation without a 1000 trips to the controller location.

Any controller with a zone test function is a joy. Any controller with a remote is ecstasy. :p

Ed G
10-23-2006, 09:34 AM
I meant to ask in another thread, but what pix would you like to see? Gimme a "shoping list".

Coverage is amazing. I can't walk anywhere in the yard without getting shot in the eye with a stream of water.

I just finished the job at about 3:00 PM (est) yesterday.

PurpHaze
10-23-2006, 09:46 AM
I meant to ask in another thread, but what pix would you like to see? Gimme a "shoping list".

Anything you find of interest.

Coverage is amazing. I can't walk anywhere in the yard without getting shot in the eye with a stream of water.

Then it sounds like we have head-to-head coverage pretty much. THAT'S the name of the game. As more homes are built in the surrounding areas you'll need to keep an eye on things to see if the pressure goes down any more. If their radii are a little too much right now you can always knock them down a little to keep things in balance.

I just finished the job at about 3:00 PM (est) yesterday.

Now you'll be ready to tackle your neighbors' irrigation systems? :)

Ed G
10-23-2006, 09:55 AM
no way.

I have been asked by a neighbor to help with the design and install of his system.

I'll do my own work, but in order to keep harmony in the neighborhood, I'm going to recommend the guy hire an irrigation pro.

PurpHaze
10-23-2006, 07:32 PM
no way.

I have been asked by a neighbor to help with the design and install of his system.

I'll do my own work, but in order to keep harmony in the neighborhood, I'm going to recommend the guy hire an irrigation pro.

Not as easy as some think, eh? :laugh:

Uranus
10-23-2006, 07:41 PM
www.www.costlessirrigation.com try this. 15 surrounds for 50 bucks

justgeorge
10-24-2006, 08:00 AM
www.www.costlessirrigation.com try this. 15 surrounds for 50 bucks
while I was browsing there I noticed they are selling Hunter adjustment keys for $10 + $5 shipping - I need to get in on that action!

MarcSmith
10-24-2006, 08:29 AM
being that you are clermont Fl, any home depot or lowes , at lest when I lived there sold the donuts

http://www.irrigator.com/location.htm

Florida Irrigation Supply had em too...page 30 of their catalog.

I always hated string trimming the st augustine off of them. but a necessary evil....

Ed G
10-24-2006, 01:14 PM
what if I wasn't from clermont, then lowes or home depot wouldn't sell them? :)

I hate Florida irrigation. They once told me I couldn't buy pop-up sprinkler bodies (without nozzles) and treated me like I was stupid for asking for such a thing.

I'm looking for CHEAP donuts - about a buck at most.

I have found plastic donuts for $1.29.

Anyone familiar with these:

http://www.gillroys.com/Hoses_and_sprinklers/Underground_sprinkler_accessories/Poly_Sprinkler_Donut-s768841.html

MarcSmith
10-24-2006, 01:24 PM
go concrete. you wont be dissapointed. even if you ahve to pay more, they will last longer. I don't think the plastic ones woudl hol dup very well to the UV from the sun

If the system was installed right, which I'm sure it was, you really don't need the donuts...

I'd bet even an truvalue or ace woudl have the donuts as well...

Ed G
10-24-2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks. I'll check out Ace or even Willis Hardware - do you remember that place?

Th

Where in Clermont did you live?

e

MarcSmith
10-24-2006, 02:15 PM
I lived in Orlando down about 3 miles south of the the Beeline just off john young parkway....Place called Whisper Lakes...

PurpHaze
10-24-2006, 10:41 PM
HAS to be a lot of hemorrhoids in FL so I imagine the donuts are not far behind. :laugh:

Dirty Water
10-24-2006, 10:48 PM
I've never installed donuts, I think it depends on the type of turf and soil you have.

I guess with a fast growing grass and sandy soil, they could be usefull.

bicmudpuppy
10-24-2006, 10:59 PM
I've never installed donuts, I think it depends on the type of turf and soil you have.

I guess with a fast growing grass and sandy soil, they could be usefull.
Imagine bentgrass on steroids Jon. Bermuda and St. Augustine grow on runners like bentgrass, but those runners are more dense than the stems of any goose grass or crabgrass you have ever seen. Warm season grasses like this can be installed in plugs or strips. Imagine six inch strips on 12 inch centers and having perfect turf in less than 4 months! Bed edging has the same challenges. Where in a climate like yours or even mine, a cultivated edge is cut once a year. Down south, they edge monthly or even more often.

Dirty Water
10-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Imagine bentgrass on steroids Jon. Bermuda and St. Augustine grow on runners like bentgrass, but those runners are more dense than the stems of any goose grass or crabgrass you have ever seen. Warm season grasses like this can be installed in plugs or strips. Imagine six inch strips on 12 inch centers and having perfect turf in less than 4 months! Bed edging has the same challenges. Where in a climate like yours or even mine, a cultivated edge is cut once a year. Down south, they edge monthly or even more often.

Thats what I thought, I find grass that spreads by runners and rhizomes much more unattractive grass, but thats just because I'm used to looking at rye grass up here.

Ed G
10-25-2006, 05:55 AM
During the summer months, I cut my grass twice a week.

Edging and weedwacking is done every week.

Anyone have any experience with the plastic donuts?

I mostly want them to protect the heads along the fencing from mower tires running over them. A slight grade toward the fence has the back edge of the sprinkler head raised about 1/2 inch.

Hank Reardon
10-25-2006, 10:50 AM
I like to use liquid edging in applications like this (I.e.: RoundUp).

MarcSmith
10-25-2006, 11:25 AM
the problem with roundup and st agustine is that you will get translocation down the stolon very easily and very far and end with much larger bown patches than you initially wanted.

Dont ask me how I know....:)

Hank Reardon
10-25-2006, 10:02 PM
the problem with roundup and st agustine is that you will get translocation down the stolon very easily and very far and end with much larger bown patches than you initially wanted.

Ouch,, not a problem with our rye. BTW, your sig cracks me up every time I see a post from you. Friggin' hilarious. :laugh:

MarcSmith
10-26-2006, 07:39 AM
Ouch,, not a problem with our rye. BTW, your sig cracks me up every time I see a post from you. Friggin' hilarious. :laugh:

not a problem with Fescue up here either.

but if you spray some roundup on a st augustine stolon that was in your flower bed, it would translocate the roundup a good 12 inches. so 2-3" runner that you wanted to kill is now 12 inches dead....one dead runner is not a problem, but if you spray a 6" fence line, you'll end up with a 12" fench line or more...

but St Agustien is a voraciious grower and like was posed above you could plug a yard on 18" centers and have lush green lawn in several months.

Hank Reardon
10-27-2006, 01:51 AM
not a problem with Fescue up here either.

but if you spray some roundup on a st augustine stolon that was in your flower bed, it would translocate the roundup a good 12 inches. so 2-3" runner that you wanted to kill is now 12 inches dead....one dead runner is not a problem, but if you spray a 6" fence line, you'll end up with a 12" fench line or more...

but St Agustien is a voraciious grower and like was posed above you could plug a yard on 18" centers and have lush green lawn in several months.

Think of the time you's save with less mowing! Besides, the fence posts would last longer without being line-trimmed all the time. (I'm a, "...glass is half-full" kind of guy. Or is it half-baked...)

Precision
10-31-2006, 03:52 PM

I have very little problem with that. just have to have a very close application and a tight spray going. I almost never edge around sprinkler heads except where people insist on keeping those Damn Donuts.

Ed
plastic donuts, buy 2 for each one you need. One slight clip with the edger and they are done.

Cement donuts, plan on excavating them out of the soil at least once a year, or they will sink in and disappear.

in my opinion, donuts are a complete waste of time and money. if the heads are installed properly don't worry about it and just let the grass grow. Once a year, or twice if your really anal, edge or line trim them out. Usually the twice weekly pop up action will train the runners around the head's path.

MarcSmith
10-31-2006, 04:00 PM
heck my folks had a donught cutter that was hooked to a weedy shaft. all of the snow bird who came down had the donoughts, and wanted to see em...money's money..:)

Ed G
11-04-2006, 07:22 AM
in case anyone is interested, you can get the concrete donuts in the garden dept of Home Depot for $0.97 ea.

after the heads being down for a short while and settling, I no longer need 'em.

I adjusted each one with the ball of my foot :)

PurpHaze
11-04-2006, 01:33 PM
After the heads being down for a short while and settling, I no longer need 'em. I adjusted each one with the ball of my foot :)

Boots or sandals??? :laugh:

Ed G
11-05-2006, 06:27 AM
Barefoot, but I was wearing my jeans and knee pads.

PurpHaze
11-05-2006, 11:57 AM
The Daisy Duke look??? :laugh:

MarcSmith
11-05-2006, 03:52 PM
uhgg not an image I want to think about....

PurpHaze
11-06-2006, 09:18 AM
C'mon Marc... Halloween was just over so I can imagine Ed in his Daisy Duke costume out back stepping on his sprinklers barefoot. :laugh:

Ed G
11-06-2006, 10:02 AM
I don't know how you guys guesses how I like to dress when doing yard work!

I actually have a picture of me getting ready to go adjusting heads...

Hank Reardon
11-06-2006, 10:10 AM
That is just wrong, Ed.

MarcSmith
11-06-2006, 10:13 AM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

there goes breakfast....

Wet_Boots
11-06-2006, 10:25 AM
I'm going to have to burn my monitor. :(

MarcSmith
11-06-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm going to have to burn my monitor. :(

why bother, your retina's are already scarred for life and most likey can't see any more anyhow...

jerryrwm
11-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Bizzy tring tu poke my eiyes outt. And nevr lurned tu tuch tipe...

Precision
11-06-2006, 06:48 PM
If someone will help me fund me on the lamb. I live close enough to Ed to do dastardly things to him for posting that.

Eewwwwww.

That was worse than yawning when you hit a fresh pile of dog crap with the line trimmer.

Ed G
11-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Man, you guys aren't very flattering. I thought you would like my Daisy Duke look.

I bet you don't even have any appreciation for my matching tool bag.

I can put PVC cutters, glue and primer in there and whip out my tool in a moments notice.

Darn irrigation pro's have no respect for Joe Homeowner.

Dirty Water
11-06-2006, 08:22 PM
That actually brings up a thought I've had before. I used to do concrete work and always wore a nailbag.

I've wondered about modifying my nailbag to be able to hold a pair of cutters, a can of glue and perhaps some swing pipe fittings. Does anyone do this? Right now I just carry around a plastic tool tote.

MarcSmith
11-06-2006, 09:23 PM
how about one of those "bucket boss caddies" not as flattering as a tool belt...but it keep sthins a bit better organized?

PurpHaze
11-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Sick, Ed... REAL sick!!! :laugh:

PurpHaze
11-06-2006, 10:16 PM
That actually brings up a thought I've had before. I used to do concrete work and always wore a nailbag.

I've wondered about modifying my nailbag to be able to hold a pair of cutters, a can of glue and perhaps some swing pipe fittings. Does anyone do this? Right now I just carry around a plastic tool tote.

We've tried the tool belt thingy without much success. Not enough room in them. However, an "earth friendly" (canvas) shopping bag works wonders. Roomy. :)

Hank Reardon
11-06-2006, 10:38 PM
Plastic tote for parts, canvas bag for tools.

WetWell
11-07-2006, 05:06 PM
My dog saw that picture and went in the backyard to wash his mouth out

http://files.blog-city.com/files/aa/31561/p/f/dog_and_sprinkler.jpg

Wet_Boots
11-07-2006, 07:41 PM
My ISP has been down ever since that picture appeared. You broke the internet!

Ed G
10-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Yep 6 years to late.

I no longer have grass - it's all concrete and I found an on-line source for green donuts made of carpeting.

Anyone want me to re-post that photo again? I still have it.

But, to be serious... I discovered I only needed 4 donuts for the sprinkler heads along the driveway

ArTurf
10-16-2012, 09:34 AM
no way.

Good choice, you can get into some things you don't want to.

But I have to wonder why you need donuts if the head is installed at the proper height? Are you cutting your grass that low?

Realized this was an old thread.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
10-16-2012, 07:11 PM
I can't name a single self respecting, professional landscaper/irrigator who would install one of these things. These look like they are for the over 65 DIY crowd who have nothing better to do.... just my $.02

Kiril
10-17-2012, 10:59 AM
I thought donuts were to keep grass from growing over the sprinkler? The only thing that funnel looks like it will accomplish is accumulate clippings and leaves and funnel water to the base of the sprinkler, causing the soil to be even more unstable.

Sprinkler Buddy
10-17-2012, 11:21 AM
I thought donuts were to keep grass from growing over the sprinkler? The only thing that funnel looks like it will accomplish is accumulate clippings and leaves and funnel water to the base of the sprinkler, causing the soil to be even more unstable.

Donuts don't keep grass from growing over sprinkler heads unless they are maintained. My product requires much less maintenance to keep the sprinkler heads visible due to the fact that it is the user that custom fits it to their sprinkler head giving them the only true custom fit. Preventing grass from taking root between the donut and sprinkler head itself is the key to low maintenance. Similar products don't do this and require much more maintenance for them to remain effective long term.

As far as grass clippings, they shrivel up and disappear just as they do in your lawn now. Leaves do accumulate but they are easily removed. Actually the vacuum of the mower decks going over them often picks the majority of them out of this funnel. lol Once this funnel is installed, it doesn't retain water. All water gets absorbed by the surrounding ground just as it would without the funnel.

Kiril
10-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Sorry dude, don't agree with you on several of your points, and I'm still not seeing what good this will do, other than being an eye sore.

Wet_Boots
10-17-2012, 12:41 PM
It does provide something to trip over, so Lionel Hutz approves.

Kiril
10-17-2012, 12:43 PM

Or to sprain your ankle .... the lawyers (leaches) will like it.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
10-17-2012, 01:34 PM
so long sprinkler buddy guy!

Ed G
10-17-2012, 01:55 PM
I like the donuts along the driveway to keep truck tires off my sprinkler heads.

The Florida folks understand why.

irrig8r
10-17-2012, 02:08 PM
The sprinklers I work on don't need donuts.... or coffee. And they get all messy and sticky with icing. Of course maple bars and jelly donuts are the most difficult because they don't come with holes.

Sprinkler Buddy
10-17-2012, 02:46 PM

You can walk on this donut all day long and not trip, it's made from a flexible material that gives. Concrete donuts often causes the sprinkler heads to fail when it's forced into them with the mower tires. If they don't sink beneath the ground first. Yet many folks swear by them to this day. "Different strokes for different Folks". :-) It's All Good! :usflag:

Sprinkler Buddy
10-17-2012, 02:55 PM
The sprinklers I work on don't need donuts.... or coffee. And they get all messy and sticky with icing. Of course maple bars and jelly donuts are the most difficult because they don't come with holes.

"The sprinklers I work on don't need donuts...."

You shouldn't need to be working on sprinklers nearly as often as we all do, That's my whole point in a nut shell. I know some of us do make a great living doing so and many of those irrigation guys always will. Donuts aren't for everyone but I'll take a few Sugar Raised donuts if your taking orders. :-)

Ed G
10-26-2012, 02:05 PM
I realized the one thing I forgot to mention about these pop-up sprayers along my drive way...

the so called irrigation "pro" who installed my system used no flex hose anywhere.

All bodies (rotary and pop-up) are directly attached to the pvc laterals with pvc fittings.

So in order to keep the weight of a vehicle off the heads, the donuts are required.

Sprinkler Buddy
10-26-2012, 02:27 PM
I realized the one thing I forgot to mention about these pop-up sprayers along my drive way...

the so called irrigation "pro" who installed my system used no flex hose anywhere.

All bodies (rotary and pop-up) are directly attached to the pvc laterals with pvc fittings.

So in order to keep the weight of a vehicle off the heads, the donuts are required.

I haven't found any donuts that really work against vehicle traffic, Including my Sprinkler Buddy. Those big concrete cones or spikes that some use work because folks can see them and don't want to ruin their vehicle tires. Many places don't allow them to be used though. The concrete donuts sink so quickly, they don't provide long term protection against vehicles unless one is constantly pulling them back up to where they need to be. That's been my experience as a lawn care professional for many years now.

Sprinkler Buddy
10-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Using flex hose, etc... doesn't always eliminate accidental breakage from mower traffic, etc... either. It does reduce it I'll agree 100% but the only way to eliminate accidental breakage is to keep the mower tires, etc... off of them to begin with. Keeping sprinkler heads visible is the key in my opinion. My invention "sprinkler Buddy" does that better than any other product found on the market today. It requires the least amount of maintenance long term and it doesn't sink or float away like other similar products.

Sprinkler Buddy
10-26-2012, 02:52 PM
so long sprinkler buddy guy!

LOL, Sprinkler Buddy guy isn't going anywhere. Based on the # of multiple pack reorders I have received after one has tried my product, I'll be around for years to come. :-) One day, even some of my doubters will give it a try and see that it really does work. :usflag:

Sprinkler Buddy
10-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Just received another "Reorder" from Chula Vista CA.

I am really beginning to love the power of the internet. :usflag:
Thank You Jesus! :-)

irrig8r
10-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Is Sprinkler Buddy a forum sponsor now?

Sprinkler Buddy
10-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Is Sprinkler Buddy a forum sponsor now?

That he is! :-) I'm also a veteran lawn care professional.

Mike Leary
10-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Wonder how it works with this: :laugh: